Updated/Bumped: Diantha Harris Needs To Be Fired

November 6, 2008

More from comments:

Email away with your complaints… She is listed as a 5th grade teacher at this school. You can access her email here:

You can access the principal here:

Diantha Harris used to work in Ashville she now works in Fayetteville at "Mary McArthur Elementary".
Principles name is Lola B Williams — school phone number is — (910) 424-2206

if you go to their website you can email Mrs Harris or the Principle.

This is the email of the principal. Write to her and demand accountability. Take the spaces out:

LolaW@ccs.k12.nc.us

School Superintendent William C. Harrison
910.678.2300

From Email:

The headline in this video is inaccurate.  The individual has not been employed by our district since 2004.

Thank you.

Allen Johnson
Superintendent
Asheville City Schools

From comments:

Asheville City Schools
Attn: Superintendent
85 Mountain Street
Asheville, NC 28801
(828) 350-7000

Absolutely disgusting and indefensible. h/t HotAir. It appears Bush Sr likely met with the Harris family some years ago.

Diantha Harris: It’s a senseless war! [Stares at Kathy.] And by the way, Kathy, the person that you’re picking for president said [Harris shakes her head] that our troops could stay in Iraq for another hundred years if they need to! [Kathy bites her lip, looks ashamed. Other kids stare at Kathy, laugh, smirk.] So that means that your daddy could stay in the military for another hundred years!

[Kathy is on verge of tears.]

[In an interview later:]

Diantha Harris: Now I can support whomever I want to support, as long as I don’t browbeat another person for the candidate that they supported. Like I have some students that support John McCain, and when they told me that, I said ah … “that’s good’ and I just moved on. So, I think that everybody is entitled to their own personal opinion.

Comments:
  1. And there’s the next Teacher of the Year as awarded by Barack Obama.

2. templar knight says:

Dan, this shit has been going on for years. Hell, you couldn’t get that fat ass retard fired if she struck a white kid in the mouth, and it will only get worse. Put your children in private school, and get them away from useless, uneducated idiots like Harris.

3. joeb says:

Ah the good old days. Happy Days Are Here Again. Remember Ms. Elders?
    This is what we have to look forward to in the next 4 years. Get ready for more laughs.

4. Karen says:

This is UNACCEPTABLE!

5. OdysseusInRTP says:

I live in Asheville. My son goes to private school for this very reason.
    I’ve never had any desire to be part of a protest, but this kind of behavior from a teach might be a good reason to start.

6. But remember, protesting this would be RAAAAAAAACIST!

7. WAHOO WILLIE says:

RTP: Run for Buncombe Co school board……as if it would do any good. Teachers down east can’t do that stuff…………

8. IslamoLlama says:

“– I am sick and tired of “adults” who are in positions of authority over children CRUSHING THEIR SPIRITS, rather than building them up. I hate them! –”
    I agree. That’s why I’m homeschooling my kids. Secondary opinion my pasty white ass. The very idea that children would be confronted by people who disagree with their parents! SHAMEFUL!
    Children are precious and innocent and so perfectly naive. It is important to shield them from everyone and everything lest they grow up thinking that their parents’ worldview isn’t the absolute, perfect, and singular view one should be allowed to have.
    WON’T SOMEONE SAVE THE CHILDREN FROM THOSE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE LIBERALS?!
    /lols

9. Ray says:

Start calling and writing!!
    Asheville City Schools
    Attn: Superintendent
    85 Mountain Street
    Asheville, NC 28801
    (828) 350-7000

10. Notice, folks, how IslamoLlama makes it clear that you are perfectly within your rights as a teacher to shame, humiliate, and make cry children in your classroom because you disagree with their parents.
    Barack Obama’s education system now revealed.

11. Philip McDaniel says:

Just another Thug Thizzle.

12. Em says:

As a taxpayer in the state of NC, I just e-mailed the entire Asheville City School and Buncombe County School boards.
    Maybe our children would perform better during testing if these teachers stuck to the textbooks instead of trying to share their own personal inadequate “knowledge”.

13. brenda says:

Nuff said >>>>>

14. IslamoLlama says:

“– Notice, folks, how IslamoLlama makes it clear that you are perfectly within your rights as a teacher to shame, humiliate, and make cry children in your classroom because you disagree with their parents. –”
    Make children cry.

15. Scrapiron says:

A good ass kicking might teach her a lesson, if that don’t work a tire full of gas around her neck would end the problem forever. We only have riots in the U.S. because we didn’t kill the first 10 people who started one, and we only have freaks as teachers because someone didn’t have the b**** to fire the stupid ones. Hundreds of lives would have been saved by killing 10 worthless P’sOS
    Public shool teachers have became so much slime I agree that a private school is the only way to go. The people can change this in one day by shutting the public schools down and running the union thugs out of the country. Don’t let the weenie’s in charge tell you it can’t be done. The weenie’s are also living on ‘your’ money.
    I’m not advocating violence, just getting ahead of the violence that will come within a few months. Think it’s bad now, wait for the Hussein O thugs they will be calling the ‘civilian security force’ come on board. Get on every congress critters butt and don’t let that happen. They are all job scared so it won’t take a lot of pressure to make them object to any such force.

16. Bilby says:

IslamoLlama, to you it’s about Obama. For the rest of us it’s about a teacher abusing her student.
    You defend abusing students because you think it’s defending Obama.
    Have you no shame?

17. If she were a conservative attacking her students for supporting Obama, this post wouldn’t exist.
    But it isn’t a conservative attacking her students for supporting Obama, it’s a liberal attacking her students for supporting McCain.
    And you support that.
    Since you support that and say it’s perfectly all right for teachers to attack students who don’t share their political views, what do you care? Or is the message here that you only care if it’s a conservative teacher?
    “I know more than a few conservative parents who encourage using the paddle in public schools.”
    To punish children who misbehave severely in class, yes.
    So in your weird moral equivalency world, children who support McCain or whose parents support McCain should be punished in school.
    And what this all boils down to, IslamoLlama, is that you support a teacher punishing and humiliating a student in the classroom for daring to disagree with the person the teacher supports.
    All because that person supports Obama.

18. SixDegrees says:

I contacted the Asheville School District and received the following short reply:
    “This individual has not been employed by our district since 2004.”
    That doesn’t mean she doesn’t teach in Asheville. But it isn’t with the public school district there.
    I agree that this behavior constitutes child abuse, by any definition of the term. But it’s important to hit the target.
    I’m thinking that the classroom depicted is affiliated with the church shown at the end of the full clip. Anyone speak Dutch? Or anyone in Asheville have any ideas about where this woman is torturing children?

19. Robert says:

Diantha Harris has not taught in Asheville City Schools for over 4 years. She has in fact moved down east. This would not be tolerated in Asheville City Schools if discovered.

20. Lulu says:

How on Earth do idiots like this get a teaching degree in the first place??? I have a horrible feeling this is going on in many other schools also. Is this a sign of things to come???

21. DaveinPhoenix says:

…or while we’re at it, let’s do like the lefties have done for the past eight years and REALLY raise hell. Contacting the superintendent is great, but let’s all go one small step further:
    Contact the useless political representation there as well and tell them harrassing children is sub-human. Tell them the teacher, Diantha Harris, uses the classroom as a propaganda vehicle to shove her politics down the children’s throats:
    Governor
    • Michael Easley (D)
    House of Representatives
    • D. Bruce Goforth (D-115)
    Senators
    • Elizabeth Dole (R)
    • Richard Burr (R)

22. zack a says:

disgusting

23. WAHOO WILLIE says:

Mike Sleazy will probably promote her before he turns over state reigns to that idot Lt Gov my idiot neighbors made governor………..she’ll create a holiday for her. Don’t know Goforth. Dole is out and her sucessor will also say alms to the teacher…or at least lie about doing so. Burr needs to think about keeping his seat in 2010. She’s teaching in Fayettenam…That’s Fort Bragg/Pope AFB for you foreigners…..Send a letter to the editor of the Fayetteville Observer.

24. Spartan112 says:

That woman is a horrible teacher plain and simple. She should not be engaging students in that type of conversation, period. There is no educational goal there, none.
    I send very little time talking politics with kids at school, though given we’re a boarding school with a good number of international students that can sometimes be tough to avoid. That said making fun of a child’s choice and then bringing her family into it is shameful.
    I guarantee Obama would feel the same way about it.
    As for the notion that paddling kids for poor behavior is a good thing…wow, it’s 2008 my friend. We know that doesn’t work, it simply breeds resentment and more violence.

25. Spartan112 says:

BTW, this doesn’t surprise me one bit coming out of a southern public school. We need higher standards for teachers and we need to make it a more desirable job so that we breed competition for the positions. Less emphasis on “education” degrees and more emphasis on subject areas.

26. chezdiva says:

Just sent an email to the principal – here’s her email address: LolaW@ccs.k12.nc.us
    I recommend that you too write her a note, keep it nice and to the point. This teacher must go she has no business shaping the minds of our children – and in this case destroying the spirit of this little girl.

27. Eliza says:

Why waste time complaining to the school superintendent? He/she’s in the tank for Obama, too. However, Diantha’s home phone number is available if you do a search on http://www.whitepages.com.

28. templar knight says:

Yeah, right, Spartan. You can’t get decent people to teach in public school. Even a liberal teacher in New York, I believe it was, called his students a bunch of animals. And was fired, even though he wasn’t far from the truth, given the lack of any discipline and the quality of the administrators in the public school system.
    This thing posing as a teacher is pretty commonplace throughout the South, and East, and Midwest, and West Coast. Look at the mess the Chicago Public School System is in, or California schools, where 25% drop out of school before they graduate. My daughter is in the 8th grade, is one of 22 students, and is one of eight in her class who scored 20 or above on the ACT. The statewide average for the ACT is barely above 20 in the state I reside in, yet 8th graders in our private school are scoring ahead of most seniors in public school. And the teachers in our school are for the most part retired public school teachers who have come back to teach because they love teaching. And they are taking less money, yet enjoying the wonderful experience one gets from stimulating the minds of young people.
    My advice, get your children out of public school, even if you have to sacrifice something. Drive an older model vehicle, downsize your home, just get your children out of the public schools. They, and you, will be better served in the long run.

29. Spartan112 says:

Posted by: Eliza | Thursday, November 06, 2008 at 10:03 PM
    This has nothing to do with political affiliation and everything to do with a woman who is not qualified to teach, if the superintendent is any good he’ll realize this regardless of who he supports politically. And if you think calling her home will solve anything go right ahead but realize that you will potentially be committing a crime.

30. JD says:

Think this video is bad. How about the fag teacher in San Fran Cisco that handed out papers to the students asking them to check off things they should not say/and how they should treat gays. Also, the eacher that took her class to witness the union of her and her.
    Now if that would have been a teacher taking their class to a religious retreat, it would have benn pasted all over CNN,ABC, NBC, CBS, Washington Post, New York Times, LA Times.

31. Eliza says:

Spartan, sure, I know she is not qualified to teach (I used to be a teacher myself until I left that “profession” for law). However, it *does* have something to do with a teacher who is propounding her political ideology and presenting herself as an “objective” presenter, as she does in the interview. Teachers are supposed to strive toward objectivity; they are supposed to encourage students to express their personal points of view and not berate the students for doing so. Unless a student is arguing that 2 plus 2 + 5, a teacher is not supposed to come down on a student for expressing a p.o.v. And the teacher should not be bludgeoning the students with his or her point of view. The teacher is in too powerful of a role.
    I would make the same complaint against a pro-McCain teacher who “bludgeoned” a student for his/her belief in Obama. (Funny, though — we haven’t had any reports of that type of incident happening. That is partially because teachers with conservative political beliefs know to keep their beliefs “in the closet.” It may also be that teachers with conservative political beliefs are more committed to striving to be objective in the classroom — as I was when I was a teacher.)

32. Eliza says:

That should have been “2 plus 2 = 5.”

33. Spartan112 says:

“I would make the same complaint against a pro-McCain teacher who “bludgeoned” a student for his/her belief in Obama.”
    You’re making my point for me.
    “teachers with conservative political beliefs know to keep their beliefs “in the closet.” It may also be that teachers with conservative political beliefs are more committed to striving to be objective in the classroom — as I was when I was a teacher.)”
    Horse pucky. I had a HS history teacher who was a big time Reagan supporter and would gladly tell you why he was the best president of all time (while he was still in office) and why FDR was one of the worst…all objectively of course.
    “I used to be a teacher myself until I left that “profession” for law”
    Not everyone can cut it as a teacher. Don’t beat yourself up over it.

34. Eliza says:

If you are going to quote me, quote accurately. I said, “Funny, though — we haven’t had any reports of that type of incident happening. That is partially because teachers with conservative political beliefs know to keep their beliefs ‘in the closet.'” YOU quoted me as saying: “teachers with conservative political beliefs know to keep their beliefs ‘in the closet.'”
    Don’t “words matter” to you as much as they do to your precious Obamessiah?
    I used the term “partially” because I was not stating something absolutely, the way you are representing my words as doing. First lesson of any type of academics or law: QUOTE ACCURATELY. The fact that you can’t do this is what relegates you to internet troll status — and that fact will keep you there.
    Also evidencing your troll status is your put-down of my work as a teacher. I was a very successful teacher for over 15 years. However, like most Americans, I moved on to a new, real profession in the middle of my work life. One of my central reasons for leaving the teaching “profession,” however, is because of liberal loons like Diantha Harris. I know the desultory state of the teaching biz — I’ve seen it first hand for many years. I simply could not participate any longer in the teacher’s fruitless task of working to stem the tide of the continued unraveling of the social fabric. Now, as a lawyer, I MAKE MONEY off of the continued unraveling of the social fabric.
    So, in a sense, part of me wants people like Diantha Harris to just “keep on keepin’ on.” They continue to poison the minds and values of their little charges, and those children grow up to be selfish adults who get into legal trouble and who pay people like me to solve their legal trouble for them.
    However, part of me continues to be an idealist. And that means I want teachers — especially public school teachers — to continue to shoot for objectivity over liberal (or conservative) ax-grinding.

35. templar knight says:

I guess you teach in public school, Spartan, or do you? I have my doubts.

36. Spartan112 says:

I did quote you accurately, I cut and pasted your words precisely.
    And Temp, I teach at a private school.

37. Spartan112 says:

Besides, the part of your quote that was relevant to my comment was the following:
    “It may also be that teachers with conservative political beliefs are more committed to striving to be objective in the classroom — as I was when I was a teacher.)”
    So go ahead and accuse me of trying to take it out of context but you’ll just end up being wrong.

38. vanderleun says:

She’s in Cumberland County… Fayetteville. A LONG way away from Asheville.
    Her Board:
    Her School:
    Apparently you can email her directly from the school’s website.
    You can use your 1st amendment rights as an American to let this woman know what you think of her educational techniques!
    Email Diantha: http://www.mmes.ccs.k12.nc.us/email/diathaharris.htm

39. SacTownMan says:

Lame-O states,
    “That’s why I’m homeschooling my kids.”
    Ah, then a future generation of hating trolls is assured!

40. Elizabeth says:

Email away with your complaints…
    You can access the principal here:
    I’m a teacher and out of work – I’d love to have her job!

41. cindi says:

Had this been my childs teacher, I would have humikated the shit out of her. Another reason we decuded on Catholic schools.

42. Spartan112 says:

Yes, the catholic schools have no history of humiliation or abuse…

43. Bandit says:

And it’s a wonder that libtards are so f’ng stupid?

44. BobinStamford says:

This is terrible!! A good public school system is essential! President B Hussein Obama knows this. He has seen what poor education can do. Look at that halfwit Sarah Palin. The bimbo doesn’t even know that Africa is a continent!
    The SURGE Worked!! Victory is at hand!!

45. joeb says:

Boob the Messiah sends his kids to private school in Chicago. Will he send them to private schools in DC? Let the hypocrisy begin.

46. marc says:

She’s in Fayetteville. email her here:

47. Philip McDaniel says:

Trust BobinStamford to come up with some off the wall comment. Good points, Spartan112, templar knight et al. Nice fresh debate.

48. Spartan112 says:

How on earth is sending his kids to private school “hypocrisy”? Just because he supports public schools too? I support the right of gays to marry but I’m in a heterosexual marriage, is that hypocritical?

49. Fred Beloit says:

“The bimbo doesn’t even know that Africa is a continent!” Glad to see you are keeping that elegant class of yours in top shape, Boob. So you are saying Palin didn’t know Africa was one of our 57 states?

50. WAHOO WILLIE says:

“BTW, this doesn’t surprise me one bit coming out of a southern public school.”
    Of course these being the same “southern public schools” that a majority of governors and teh NEA awarded for excellence….but then you can’t be expected to know that being a private school teacher. Better standards? Remember wonderful programs like CETA and affirmative action? Fortunately most of those will be retiring soon…because if you try to fire one the alphabet soup people (NEA, NAACP, ACLU)would be on you like stink on poopie. The amount of certification, education and training NC teachers must have nowadays is pretty inspiring. See in some states you can walk into a class room and teach simply because you have a degree. Not here .But I agree in many cases with you. We still lose about 1/2 of students in 8 grade (it’s 37% in Chicago)and we are graduating some kids who can barely read.Test scores got higher when they stopped lumping in special ed kids scores with the others.Discipline is all but non existant.But fortunately we’ve elected yet another dim governor and I fear she’s as stupid as she sounds in debate, so we are sure to lower standards some more……………. It’s like that in the real world.

51. l.armstrong says:

She teaches 5th grade at Mary McAuthur Elementary in Fayetteville. The website for the school is http://www.mmes.ccs.k12.nc.us/
    As a product of Cumberland County Schools, I have to say that I’m ashamed of this teacher. I just emailed her, her principal, and my entire Board of Elections. Her behavior definitely crosses a line.

52. A says:

Diantha Harris used to work in Ashville she now works in Fayetteville at “Mary McArthur Elementary”.
    Principles name is Lola B Williams — school phone number is — (910) 424-2206
    if you go to their website you can email Mrs Harris or the Principle.
    LolaW@ccs.k12.nc.us
    School Superintendent William C. Harrison
    910.678.2300
    Lets let Mrs Harris know how it feels to be picked on!

53. Spartan112 says:

Actually Wahoo I do have some experience with the product of southern public schools. I taught for a few years at a small southern college and saw many of these kids first hand. While none that I saw could be termed illiterate some weren’t that far from it. The upper school kids I teach are far better equipped and many of them are products of northeastern public elementary and middle schools. Of course your mileage may vary.

54. templar knight says:

Spartan, I’ll give you an example of why I consider public school to be so pathetic. One of my wife’s friends was practice teaching(for her college degree) in an 11th Grade American History classroom, and gave the students a pop quiz on naming the states of the United States. Only two out of the 26 students could name all 50 states. These are 16 and 17 yr. olds. The failure here is not the students, but the system itself. The public school system in the US has been taken over by a group of people who are more concerned about how much they make, and how they can indoctrinate children rather than educate them. The US is on the descent, and I figure you know that as well as I. Can it be turned around? Not likely. Send your children to private school.

55. WES says:

I just called and was told that she works for Cumberland County Schools in Fayetteville, NC

56. Aaron says:

This is exactly what I expect from a black Obama supporter. If is not fired then I will join the coalitions effort to fire her and sue the schoolboard. And people wonder why some whites are still racist against blacks. Diantha must have a college degree but is certainly not edjucated.

57. Spartan112 says:

Temp the question is though how many managed to name 48 or 49? If you asked me to sit down and write out the 50 states right now I could probably do it, but I can’t say for sure…I might forget Idaho, or Alabama (who wouldn’t want to forget Alabama). Being able to rifle off the 50 states is not something you’ll see taught in high schools, public or private if your friend was teaching that to 16/17yo’s she might want to consider a different career.
    Want something more frightening? I was in a classroom with 8 private school kids and talking about a piece of literature. I brought up the declaration of independence as an aside and I asked them what year it was written. Three had no idea.

58. Spartan112 says:

Posted by: Aaron | Friday, November 07, 2008 at 12:20 PM
    Wow Aaron that’s some scary stuff. I can’t imagine why anyone might consider you a racist.

59. Spartan112 says:

Oh, and it’s “educated”.

60. Bozoer Rebbe says:

Spartan112 probably still resents getting Bs while all the kids bound for UofM got As.
    Nothing criminal about calling folks at their homes, or is that robocall I got from Carl Levin last week a crime?
    Spartan, can you identify any incompetent teachers with whom you’ve worked?

61. Bozoer Rebbe says:

Posted by: Spartan112

This is not the fault of your teaching colleagues how?

62. Nuke Baby says:

When the Nazis did this it was called “indoctrination”. When Blacks (pardon me, African Americans”) do it, it’s called “freedom of speech”. So much for Hope, Change, and all that happy BS.

63. Ken says:

UNBELIEVABLE! When a teacher maliciously lies to the very students she is entrusted to teach, she should be fired. The audacity of her attempting to sell her twisted politics to her impressionable students. Shame on her, shame on the Principal that hired her, and shame on the union that will work tirelessly to keep her doing the same in the classroom. We’re in big trouble.

64. Spartan112 says:

Spartan, can you identify any incompetent teachers with whom you’ve worked?
    Posted by: Bozoer Rebbe | Friday, November 07, 2008 at 03:07 PM
    Actually in high school I did much worse than B’s. After getting it together in college I went to MSU for graduate school in a program much better than the comparable program at U of M.
    Posted by: Spartan112
    This is not the fault of your teaching colleagues how?
    Posted by: Bozoer Rebbe | Friday, November 07, 2008 at 03:10 PM
    Depends on which classes they were taking. By the time I got them they had not taken upper school US History they had taken Western Civ so they wouldn’t have covered that. They should have gotten it in middle/elementary school though.

65. Jun says:

From the Cumberland County Schools Superintendent (on the CCS website — http://www.ccs.k12.nc.us/ ):
    CCS Headline News – Superintendent’s Response to YouTube
    I was shocked when I saw the clip of an interaction between a Cumberland County Schools teacher and her students as posted on YouTube. While neutral discussion of the political process is appropriate, at no time, particularly with elementary students, should a teacher infuse his/her political views into the discussion. Most disconcerting was the military slant that made its way into this discussion. We are a military community, serving over 15,000 military students and their families. We value the sacrifices, not only of the military parents but also those of their families.
    We believe that military children are our children, military spouses are many of our employees, and military service men and women are our heroes. We proudly serve our military children and have received national awards for our support of military families.
    I was particularly disturbed to see the uncomfortable position in which our children were placed due to the inappropriate actions of one of our teachers. Please be assured that the actions exhibited in this video are not consistent with the vision of the CCS. Moreover, the actions of one teacher do not represent the 7000 employees in our organization.
    Once the video was brought to my attention, I immediately launched an investigation. Personnel laws prevent me from releasing information regarding individual employees and personnel action taken. I can assure you that upon completion of the investigation, I will take appropriate action.
    Dr. William Harrison
    CCS’ Superintendent
    There’s a video response, too:
    This woman should be fired as far as I am concerned. What a bully!

66. Jun says:

Here is the Cumberland County Board of Education:
    Email them all. I just did.
    Larry Lancaster
    FKBarragan@nc.rr.com
    Mary Emily Royal
    Royalme@nc.rr.com
    Macky Hall
    MackyH@nc.rr.com

67. proud army wife says:

I am so very frustrated by this situation. I am a Army wife whose husband will deploy in 3 months for his 4th tour in the Middle East. Children are naturally fearful when their parents are required to deploy. I cannot imagine why a PUBLIC supported teacher (yes, she is paid by US) would try to instill fear in a child who, in case she isn’t aware, is not even able to vote. I feel for her mother who had to try to comfort her child when she came home questioning her father’s role in the war and his safety. This is a great country. We have the RIGHT to vote, and the RIGHT to keep our vote private. School is for education of the facts, not opinions. This teacher is among the many reasons I have elected homeschool as a means of education. Shame on this school district and this teacher. Fort Bragg is a community of excellence, and they count on you to educate these children about the greatness of our country and Constitution, not to indoctrinate them with opinion and propaganda.

68. republicangal says:

Can you guys back off this teacher? She was on the news tonight (together with that student and the student’s parents) and she was crying.
    Enough is enough. She gets that she messed up.

69. Spartan112 says:

Posted by: proud army wife | Friday, November 07, 2008 at 07:41 PM
    I’d like to point out a moment of irony in this passage…
    “they count on you to educate these children about the greatness of our country…not to indoctrinate them with opinion and propaganda.”

70. CJ says:

This has been going on for years and if you try to complain you get lip service and nothing is ever done. Between like minded school boards and the teachers union they KNOW that nothing will happen to them. Why do you think this moron was so willing to have this classroom discussion filmed?? More importantly, why is it that Finnish reporters came up with this story instead of our own reporters?

71. me says:

SOMEONE SHOULD BEAT THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF THIS WOMAN! I HAVE SERVED IN IRAQ, AND I HAVE A DAUGHTER THAT WAS IN SCHOOL WHILE I WAS DEPLOYED. IF SOMEONE DID THIS TO MY DAUGHTER, THERE WOULD BE NO STOPPING ME! FIRE THIS WOMEN AND MOVE HER UNGREATFUL ASS TO THE MIDDLE EAST AND LET HER SEE WHAT FREEDOMS SHE HAS. THEN MAYBE SHE WILL THANK THE FOUR BROTHERS OF MINE THAT DIED TO GIVE HER THE RIGHT TO TALK SHIT ABOUT THE GOVERMENT THAT GIVES HER THE RIGHT TO SPEAK.

72. Trisha says:

I’m a public school teacher and a lifelong Democrat, as well as an Obama supporter.
    She should be fired. No question about it. That is absolutely unacceptable.

73. proud army wife says:

Spartan 112
    I can assure you that I was taught the greatness of our country and Constitution as every American should be. It is fact, our Constitution is a historical document that is part of curriculum, not to mention the foundation of our republic. Did you go to school in the United States of America? There are many other countries you could choose to reside in if you think this is propaganda and/or opinion.

74. Spartan112 says:

Spartan 112
    Posted by: proud army wife | Friday, November 07, 2008 at 10:08 PM
    You do understand that to be “taught the greatness of our country” is propaganda regardless of whether or not it’s true (because it’s an opinion, not a fact). Therein lies the irony of your statement. And yes, I went to school in the US.

75. TeacherMom says:

The government monopoly over our children will only worsen unless we scream bloody murder! The following is from a news article on theapple.com:
    “Obama and Biden have big plans for what they call “Zero to Five.” This plan focuses on children from birth to five years of age and their parents. It supports early education and universal pre-school. They want to quadruple Early Head Start funding. Their efforts for this age group will be closely tied to their efforts to provide quality health care for this young age group. Obama’s health care program may make the funding for these early childhood programs difficult to carry out in the scope that they’ve planned.”
    Remember…The hand that rocks the cradle, rules the world…

76. SJohnson says:

The e-mail address for this so-called ‘teacher’ doesn’t work. They have taken it off of their system. I am assuming this is due to the numerous amounts of e-mail that she was receiving. I am also assuming the e-mails weren’t just to say hello.
    I am from a military family, and have a son in the military currently. He is a “doc” to the Marines. Hopefully, this little girl was taught from her parents that there are ignorant people out there when it comes to military issues, such as this woman/’teacher’, and to just ignore this kind of stupidity. However, she was little, and she looked pretty upset. I guess she probably wasn’t expecting such stupidity from a so-called teacher, as this woman.
    I am not surprised that this woman is still teaching. I can only hope that families that not only have military moms/dads/brothers/daughters, etc., talk with their children alot about this kind of thing and what to do in case it occurs to them. TELL SOMEONE IMMEDIATELY! Also, tell your children it is ok to like whomever, and not judge others for this. Also, stress the fact that even adults can act like children, and bad ones at that, per this woman as an example.
    I will be e-mailing the Superintendent, and spreading this video around like wild-fire.
    Very sad, and a disgrace to her profession.

77. 5th Level Fighter says:

They’ve broken the hyperlink to her email on the schools website. Must be hitting her pretty hard. I’m going to try to deduce her address anyway and post it here in the comments.

78. 5th Level Fighter says:

Diatha Harris
    6 Briar Cir
    Fayetteville, NC 28306
    (910)484-0462

79. can2008 says:

“[And let’s all be clear here. If she were a conservative attacking her students for supporting Obama, this post wouldn’t exist. This has absolutely nothing to do with her being a teacher and making kids cry. I know more than a few conservative parents who encourage using the paddle in public schools. It has everything to do with vilifying the President-elect using whatever strung out logically flawed argument Dan can stumble upon. This is about Obama, plan and simple.]
    Posted By: IslamoLama”
    No…let’s be HONEST here. If this were a white teacher attacking a black girl for “pulling for” Obama, this would be headline news. The teacher would be attacked for being racist and immediately suspended until they decided to fire her. All the radical avid supporters of Obama, like Jeremiah Wright, would be screaming and hollering. They would love to have another reason to pull the race card!
    This “teacher” surely can’t argue the issues with adults, so instead she attacks her innocent students. Voting on one thing, the color of his skin, is fine for a nine year old boy who doesn’t understand or care about our country’s issues. But it is pure ignorance from any adult.
    I am so sick of people saying that the decision has been made and we should all just shut up. Just like everyone shut up after Bush became President. I will NEVER stop voicing my views against Obama…so why don’t you drop it. The issue with this video is NOT about Obama and McCain, of course all of the Obama supporters would like it to be. Wake up; maybe you should watch this video again! The problem is this woman attacking an innocent girl, for what her parents believe!
    Take a minute and put YOUR child in that little girl’s place. Then how would you feel? You wouldn’t care if they were debating whether a orange or an apple were better. You would care that your daughter had just been made to feel stupid for her beliefs. Don’t we live in America, where we believe in freedom to believe what you wish? Or is that too, just some Conservative mumbo-jumbo?

80. cand08 says:

Posted By: IslamoLama”

81. Indigo Red says:

The Cumberland County Board of Education is eagarly awaiting the emails Monday morning:
    Larry Lancaster
    Frank Barragan
    FKBarragan@nc.rr.com
    Mary Emily Royal
    Royalme@nc.rr.com
    Macky Hall
    MackyH@nc.rr.com
    Also, Diatha Harris once hosted Pres GHW Bush, “Exchange With Reporters During a Visit With the Harris Family in Asheville, North Carolina” September 5, 1992

82. me says:

The phone number listed above is a valid number! I called and left a message (should have known the would have the balls to answer).

83. mlo says:

Let’s see. The last time I looked gays had the right to marry just as you and I do. If he really supported public schools, his children would attend public schools. – This for Spartan112
    The comment regarding Sarah Palin’s knowledge of Africa – not true. Please look these things up before you post them or else you are just spreading lies and destroy any credibility the web might have. Is she any more of a bimbo than Nancy Pelosi?? or Hillary Clinton?? or Oprah Winfrey?? I think not.
    Further, it has not been my observation that home schooled children are taught to hate. Conversely, it seems that public school children are the ones taught to hate – watch that video again.

84. Crosby87 says:

This is the e-mail I just sent to every member of the council, the Principal, and Vice-Principal. Wondering if there have been any personal responses yet…
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    To Whom It May Concern,
    Obviously you are getting a lot of angry e-mails from folks all over the country. While I am absolutely incensed at the way Ms. Harris conducted herself in the classroom with the young John McCain supporter, I will keep this correspondence civil so as to not offend.
    First, The words of Ms. Harris were not only inflammatory and out-of-line, but were factually incorrect. John McCain’s comment about keeping troops in Iraq for 100 years was blatantly distorted by the media and, apparently, Ms. Harris did what so many other uninformed American’s do; trust what the press reports without researching its validity.
    In Derry, New Hampshire After being asked his opinion on President Bush’s statement that we may be in Iraq for 50 years, he stated “maybe a hundred”. He then went on to explain that “We’ve been in Japan for 60 years; we’ve been in South Korea for 50 years or so and, that would be fine with me, as long as American’s are not being harmed or wounded or killed. It’s fine with me and I hope it would be fine with you if we maintain a presence in a very volatile part of the world.” Senator McCain stated correctly that after nearly every conflict we have been involved in around the world, we have set up military bases to protect America from future threats. He was simply pointing out that America has had this type of policy for many years and that he would continue with that policy for as long as it takes to help secure the middle east. By the way, this policy has been enforced by every modern President; both Democrat and Republican.
    Not only did Ms. Harris misrepresent to her students what Senator McCain was trying to convey, she used oral intimidation and public humiliation to browbeat that child. She did exactly what she later states in her interview she cannot do when discussing this subject with the children. I have a friend, Melissa Heil, that teaches art here in Atlanta. She is a staunch Obama supporter. She was repeatedly asked by her students who she was going to vote for. Every time she was asked she told her students that “the privilege of voting for one candidate or another is a sacred one” and that “her vote and support was a private affair” that they should not be asking about. This is exactly the response I got from my teachers in school when I was growing up in the seventies and eighties. What has happened in our government-run schools that teachers feel it necessary to promote their social and political views on our children? A teachers job is to teach the facts… PERIOD! Not to have a social or political agenda to ram down our children’s collective throat.
    For the record, Ms. Harris is exactly the kind of teacher that prompted my wife and me to begin homeschooling our, now nine year-old, child two years ago. We have very strong conservative values and a belief in the exact word of our Constitution. Although not keeping with most conservatives, we have a differing view of religious and social issues. These are the fundamentals that we base our political beliefs and lifestyle on. However, we NEVER force our view in our child’s face. She is allowed, and encouraged, to go to church every week with her Grandmother even though we do not believe the same thing. When she asks, we tell her what our belief system is and we discuss the fact that everybody can have differing views. Just because somebody believes something different does not mean that they are stupid and are to be treated with any lack of respect. This sounds like a lesson that Ms. Harris needs to learn.
    During this political season I was very vocal in my distaste for Barack Obama; Not for the color of his skin, but for the content of his character. My daughter and I had numerous conversations as to why I felt the way I did. I made sure to always give the ‘other side of the coin’ when explaining my views. I never told her how to think, feel or act. Because of this, she will learn to be a critical thinker and allow her mind grow by challenging herself to decide where her beliefs lie. While we will always be there to guide her away from harm, she will have the ability to think for herself, make up her own mind, and eventually grow into a fine young woman and be an asset to this country. After seeing they way Ms. Harris treats her students for not ‘following the pack’ I am thankful that I have a choice of how my child is schooled. By her action, Ms. Harris is doing her students grave harm by not allowing their minds to grow and be critical thinkers. Not allowing the free flow of ideas will do nothing but continue to ‘dumb down’ our society. This kind of teaching is exactly why American schools are in the bottom percentiles of the industrial world. While I do not believe that Ms. Harris should be fired, I do believe that a restructuring of her responsibilities within the school and/or the district is in order.
    Thank you for your time and consideration.
    Sincerely,

85. L says:

It’s PRINCLPAL. I agree, Harris should be fired, but spell it correctly!

86. me says:

I have three words for everybody….
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!READ THE BIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Then you will see what has been happening, is happening, and what is going to happen!

87. dustremover says:

Harris went way over the line. Her comments were totally inappropriate for the student’s age level and for a person in authority. She should be suspended at the very least for a week. Maybe consider taking a few courses in critical thought and logic. It might help her get less caught up in emotional servitude and starry-eyed illusions and help her begin to analyze politics and other subjects pertinent to good teaching and appropriate conduct.

88. dustremover says:

Harris went way over the line. Her comments were totally inappropriate for the student’s age level and for a person in authority. She should be suspended at the very least for a week–maybe consider taking a few courses in critical thought and logic. It might assist her in becoming less caught up in emotional servitude and starry-eyed illusions and help her begin to analyze politics and the perils of human behavior when it gets carried away with feeling smug.

89. Indyjim says:

No sane adult would give this woman the time of day, so she has to resort to brainwashing children. It’s disgraceful!