Harry Belafonte – Duh-O

January 8, 2006

I really detest seeing morons like this spouting garbage while standing next to the likes of a Hugo Chavez or a Castro. It can’t simply be stupidity, because noone’s that dumb. It has to be a form of racism. Oh, but we can’t say THAT. What BS.

"No matter what the greatest tyrant in the world, the greatest terrorist in the world, George W. Bush says, we’re here to tell you: Not hundreds, not thousands, but millions of the American people … support your revolution," Belafonte told Chavez during the broadcast.

The 78-year-old Belafonte, famous for his calypso-inspired music, including the "Day-O" song, was a close collaborator of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and is now a UNICEF goodwill ambassador. He also has been outspoken in criticizing the U.S. embargo of Cuba.

Talk about a collection of folks who sound like they belong on a banana boat.

Come Mr. Harry man tally my banana

Daylight come and me want you go home

As long as home is anywhere other than the country in which you and Glover lined your pockets, scumbag.

Belafonte led a delegation of Americans including the actor Danny Glover and the Princeton University scholar Cornel West that met the Venezuelan president for more than six hours late Saturday. Some in the group attended Chavez’s television and radio broadcast Sunday.

Comments:
  1. NikName says:

That ABSOLUTELY boils my blood

2. FloridaPatty says:

What to do with their celebraty one the light dims? Hmmmm. I guess anything for an audience and a few seconds of ovation.

3. FloridaPatty says:

What to do with their celebraty once the light dims? Hmmmm. I guess anything for an audience and a few seconds of ovation.

4. Not a Hand Wringer says:

Not that I really care what’s going on in Venezuela, but how exactly do you know that millions of American’s don’t support Chavez?
    I do know this much. Millions of Americans have litte use for President Bush, and while calling him a terrorist maybe be over the line of reality…he certainly enables and inspires new terroism with his ill-advised medling in Iraq.
    In my opinion of course.

5. TheAlamo says:

Harry Belafonte – Duh-O
    “No matter what the greatest tyrant in the world, the greatest terrorist in the world, George W. Bush says, we’re here to tell you: Not hundreds, not thousands, but millions of the American people … support your revolution,” Belafonte told Chavez during the broadcast.
    Doesn’t surprise me. 98% of all Hollywood people and most of the big money people are communistic in thought as well as deed. Why not? It is the greatest form of monopoly protection ever invented.
    As a guise, you can talk about “reaching out to the poor,” while you laugh all the way to the bank because you are keeping them that way on purpose.
    Notice how many wealthy talk about the poor, and even give money away, but never, never give them the answers as to why they are poor, and what to do about it.
    Look at Time magazine. They have had as men of the year…Mao Tse Tung, Adolph Hitler, Fidel Castro…among many “celebrities.” Guess the number of people’s deaths you are responsible for, gets you international acclaim.
    F’em all.

6. danascully says:

It’s getting harder and harder for me to separate Danny Glover the actor and Danny Glover the extremist when I see him onscreen. Some of these Hollywood personalities just can’t see that they are going overboard. Just an opinion of course.

7. Name Harry’s last hit song, or Danny’s last hit movie. They gotta do something to stay in the news, because their careers aren’t keeping them there.

8. Neantaeus says:

Yes old Harry is in reality an idiot but Dan, it’s Dey or Day-O not Duh-O. Or was that spelling meant to evoke the voice of Homer Belafonte from whom Harry was cloned by the infamous Dr. Moreau on his Island of Lost Souls?

9. COLUMBO says:

is he opening for Kanye?

10. coconuttree says:

Why does the greatest democracy in the world never side with ordinary people?. Because big businesses run American politics. If you don’t have the big bucks to pay the lobbyists, you’re nowhere.
    Before Castro, Cuba was run by dictator Baptista, profiting were the American mobsters and businesses. After Castro came to power, the American government could have sided with him and with the people of Cuba. But because of the big companies running the show in Washington that was never the case. So Castro was driven in the hands of the Russians.
    In Venezuela the poor never profited from the oil richness. But the USA will never side with the people of Venezuela because this is not in the interest of the big companies. Same happened in Chile and Argentine. As long as the big bussinesses are running the show in Washington, American foreign policy will be like this.

11. TheAlamo says:

Posted by: coconuttree | Monday, January 09, 2006 at 09:38 AM
    I agree with all of your statement above except this portion. Castro was never “driven” into the hands of the Russians because he was a communist in the first place. Bautista was characterized by the pro-communist news services here as a “dictator,” when the fact is that he was wanting to establish a country much like our own was in the beginning. Nothing new with that, as we sold out Chiang Chai Check to the communist Mao Tse Tsung as well, and the media portrayed him the same way. One thing for certain. When our media lambasts a foreign leader….then he is not a communist, but a free market person. When they laud a leader, you can bet….he is a dictator.
    Big business loves communism because under that system they can protect their monopolies. This is precisely why the anti-trust laws here were dissolved, and you saw “merger mania.” Now, the monopolies are in total control. In China, Russia, it is called communism because the government holds legal title to the corporations. Here it is fascism, because the corporate title has not changed ownership. Instead, they just receive government favors and subsidies indirectly through the system of “controls” set up by government to eliminate the competition. We know it as environmental controls, corporate regulations, etc., What the public doesn’t know is that these regulations are only “practiced” on the competitiors of the big money corps, while they continue to pollute, and run roughshod over the country as always. Ever wonder why the environmental control agency and other similar control agencies are still in business? To control competition….not the environment…..else we would have less pollution….not more. You would think Americans would figure that one out….but not yet.
    Castro was always a scumbag pig.

12. TheAlamo says:

Posted by: TheAlamo | Monday, January 09, 2006 at 10:45 AM
    Another quick note. Pinochet had Chile turned around and the people were thriving. We got rid of him. My wife is from Peru, where, Fujimori ahd the country going in the right direction and the people were thriving. Clinton got rid of Fujimori, now the place is once again….a basket case. The criminal in charge down there now, was in prison when Fujimori was preaident. The communist “shining path” guerillas were outlawed under him, and almost eliminated….but Clinton to the rescue. Now the country is a shambles….but the corporate interests are back in total control.
    Like I said above…when our media demonizes a leader, you can bet, he is good for the country and the people. When our media lauds the leader, you can bet….he is a dictator. Watch, you will see it over and over again. Unforunately, our government is no different, having put many, many dictators into power, while eliminating good leaders. Now, here we eliminate anti-trust laws which give the monopolies total control. Our Bill of Rights is under total assault by our own government, and all the while the people….sleep, never putting two and two together.

13. Fausta says:

Hugo’s singing http://badhairblog.blogspot.com/2006/01/im-just-wild-about-harry-im-just-wild.html I’m just wild about Harry.
    Don’t you just love the irony of Cornell West, who earns over $250,000 at Princeton and makes Hollywood movies bellyache about the USA?

14. Phoenix says:

Alamo,
    Did you see TIME’S People of the Year this year? Kinda blows your diatribe about big business/communists, etc., etc.,….
    Thanks for the links the other night. I spent hours there reading. Can you tell me if you are conservative or liberal?

15. coconuttree says:

What I’m trying to say is that if The USA makes better choices in their foreign policy, the world can be a better place.

16. annie says:

Coconuttree You are dead right about Fidel Castro. Thank God he got rid of that evil dictator Batista, with his secret police torture murder squad. Think on this as well, when all the other leaders who have managed to line their pockets and their Swiss Bank accounts over the years are now pushing up daisies, Fidel is still there. I bet you when he does go, there wont be some big fat bank account somewhere either. One of few guys with some principles, and I don’t care if there are Cubans around who don’t like me saying that, dig out, I don’t need your votes!!

17. TheAlamo says:

Alamo,
    Posted by: Phoenix | Monday, January 09, 2006 at 05:32 PM
    No, I don not spend money on rags like that, and secondly, what they did this year has no bearing on what my statement was about…
    I was not talking about “this year.” Obviously Hitler was not named man of the year this year, nor was Castro or Mao. But, feel free to check their back issues, you will find out that I am right.
    Am I a conservative or a liberal?
    I really don’t believe in labels like that. Any thinking person should watch what the man does that represents them. If the person stands behind the Constitution, and is not willing to break the law, then you have a good representative, irregardless of what the party label is. IF they were all held to the law, then all this clamor over this group, this benefit, etc….all the things of a “democracy” would cease to exist. People would no longer have need of a group to identify with, since both parties (and they should allow as many others as wish) would be obeying the law, and not catering to this group or that group.
    I am for the freedom of the people….and any politican that represent such. Currently, there is one up there. We need 434 others to join him.
    So, if you want to label me, call me a Jefferson fan, or Bastiat fan. Their take on government and economics is what made America great, and if reinstated, would do so again.
    Unfortunately, the people have been convinced that govenment and economics are not related, except for government “controls” over vicious capitalists, when, they are, in fact, totally entertwined.
    But, that is another subject for another time.
    Now THIS is a diatribe…..:)

18. roy says:

Whether we like it or not, Hugo Chavez won the election fair and square.
    And as long as there is that big a difference in income between the small group of filthy rich people and the large group of poor people, people like Chavez have the best chances of winning an election.

19. Phoenix says:

Roy,
    75% of the people of Venezuela did not vote in the election. That is hardly fair and square.

20. TheAlamo says:

Posted by: annie | Monday, January 09, 2006 at 05:56 PM
    Don’t know what you ahve been smoking, but you might want to consider, something a little less potent. Whatever it is, it has hallucinatory effects.

21. thealamo says:

Whether we like it or not, Hugo Chavez won the election fair and square.
    Posted by: roy | Monday, January 09, 2006 at 08:35 PM
    How do you know he won the election fair and square?
    But, that is neither here or there. As long as people keep associating the “cure” for poverty being government, you will have totalitarian figures. Notice you alluded to Chavez? Many here refer to the president in much the sme way. One man does not make or break an economy. What DOES destroy economies is monopolitic control by the big money people, and hamstringing regulations on business and growth.
    What governments DO like is a poor and illiterate electorate, who they can get to blame their woes on whoever is in charge of the government. Why? Because this keeps the people clamoring for more government solutions, which, of course, with each new “leader” never accomplish anything.
    Get governments out of economics, and the “protection” racket, and let people live and compete. This is the best chance of causing the “poor” to shrink, and the middle to grow. There is proof of this.
    Once there was a country in which government did what it was supposed to do, which is, to protect the rights of the people, and defend against foreign aggression. The people were left unfettered by ridiculous controls and grew into a strong and prosperous people. But…as time passed, they became complacent, and began looking at government to “provide,” and then made the suicidal mistake of trusting those elected to do a job….and that they did. They completely engulfed the people with rules, regulations, licenses and taxes in order to keep them subservient. Now, the people clamor for this leader, or that leader to change things and “take care of them,” when the power to do so has always rested where they can take it, grasp it, and thrive on it….in their own shoes. But…do you really think government will tell you that, or get out of your way? Not profitble for those who thrive off of favors and passing bills to please this, or that group, who, of course, contribute generously to their campaign funds…which…do NOT have to be used to campaign with. In the old days it was called bribery. Now, it is “priming the pump.”

22. Phoenix says:

Alamo,
    You brought up the TIME issue. I was making a seque from your statements about big business being SO bad and ruining this country to the three people on the cover of TIME – Bill and Melinda Gates and Bono. Talk about big business. And gee… they made it because of their philanthropy to mankind. Where did they get their geets? Big business. C A P I T A L I S M.
    Anyway, your diatribe wasn’t a diatribe. Yeah, all your talking points are glued to the Constitution and are not much in the way of original thought, but I do agree with doing away with labels. I can’t find my way in either party, but find myself in bits and pieces in each. So, I claim none. I am, however, a rip-snorting neo-con.
    In the reading from your link – my impression, after several hours of reading, was I have never seen so many cynical, miserable, wannabes in my life. And I did read a lot, so I’m not talking off the top of my head. I had to search for this quotation and have no idea who wrote it as I jotted it down years ago, but I think it sums up how these men affected me as they epitomize the message in this quotation:
    “Irony, the enemy of deep feeling and strong belief, is a defense mechanism that too often produces unearned cynicism and cheap effects. Good satire pricks hypocrisy, but it also has a tragic dimension that reminds us of our common fate.”
    I don’t think you, or any man of all I read about on your site, are able to see the common fate of mankind. Few of the great philosophers were either, so no big deal because few found themselves in positions of leadership – though many tried. Those favored on your site certainly tried, and when they failed, they wrote miserable ramblings about how superior they were to the average man. Anyway… if a leader loses touch with the fact that he, too, is of the common man, then he shouldn’t be in a position of leadership.

23. TheAlamo says:

What site do you keep referring to?

24. TheAlamo says:

Big business. C A P I T A L I S M.
    Posted by: Phoenix | Monday, January 09, 2006 at 09:48 PM
    Actually my statments are glued more to general liberty and free market economics. The Constitution is the law for the government…not the people. The only laws people need are those which protect the life and property of others from harm and of course, we collectively should defend our nation. Other than that, all other control should be at the state or local level. Period.
    Big business is NOT capitalism, it is monopolism. When big business has a bigger say in control than small business, or you or I, for that matter then we are headed for trouble. I doubt whether Gates became rich because he gave away money. It is a much better bet to state that he gives away money because he is rich…which, unlike many, I do not hold that against him, nor any other person of means. It is only when they try to squelch competition that I have a problem with them. And the Gates record is clear on that note. That is not capitalism.
    I am curious about you though. You say yoju are a “capitalist?” What does that mean to you? What do you feel the proper role of government should be?

25. Phoenix says:

Capitalism = Lassez faire. Or. Here’s an egg. Thank you. Here’s some hay.
    I didn’t say I was a capitalist, but I am.
    Right now the proper role of the people for the government, by the government, and of the government should be to fumigate Congress and send all those slimey used-car salesmen home and bring in a fresh batch of independent guys and gals and start over. Dump the aides and the lobbyists and hire lackeys. Get some henchmen in to run the press room and restore some order there. Oh, yeah… and this new guvmint should shut down the MSM. What an atrocious example of freedom of speech they are.
    I have lots more, but I’m feeling quite twisted right now, and just wish people would shut up and let Bush do what he has to do.
    The site was: http://www.mises.org/
    Lyndon LaRouche… Mises…. lots of sorry dudes on that site.
    And this whining about big business is soooooooooo paranoid. And while I say that, I also think Eliot Spitzer should be our next president.
    And just because I’m so twisted, you live in another reality when it comes to the government and the ‘poor’.

26. shonane says:

If he wants to say this as an individual with opinions, then I think it is OK and he is entitled to do that. But, when he is representing others, then he needs to represent others.

27. TheAlamo says:

Posted by: Phoenix | Tuesday, January 10, 2006 at 12:00 AM
    Interesting. The current system to “help the poor” has failed to do so 100% of the time in 100% of the nations who ahve implemented it… and has historically created…..more poor. I have lived long enough to see it in actuality, since there was no welfare system until the 60’s and interestingly there were few poor, and those were usually disabled, or between jobs. AND they were quite well taken care of by chruches and other private sector aid.
    Lyndon Larouche? don’t know where you came up with the connection. Possibly Larouche may have quoted von Mises, but I am not privy to much info on Larouche, so I will accede to your opinion on that one.
    However, you state you are a capitalist, then go on to state that there are a lot of sorry writers on von Mises site. Which tells me either you are not a capitalist, or you really did not read any of the stuff on there. Capitalism, when functioning as the economic system IS free market economics.
    Controlled economies like we have today can hardly be called capitalism. Socialism is much closer to the right frame of reference.
    But Mises…different story.
    von Mises is perhaps the greatest economist to ever grace the earth. Basically laid the foundation for the teaching of free market economics, which, I am sure you had none of in college….neither did I, since it is taught in few places. The things I learned were after college. I was, in fact, a perfect clone when I came out of college…long hair and all. But with time, and worstening conditions I embarked on a life long study of the areas of government, economics and additional history. Though my major was history/government with an economics minor, the crap taught in college is classic leftist bullshit, working on emotion rather than logic and common sense.
    It sacrifices the many for the few, as do all planned economies.
    Government’s role is simple. The protect the nation from foreign invasion…and to leave you alone unless you break the law. The laws should be those that protect your person and property. When the law is used to provide, you no longer live in a free society. You should be able to do anything you wish, unless you cause harm to another person, or their property. Period. End of story. THAT is a free market. THAT is true capitalism.
    Don’t know for sure why you are so antagonistic…possibly a cover up for the obvious lack of knowledge you possess in these areas, but my guess is that you do have a much firmer grasp of the area of study upon which you embarked. It’s okay though, I have been in reality for a long, long time, and have actually seen others awaken. Perhaps one day…….

28. thealamo says:

Oh, Phoenix, I forgot to ask. What is your opinion of John Maynard Keynes?
    Just curious.

29. edward says:

Hugo Chavez…
    This man has accused our president of trying to have him assasinated many times…which is totally unherd of in 2006 …How many world leaders have you seen assinated ??? how about none..
    So what is this man up to ??
    He has called coni rice his little cocconunt girl in public speaches…
    He has taken Venezuela by vote…
    He is also a investor in voteing software company..which was used in the venezuelian connection and that software has been found to be corrupt and has become illegle to use in many states….
    He has instigated violence and riots to occur in neighboring countries like Argnitina where he laughed when protestors which he called his supporters did much property damage durring his visit durring the americas confrence..
    Hugo is a leader of a small poutaion that lives 80 percent in total poverty.All the time he is in control of CITO oil company and does buisness unrestricted inside the United States every day..He has recently given heating oil to the needed on the west coast with no interferance from our president..
    I am tired of people who become rich from ART such as singing and acting,then become some voice for the american people..
    I do not believe there are 1 million americans who even know or care who Hugo Chavez is,let alone support this lunatic.
    I wonder if lee has noticed that we vote in new presidents all the time while castro has never been voted out..Because he is a dictator..Hugo LOVES Castro.
    I do not support dictators…
    Hugo had the head of the democratic party arrested and charged with treason for trying to overthrow Hugo’s republican form of goverment..
    Her crime? She accepted 30,000.00 for publication of pro demoratic advertizing for the election campain..Who did she accept this money from ?
    President George Bush…
    She is now being tried in Venezuela for her supposed crime….
    All the time we continue to purchase oil from Venezuela..
    please look out for Maria Machado a 30 year old mom who supports democratic change in Venezuela..
    Hugo has a new friend voted in using Hugo,s voteing booth software..
    The president of Bolivia, an coca farmer who vows to make cocaine legal..
    Hugo Chavez has just purchase 100,000 ak47 from russia for his military of 50,000
    Hugo Chavez supports the FARC and has close ties to the Carrera families and the Caruna families ..both of which are world wide drug cartels..
    Hugo chavez has direct connections with the Mansur family in Aruba..
    Boycott anything Venezuela as well as any ignorant actor that tries to support such a person..

30. annie says:

The only thing Fidel Castro has been guilty of, was being naive when he got rid of Bastido and the Mafia guys who ran Cuba, and then coming to the US thinking they would help him rebuild the country. Of course, they would not, big business backs where the money is, and in Cuba it was with the gambling and prostitution joints, why should they care whether it was dirty money or not? Fidel was bad news to them!! Since then, the propaganda against him in the US has been extreme, why don’t you people go check it out. The reason why they keep it up, is because they need the votes of the Cubans who ‘fled’. If it is so bad in Cuba, how comes you don’t let all these Cubans who manage to get across in the boats stay (no way of flying in remember), how comes, you send them back unless they can actually get ashore, and then there is no guarantee they can stay unless they can paint a bleak picture, which of course, they will try very hard to do. Do I have to remind you as well that the Kennedys were all for Castro being assassinated, only thing is, it backfired on them. They should have realised that you can’t trust the Mafia. At the time, the only help Fidel Castro could get to rebuild the country was from Russia, or he would have gone under, and poor old Cuba has not done so very good since then because the US has tried everything possible for Cuba’s economy to fail. Let’s face it, once Fidel is gone, the Mafia will be back in there like a shot with their Casinos and prostitution and all. However, that will be OK The Alamo, you will be able to rejoice once again over Cuba, and your big business/Mafia economic heroes.

31. TheAlamo says:

Posted by: annie | Tuesday, January 10, 2006 at 06:17 PM
    Sorry Annie, but you are one of the most brainwashed individuals I have ever come across in my entire life. Read your own sentence above and answer your own question.
    If Cuba is such a “paradise” then why are so many people trying to escape? Those sent back are those that did not make to the shores of the US but were picked up in international waters–which is International Law–that is why those are sent back.
    Fidel was, and is a murdering thief. He was a communist from the beginning, and if you have the university provided idea that communism is the wonderful life, then why don’t you go live there? I had the same lies taught in many of my own collegiate history classes. Fortunately, I did my own independent research and discovered the truth.
    You hail Castro, but you won’t go live there will you? You have benefitted from the last vestiges and last gasp of the free market system and at the same time bought the lie that it is the fault of your own unhappiness as well.
    Bautista was hamstrung by the US government, and kept from initiating a free market system–by the US government. The death squads–which you falsely attribute to him, were Castro’s personal invention–not Bautista’s. Castro was, and is, a murdering bastard, who deserves to rot in hell.
    You need some serious help. I suggest you begin by looking up Fredric Bastiat and a little pamphlet called “The Lsw.” Written in 1850, by a Fenchman, long before scum like Castro were born, though 2 years after another piece of dung came upon the scene (Karl Marx). The French revolution ws the first “communist” revolution, and you may want to ask yourself this. IF communism is so good why did Lenin have to MURDER 35 million of his own people to get it “accepted?” Why did Mao Tse Tung have to MURDER 80 million of his own people to get it accepted? Why did Castro have to MURDER thousands of his own people to get it accepted? You are a victim of professor worship from your college history classes. They are lairs and thieves, just as Castro if they tell you such crap.
    But, I am sure you are one of those “fair” people, so do yourself a favor and read Bastiat. You think you care for the poor? The “common man?” Then read Bastiat, and f___ Castro.

32. annie says:

Are you kidding The Alamo, I would love to go live in Cuba, and there are quite a number of people from UK who are planning on doing just that after going on holiday there. It is quite popular now as a place that the British go on holiday to. They actually get to meet the people and talk to them, and there aint no secret police, or nuthin, following them around. The people tell it as it is, and the majority of them love Cuba and love Fidel. The Cubans that want to come to the US are the same type of people who you will find all over the world, who would like to live in the US for economic reasons. They hope they would have a better economic standard of living. If only it were possible to take everybody who would like to come, but it is not. Whether these people were picked up in International waters or not would make no difference, if they were genuine refugees and were fleeing persecution there would be no reason not to take them in, if the US truly feared they would be ill treated if they were returned. The truth is they would not be. Don’t blame Castro for that, it is the US that wont take them. Just like the Mexicans, you don’t want too many of them. You are the one who has bought into the propaganda, the regime of Batista was really oppressive, and you would get tortured or murdered if you objected. He ran Cuba with the help of the Mafia. The first people Castro turned to for help after he got rid of Batista’s regime was the US, he honestly believed they would help him because he had got rid of the Mafia and the rackets that had been going on in Cuba, but as I said, for big business, Fidel was bad news, they had been making good money while the Mafia had been there, who wants to back some socialist stuff!! You seem to just class everybody as Communists, but, although you say you have studied history, I don’t think you know very much about things like like. Why don’t you go check it out yourself, take a trip to Cuba, I believe you can get there via Canada. Don’t think you can get there from the US, after all, you don’t want the Cubans flying over in droves and claiming political asylum, so that was a wise move. I am not a Communist, far from it in fact.

33. thealamo says:

My, my you do contradict yourself quite a bit in here. aMy guess is taht you are a recent college grad, or in school, and ahve little background and less experience in these matters. You ever heard the word propaganda?
    Hell, Castro has always had places where tourists could go and the wool pulled over their eyes.
    I guess you really expect them to go around torturing and killing people in front of you while you, or any tourist is there? Get real.
    Of course they have tourist areas, just like any other nation. Of course, they are not going to provide you with up close and personal experiences in the ordinary life of the Cuban slave.
    You say they come to the US for economic reasons and that doesn’t tell you anything? You then contradict yourself by saying “you don’t want Cubans flying over in droves and claiming political asylum…”
    Why would they need political asylum if they live in such a paradise? it is because they want to live, and they want to be able to live without government controlling their lives. THAT is the reason why the economic difference is so great, but we are working on it, just as your government is. Both are passing more and more communistic legislation on the people because of the “terrorist” fear. Another post on this same thread shows how your communist comrades love you so much. Hugo Chavez just bought a bunch of AK-47’s from the Russians. The terrorists you fear so much get their weapsons from the Russians and Chinese communists….Annie…in case you don’t know it, the terrorists kill people like you…and they use communist made weapons, purchased from the very countries who back the terrorists 100%—the god damned communists. You better wake up because with the legislation being passed in your country and that here, we won’t have to visit communist countries to find out how they live…because that is what this crap is…
    Your background in history and government is extremely limited as one can see. I have been in totalitarian countries—they are not paradise. The people are poor, illiterate, and are kept that way purposefully. You seem to want to join them. Go live there for a few years….if they will allow you, then come back and give us the full report on paradise….you know…the one they keep trying to escape from.

34. Phoenix says:

Alamo,
    I read that piece by Fredric Bastiat on that site you sent me to. At first I thought I was reading a Buddhist piece about meditating, but then it started to make some sense. Then he started detailing every possible if/then query that might arise to challenge his words, and I then thought he was a well-meaning optimist with no grasp on reality. But, he wrote his piece in 1850. What would Bastiat say now? Yes, we should never dimiss history’s lessons, but I think we should ditch history’s philosophers except to ‘study’ the times in which they lived/thought. How can they guide us now when they could not possibly have conceived the world as we know it. We can certainly learn from them, but it behooves one to enmesh their thoughts with our world, not just the one they lived in.
    John Maynard Keynes: Bill Clinton dismissed him. G.W. Bush seems to adhere to his economic ‘genius’. He makes sense to me.
    I don’t buy your 100% ‘failure’ comment about the poor. Mainly because there will ALWAYS be an underclass/lower class in every society, no matter private or governmental intervention.
    I didn’t say the writing on the Mises site was sorry. I said the men were a bunch of miserable wannabes whose outlook on the common man was so jaded by their egos that like most infamous philosphers, they have/had lost touch with ‘humanity’. You cannot lead if you lose touch with humanity and wallow around in your own cynical perspective. It’s one thing to step out and lead; entirely another to write and bitch from your mind’s dulled-ivory tower.
    I’m not antagonistic. You are. I doubt you even know it, but when you get heated and want to share your voluminous knowledge, your tone becomes quite supercilious making the rest of us into idiots and assholes. Yeah. I react to that.
    Ever read The Tragedy of the Commons?
    And, are you a liberatarian? I know you dislike labels, but you seem to lean to the libertarian side. One more question: Do you think the government should not provide for the poor?

35. Fausta says:

Annie,
    There is some of that, yes. However, the Cuban girls I grew up with left Cuba to avoid being killed. In fact, the first quadraplegic man I met when I was a child was the 40-yr old father of one of them. He had been a Castro supporter but got sent to a concentration camp (a concentration camp that was established by Che Guevara), where he was tortured. Several years and many thousands of dollars (paid by his family out of their meager earnings in exile) later, he was confined to a wheel chair and had so little control over his body that he could barely speak, had no control over his limbs, and drooled. Here’s Amnesty International’s report on Cuba http://web.amnesty.org/report2003/cub-summary-eng. Here’s the Cuba Archive http://www.cubaarchive.org/english/research.html
    Poverty Pushes Cuban Women into Sex Tourism
    As for Castro dying without leaving any money, go tell that one to Forbes Magazine http://www.forbes.com/billionaires/, which estimates his fortune at $550,000,000.

36. annie says:

The Alamo The thing is that if anybody wants to come live in US without the US particularly wanting their skills, the only way they are going to get in is by crying political asylum. They will not be allowed in for economic reasons, so it is in their interests to really lard on the oppression, even if they were not oppressed. Some people are oppressed, but Cuban’s are not able to claim that in order to get into the US, or they would be allowed in and not sent back. If you really want to know the truth about Cuba go there, just go there and find out. People can write anything, and it is going to favour whatever view they hold. You can get this from the horses mouth by actually going to Cuba and asking the people who live there now. I am not a Communist but I did once live in a totalitarian like state, which was not a democracy and the opposition were jailed, and that was Singapore. It was a great place to live, except, of course, if you wanted to bring down that particular regime and then you would be put in prison. I did not think that the Singapore regime was such a bad thing at the time (was young then), so did not mind so much, still don’t think it was big issue, as most of the people seemed happy with the state of play. You were the one who said that US was not a democracy if I remember rightly, and I argued it was because you get to vote out the leader if you want to. Since Castro took over the Cubans have been trying very hard to build up their country economically and have been having a hard time because the US has tried to stop them at every turn. Ask yourself why, and then you will find you are back to big business. Like I said, big business in US were onto a good thing when Batista and the Mafia were running Cuba, and a lot of Cubans were living OK by it too (a lot who ended up in US). However, it was making money from gambling and prostitution and the like, and Batista was rounding up any opposition and torturing and killing them (not just sticking them in jail for a while like in Singapore), and that is very wrong. All the rest since then has been propaganda against Castro. You have the chance to go find out for yourself if you want to, but you wont because you prefer to believe the stuff you have been spoonfed. As regards Chavez, the night is young, as I don’t know enough about him, but because of this ‘Communist’ label that the US seems to put on everybody that does not go along with it’s thinking, it makes a lot of enemies straight off. Like the Chinese, there is a saying ‘if you make a friend with a Chinaman you have a friend for life, but if you make an enemy, watch out’. I have always found the Chinese people I have known to be utterly loyal as friends and they will always go that extra mile. They are fascinated by the West and all things Western, and it is a pity that so many in US would put out propaganda against them without having actually met any. Everybody seemed to think that after the British gave them back Hong Kong some terrible thing would happen, but it has not, and the Chinese are clever enough to know that they are onto a good thing by leaving things much the same. Do you know that there are more Christians in China than anywhere else, particularly in the north, so the work of the western missionaries who went out there before the Bamboo Curtain came down was not in vain. As far as Harry Belafonte is concerned, I find his remarks despicable, as he is giving comfort to the enemy, as is Cindi Sheehan and the like, but I had not realised that she had abandoned her son at age eight, and not seen him for ten years. I think these people have their own personal agenda for doing this stuff, and hers is because she feels guilt about the way she treated her child.

37. Thealamo says:

Bastiat and Budhism? Man, I would have to stretch it a long way to find that connection.
    The argument you pose here as to the problems of “modern times” is nothing more than the same ole problem man has faced since the beginning of time. Underproduction.
    I have to laugh at the dooms dayers (not saying you are one) that say we have a population problem on earth. You can tell where they are coming from since they have never looked into the production side of the factor. If you do the math, you will find that you could divide up the entire population of the world into families of four and fit the entire population of the world into North America with one acre apiece. Now this is ludicrous, of course, but it shows how much of the earth is left for production.
    Modern problems are brought on because man has not changed one bit since the beginning of time. Problems do not arise because we have different toys in which to kill each other with…the problems have always been there. Nothing new. The toys can change, as they have, but unless mankind gets off the power gig, then the toy they use to kill you with is irrelevant–you are just as dead.
    Evil has always gravitated to the power positions. This is why Jefferson quipped that we need a revolution every twenty years to eliminate the scoundrels that get into those positions. Although joking, there was some wisdom in his statement.
    Evil people have always used fear to get their way, and today is nothing new. Greed, control and the quest for power over others are the basic factors that need to be addressed—not the toys.
    Of course…we will always have people like that in the world. The key factor is that the good people, i.e. those that can control themselves, are those which need to be leaders. That…takes an integrity we see rarely nowdays, specifically from any government official worldwide.
    Bastiat’s ideas depend upon that system whereby men who are honest are placed in positions of power. Granted, not an easy thing to accomplish–but the alternative is to acquiesce to their “systems” and watch as more and more of the world goes into poverty and slavery.
    I can guarantee you that the top echelon in the Islamic movement could care less about “religion.” It is their own power position and craving to control others that motivates them…not a belief in a supreme being. They think THEY are the supreme beings.
    Communism,and socialism, and fascism to some extent always get their backing from the “poor.” Unfortunately for the poor, they never improve, they are only sold into the bondage of government “care.” No one has a definition of who the poor are exactly, since compared to Bill Gates–I am poor. But to someone in South America…I am rich. Does the guy in South America deserve to get some of mine because I am better off? Do I deserve Gates profits because I am not as rich as he? Hell no. It is MY FAULT I am not as rich as Bill Gates, just as it is the fault of those of less means (other than disabled) that they are in their position.
    I think the differnce is that I do not buy the “emotion” that governments sell..because I look at the results. It takes $8 of welfare money to get $1 to the end user. This a ridiculous cost and it keeps people in bondage because they will never get off welfare. It also keeps people there because they are satisfied with it. I am not as rich as Bill Gates because I am satisfied with what I have now. However, that does not make me deserve less than what I have, just because someone else is just as content to live on a welfare wage.
    Control is the factor here. Welfare votes are a huge block of votes. Politicians can continue to bribe those votes with more goodies. Now that wouldn’t be all bad, except those goodies are not paid by the congressmen that “give” them. They have to steal those goodies from people willing to work, willing to go the extra mile to live a better life.
    Many say we have a responsibility to the poor and we do. But not by force. Most of the people who died in the 9-11 left millionaires as survivors. The giving of voluntary monies from Americans is well documented. Think how much more people would give, if they weren’t forced to “give.”
    The dollars someone has to pay in to the system to provide for welfare could very well be dollars that they could have used to send their own child to college. What if that child were the next Louis Pasteur? We will never know.
    I am not responsible for someone who is unwilling to work. The Bible is correct when it says, if they will not work, they should not eat.
    I do not disagree that there will always be some poor. Because other than disabled people, it is a choice. Some people are happy that way. Okay. Who am I to tell them different? But by the same token who are they to say they deserve the fruits of my labor, when they are not willing to do any labor themselves?
    As for government “fixing” it…one need only look at some of the results of their idiotic programs for solving the situation. Hell if they would just get rid of minimum wage, that would give people a much bigger piece of the pie, but no…the “emotion” of minimum wage “sells,” when the fact is, it keeps people near, or at the poverty level.
    You might think I believe in “no government.” That is not true. IF there are problems in an area of the country, then the local or state entities should handle it–not the “federal.” Because along with federal help comes federal control. That is communism/fascism. The basic difference between the USA of old and other nations was the fact that problems were handled, where they could be addressed by those affected–at the state and local level,. the reason this was done is simple, as noted above. A city ordinance affects only those tha need be affected in that area. A federal ordinace effects everybody–whether they need it or not. Hence the ease of a totalitatrian system. One need only convince the people that they (the government) are always looking out for your best interests. Face it, if advertising did not work on people, if brainwashing did not exist, then why would companies pay $50 million dollars for a 30 second spot during the super bowl? It works, and that is also why we have federal schools…to oversee the program, and make sure the results—are the same.
    But…me? antagonistic? :)

38. thealamo says:

It is funny that you make the statment that I am “spoonfed.” I was actually taught the same exact lies you still believe, in school here.
    And as for the USA going after anyone that is a communist–would that that were true.
    However if you will take the time, you will find that Vladimir Lenin, and the entire Russian bolshevik revolution was funded by western banks. Kuhn & Leob representatives were caught by the Canadians with $40 milliion bound for the communists in 1917. The US government swayed the Candadian government into letting them go…and history is now history. The Soviet Union would have collapsed long, long before the fake breakup if the USA had not been funding the communist dicators all along.
    We put Castro into power. We put Mao Tse Tung into power, and Hussein as well as other notble dictators. Your own country helped fund Adolph Hitler’s regime, along with ours as well. Follow the money trails and you will find that the world is totally different than what you are taught in government schools, and for sure, what the liars in the media portray today.
    Now as far as Cuba, I have personal friends in Florida that were subjected to torture and many of their family members killed–by Castro’s henchmen. There are thousands upon thousands of testamonies as to the brutality of communists such as he. Never think that we did not put him into power. The Russians connection was for show, and as I spoke of above, had it not been for massive tranfusions of money from the United States, communism would have died long ago.
    The Chinese would go completely under, and their slaves would revolt if our government had not sold out the American worker, which keeps the Chinese murderers afloat with trade. I guess Tieneman Square was just a movie done by Hollywood? Those were real pictures of real communist tanks running over real people. THAT is communism…up close and personal.

39. thealamo says:

Oops…the post directly above this is for Annie, and the one above that for Phoenix….sorry girls, my fault…

40. thealamo says:

Posted by: annie | Tuesday, January 10, 2006 at 09:57 PM
    Annie, I had to respond to this because it is obvious you do not live here. I can take you 20 miles from where I live…tomorrow, and show where there are thousands of people from Mexico, Asia, and South America living. Now, if I know where they are don’t you think this govetrnment does?
    Hell if hey wanted to keep people out they would close our borders, especially IF the trrorism gig wasn’t a game. Terrorism is about one thing–one our side of the fence. To eliminte the Bill of Rights. Now don’t get me wrong here…the idiots that blow themselves up do so because they have some sort of cause, so I am not claiming they are part of some plan. It is just that our government, as well as your own happen to be taking advantage of the sitution and taking advantge of their own people by the use of the fear of “terrorism.” You have a much greater chance of dying in an auto accident than by being killed by “terrorists.”
    And if you believe the lies of your government and ours as well, maybe you can be the first person to answer this question.
    Exactly how are we saving our freedom by taking away our freedoms?
    Both your government and ours as well continue to propagate the lies by insinuating that the “terrorists” are going to invade us and take us over, so we need to have all of these liberties of our own people checked. Yeah, right.
    Hitler couldn’t do it. The communists couldn’t do it…and they had tanks, planes, armies, and ships. But guys are going to ride across the ocean on camels and take over your and my countries. You better wake up to the scam.

41. annie says:

Look ‘The Alamo’, there is probably only one guy who you should be really worried about, that we should all be worried about at the moment, and his name is Javier Solarno. Go check this guy out, where he came from, what he is now. He is the man in the shadows, yet he is the man in control of it all, he was physicist, he is a Marxist, was actually banned by the US at one point, and he is a member of the Club of Rome, and all that Masonic cabal. He is frightening!!! The power he has been given is frightening. The mandate number he was given all this power under is number 666. A joke or what??? I am talking here about the European Union and the Western Alliance, comprising 12 states. At present he is the go between for the Palastinians and Jews, he does not like the US, and I don’t think the US particularly likes him, but will end up going along with him because of Iraq. His mother was heavily into the Guru stuff supporting that guy whose followers took over one of your towns and tried to poison somebody. If you want to worry about somebody, go worry about him, all the rest are small fry!!!

42. Phoenix says:

Alamo,
    Nice piece. Heck of a lot of effort on your part. Thanks. I learned from it, but will say you generalize some stuff, but nothing worth debating.
    I said a whole lot more about Bastiat than the Buddhist ref. You, the great cherry-picker knee-jerk proselytizer that you are. Better’n being boring, I say. :)
    Ha. Ha. Something you said about mankind being the same now as it was waaay back in the beginning and the power gig thing. I read an article in a National Geographic years ago about a couple of pygmy tribes. About once every nine months or so, the male members would get up off their tiny protruberant butts, take the hayseed grass out of their mouths and demand a pow wow. They’d grunt and soon enough they were painting themselves up to look VERY scary. They grabbed spears and charged off through the veldt. They came back a few hours later, battle-worn and weary, and to ‘set’ their victory over the neighboring tribe, they humped all the women. Nine months later, the women all popped out little tiny pygmies. Then one fine day of hayseed-grass sucking and fly-flicking, the mighty warriors would hear the sounds of VERY scary pygmy warriors coming to do them in. Heh. Those ‘victors’ would go home and hump their honeys and nine months later, more little piglets. …no, wait.. Pygmies. This is how it worked. Except sometimes the side due for the next VERY scary time would get bored from not having Glory Sex, and they’d attack early. Pretty soon the wars came every four months. Then every three. Then the women said, “Stop that! I have a headache!” Then we evolved.

43. Steel says:

Can I make a request here?
    Alamo and Phoenix … would you guys cut&paste your … discussions and put them emails to me?
    You too Annie.
    Well maybe not you.

44. annie says:

That’s OK Steel, just deflect it a bit. Which agency do you work for?

45. Thealamo says:

Posted by: annie | Tuesday, January 10, 2006 at 11:39 PM
    If you believe this, then why would you laud Castro of all people? The “666” deal has been attributed to many people, including Prince Charles, so I wouldn’t get all hopped up about it. My guess is that no one is going to publicize the person you seem to be characterizing (correct me if i am wrong) as the possible anti-christ as bearing the 666 designation.
    This guy may be a player in the game, haven’t come across him, but I ahve come across many similar “names” which are supposed to be “the guy.” You have to tke taht with a grain of salt, because, as I said…when tht time comes it will be so well done that very, very few will figure out the deal.

46. thealamo says:

Posted by: Phoenix | Tuesday, January 10, 2006 at 11:48 PM
    I think you nailed the world problem right here. It is the “headache!”

47. thealamo says:

Steel…not trying to be antgonistic, but can’t you cut and paste them?

48. annie says:

The Alamo You are a gem!! No, don’t take any notice of what I said previously about Javier. Forget it!!

49. thealamo says:

I read that piece by Fredric Bastiat on that site you sent me to. At first I thought I was reading a Buddhist piece about meditating, but then it started to make some sense. Then he started detailing every possible if/then query that might arise to challenge his words.
    Posted by: Phoenix | Tuesday, January 10, 2006 at 08:30 PM
    The reason you see Bastiat as detailing every possible situation is that he was writing in response to the socialist “cures” during those times. In fact, if you read the literature of the founders of America, you will find much of it in the same motif. I think it was the fact that in those days the “pamphlet” was the major mode of communication.
    It is interesting that you note Bastiat is an idealist…but then so was Karl Marx and Thomas Jefferson. I think we are all idealists in our own way, but in the case of “governing,” whoever said that government which governs least….governs best….has narrowed it down to the lowest common denominator.
    We will never totally cure mankind of being…..mankind.

50. thealamo says:

Posted by: annie | Wednesday, January 11, 2006 at 01:06 AM
    No I will check the guy out. He probably IS a player, and don’t think that all of the “top” people are not.
    I also don’t think we will ever know who those are that pull some of the strings around the world…but that is just my conjecture and take on the “conspircy” side of the spectrum.
    I can only look at the facts that have happened. Conspiracies, conjectures etc., well that is for guessing about what will happen in the future.
    If you look only at the facts…i.e. what HAS already happened, then you can come to this conclusion: It makes me no difference whatsoever whether all these things are accidents, or a conspiracy….the results are the same. And it is the results, that we need worry about, not the theories behind them.