Craig: From Foot Tap To Phone Tap?

September 5, 2007

Update: Allah thinks the audio was leaked by Martin to help Craig. Maybe it didn’t even come through Martin’s office, but through Craig’s people. Look at this below from Craig’s resignation presser and what’s missing from the audio’s header? The date. Hmm.

I apologize for being unable to serve out a term to which I have been elected…I hope you do not regret the confidence you have placed in me all these years…”

Not sure I’m buying this. Minutes before Idaho Senator Larry Craig left for his I intend to resign presser he calls his attorney Billy Martin and leaves a message. Only it’s a wrong number to a stranger’s phone. Said stranger then shops it to the Idaho Statesman for a price and upon being turned down shops it to Roll Call who manages to get the message without paying up? A spokesperson for Craig confirmed the voice match.

Enter DailyKos with the transcript – also below. If that message was on a machine or phone linked to Billy Martin, we’re talking privileged communication being leaked for political effect. This torpedoes Craig’s reconsideration of resignation move by betraying him as a calculating creep from the jump aided by Specter’s later statement.

Is this another case of Craig’s fingers taking a misstep while dialing, just as they did when they slid across the bottom of a bathroom stall, or are Republicans so pissed that someone got to Martin or someone in his office to take Craig out? This smells almost as bad as will the Congressional investigation likely to come.

"Yes, Billy, this is Larry Craig calling. You can reach me on my cell. Arlen Specter is now willing to come out in my defense, arguing that it appears by all that he knows that I have been railroaded and all that.

"Having all of that, we have reshaped my statement a little bit to say it is my intent to resign on Sept. 30. I think it is important for you to make as bold a statement as you are comfortable with this afternoon, and I would hope you could make it in front of the cameras.

"I think it would help drive the story that I’m willing to fight, that I’ve got quality people out there fighting in my defense, and that this thing could take a new turn or a new shape, it has that potential. Anyway, give me a buzz or give Mike a buzz on that. We’re headed to my press conference now.

"Thank you. Bye."

Comments:
  1. Fred Beloit says:

This seems quite odd. When I phone someone who can’t or doesn’t answer, I get a version of this: “Hello. This is _________ _______. I can’t come to the phone right now. Please leave a message at the beep. Thank you. BEEEEEEEEEP”.
    Did Craig get this? “Hello this is Joe Democratic. I can’t come to the phone now but, if you will leave a privileged message, I will be sure to shop it around to any two-bit ink-stained wretch I can get to pony up. Maybe someone like Mort Kondracke. Beeeeeeeep.”

2. chris says:

This is a great development! Stand tall, Restroom Romeo! Lets see how much longer this can stay in the news!

3. Fred Beloit says:

BTW, do I need to say that since Craig started his message with, “Yes Billy…”, Craig must not have heard the message, unless of course Joe Democratic’s name is William Democratic.

4. Fred Beloit says:

Yes, Mr christamfordmum, it is great if you want to read your private phone messages in the press. By the way, you old hypocrite you, I thought you stood for privacy rights, no government listening into terrorists messages to your house and all of that. Funny how easily you discard “rights” when it comes to politics.

5. chris says:

‘Government listening’??? Sounds like Larry just dialed a wrong number. But then, no one ever accused you ‘patriots’ of being too bright.

6. Fred Beloit says:

Wake up Mr. christamfordmum. I guess your mom won’t let you use the phone anymore or you would know that message-taking is preceded by a message identifying by name of phone number the party called. And are you saying it is bad for the government to spy on international phone calls from suspected terrorists to the US but perfectly OK for the newspapers to print transcripts of private calls gotten by any means necessary from any skell out in creepville looking to make a fast buck? Of course you are. That is why I consider you an over-emotional numb skull.

7. Fred Beloit says:

“…name of phone number the party called…” Should read …name or phone number… Sorry.

8. chris says:

Looks like gay ole Larry is getting swift-boated. Such a terrible thing to do to a patriot and troop-supporter.

9. Fred Beloit says:

“Larry is getting swift-boated.” Could be, Boob. Since “swift-boated” means having the truth told about you, this could very well happen.

10. chris says:

Is that what it means? In any case, the Republican Culture of Corruption, Hypocrisy and Closeted Homosexuality is front and center for another news cycle. Thank you for your service, Larry!

11. rwilymz says:

“…and Closeted Homosexuality is…”
    Closeted BIsexuality, maybe.

12. K says:

This has become a liar’s frolic. I’m suspicous of anything ‘new’ now.
    The left and Democrats hope to keep Craig screwed. Craig, having screwed himself, now wants to unscrew himself. The one rule of the Senate is don’t lie to other Senators. If Craig said he was resigning then reneges that ends any chance he could be an effective Senator.
    A few people are honestly concerned with gay rights or entrapment or whether what he did was a crime. I figure his own actions show he is an inept fool and we are well rid of him on that grounds.

13. See a tongue-in-cheek visual of Senator Craig taking a new stance…here:

14. nowingker says:

How did this fool ever get elected to the US Senate?

15. bloodrage bob says:

same way ted kennedy and robert byrd did, i reckon.

16. chris says:

When will David Vitter resign. The bible-banger ADMITTED to frequenting DC prostitutes (NOT New Orleans ones, however). Last I checked, this is illegal. He should resign and let Jesus figure out how best to punish him.
    Amen.

17. joeb says:

“I intend to resign” reminds me of “It all depends on what your definition of is is”. And his statement that he is not gay and has never been gay reminds me of “I did not have sex with that woman”.

18. joeb says:

This guy Craig is so sleasy it makes me think that cop was right to tell him “You are the reason we are going down the tubes”. And Arlen Spector is a sleasy one also. He defended the Unicorn killer in Pa.

19. seekeronos says:

“— When will David Vitter resign? —”
    Al-Boob is actually right on this one… Vitter _should_ resign. The likelihood of that happening though, with a Democrat governor in his state is pretty slim though… because it would mean he’d get replaced w/ a Democrat senator.
    Can’t have that happening when the Party needs every GOP senator on the team. It’s one of the more unpleasant features of politics.
    As for Craig, replacing him with a Republican “temp” Senator wouldn’t be a bad idea at all.

20. tally says:

let’s see, he pleads guilty when he’s not. he doesn’t know how to dial a correct phone number or listen to a recorded greeting. if i were to believe this bs, i say he leaves just for being a dumb ass. that alone does it for me.

21. rwilymz says:

“his statement that he is not gay and has never been gay reminds me…”
    Technically, he isn’t.
    He is, though, from the looks of it, BIsexual.
    There’s a difference.