Jon Voight In 2012?

June 8, 2009

Compare and contrast. According to the AP, they didn't raise the amount of funds some expected. Good move, GOP. I guess you should have gone with Palin after all. Full report here.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich on Monday urged some 2,000 Republican party loyalists to stand up for GOP principles but to be inclusive as the party tries to retake the majority.

"I am happy that Dick Cheney is a Republican," Gingrich said at the annual Senate-House fundraising dinner. "I am also happy that Colin Powell is a Republican."

Cheney, the former vice president under President George W. Bush, and Powell, who was Bush's secretary of state, have feuded recently over the approach of the party, with Powell calling for more moderation and Cheney arguing against that.

"A majority Republican party will have lots of debates within the party," Gingrich, the former Georgia congressman, said. "That is the nature of majority parties."

Actor Jon Voight, who hosted the dinner, delivered a particularly harsh rebuke to Obama, saying he was "embarrassed" by the president and that Obama's leadership would cause the "downfall" of the country.

"We are becoming a weak nation," he said, calling Obama a "false prophet" and his administration the "Obama oppression."

Republican leaders who spoke afterward praised his comments. "You're great. Come back any time," Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky said. Gingrich called Voight's comments a rallying cry until the next elections in 2010.

Comments:
  1. Ran says:

“Gingrich called Voight’s comments a rallying cry until the next elections in 2010.”
    Can’t we just wrap Newt (with one “n”) in that “big tent” and sent him off to Colorado for some bucolic camping? Gingrich (with one “n”) has been part of the problem for well over a decade. Enough with these Republicans (…with one “n”.)
    Voight (with two “n’s”) makes a welcome addition to the Party. More like Voight, please.

2. Stephen Parker says:

Jon Voigt is a looser just like GOP party. and yes Obama is great is going to take this country in the rigth direction.

3. Ran says:

“just like GOP party” … “in the rigth direction”
    If that, folks, isn’t an indictment of the good Mr. Parker’s public screwl education…

4. PA says:

“Obama is great is going to take this country in the rigth direction”

5. JustOneMan says:

Obama’s disapproval rating on the economy has risen from 30 percent in February to 42 percent, according to a Gallup poll completed May 31.
    Start scraping the stickers off, hiding your buttons and t-shirts…
    Change we can believe in?

6. K. Baker says:

So among their apparently never-ending acts of revenge and destruction, Republicans also key cars?? Typical Republican asshole behavior. Oh, wait a minute: “Republican asshole” is a redundant coupling of a pair of synonyms! I shutter to think of the example you set for your spawn.

7. sam M says:

Jon Voight is an asss. He is 100% wrong about Obama’s successes. Voight is the one causing weakness in the US with his delusional ultra right rants.

8. HatlessHessian says:

We don’t have leaders in the Republican party. It’s remarkable how we’re left with no princes and nothing but the prince’s court. Leadership, they fail to realize, is not about opening up the membership rules in order to let anyone with any differing view in, patronizing the entire population in the process. Leadership is about defining principles, committing to them personally and professionally, and effectively communicating them in your advocacy for political stewardship.
    Newt had no such principles in his personal life and we shouldn’t have expected them in his public. While it’s an unpopular commentary today, a man who cheats on his closest confidant will screw anyone less without hesitation. The longer we listen to such false leaders, the longer the Republicans will remain out of power. Lead with principles, not marketing research on just how many more bodies you can add (neglecting how many you’ll turn off) by embracing amnesty for illegals, tax “just” on the rich, pork for just your best lobbyist friends, free prescription drugs for seniors, etc.

9. Saya says:

Firstly, who are you kidding? Jon Voight…an ass? He’s one of the few actors who actually has the balls to stand up for what he believes is right. I applaud him for that alone. How can he possibly be wrong about Obama’s….wait, you said successes? Hahaha, Yea right. Obama epically failed with this whole money to businesses thing. Which business was it again that gave more money to their fat rich high ended employees? Right. Obama never gave difinitive lines as to how that money was to be dispersed to the lower ends. All the execs got fat bonuses. Way to go Obama.
    How could he not have figured that this business would take the money and pull a fast one?? Big corporations, big businesses are about nothing BUT money. They don’t give a frick for the poor low income guy working his ass off just to support himself and whatever family he has. And yet Obama didn’t take steps with the contracts to take out any loopholes to make absolute sure that the people who NEED the money get it.
    I’m not even saying that as a republican. But I’m going to say this for that party. Republican does not mean asshole, you ignorant person. Don’t stereotype a group of people just because you feel like it. “Within 9 months you’ll be scraping the Obama bumper stickers off your car to keep people from keying it too.” I highly doubt that person was limiting the list of people keying cars to republicans. Rather, I would think that person meant that for anyone who hates Obama, whether they be Liberal or Republican. Liberals can hate that man too you know. He did fail pretty badly. So before you decide to attack a group of people just because you are too narrow minded, make sure that whatever is coming out of your mouth or through your typing, doesn’t make you look stupid and ignorant.

10. SacTownMan says:

“Jon Voigt is a looser just like GOP party”
    Just who is Jon Voigt and what the hell is a looser!!
    Man are these trolls seriously stupid or what?
    And know I wouldn’t key your car but I would consider peeing on the door handle!

11. SacTownMan says:

“I shutter to think of the example you set for your spawn.”
    Who talks like this?
    The hate is strong in this one Obi-Wan!!
    Have fun wearing that new aluminum hat at the Tower 7 conference this weekend!

12. Everything but the

Its been a while since Ive done a what Im reading instead of working post but theres so much good stuff in my RSS reader today that I feel compelled.
    Bill Whittles latest Afterburner is classic, especial…

13. ed says:

Intersting that when someone like Sean penn or Springsteen make poltical comments you trash them as know nothing hollywood types who should stick to acting…but when Jon Voigt blabs you treat it like the Gospel… hypocrisy at its finest

14. seekeronos says:

“— Intersting that when someone like Sean penn or Springsteen make poltical comments you trash them as know nothing hollywood types —”
    …maybe it is *because* they are know-nothing Hollywierd types, irrespective of their politics?

15. Linda Farrell says:

Thanks to Jon and he voiced an opinion which alot of people share when it comes to protecting Isreal.
    Let Obama do as he must Jon the prophecy is being fufilled and I am glad for that.People who do not believe in the Bible are in for a shock.

16. Roger Maxson says:

Jon Voight is a LOSER and I swear by god I will boycott anthing and everything Jon Voight from this point on. Truth is I already have since his coming out for Rudy. I can do anything I want; I can support and vote or whatever I please because I’m not selling anything. I don’t have a business so whoever I support is my business; however, Voight is: his career and as far as I’m concerned it’s over. His parenting skillls have failed; his family values obviously have failed. And now this. YOU GO JON! Coward. whatever you’re selling I’m not buying. Yes, Jon, gee how can we possibly lead the world toward peace . . . I guess you and your republican losers are right: nothing we can do. LOSER

17. jd says:

Listening to Voight rant & rave made me nostalgic for the silent film days when actors could be seen but never heard. I guess since he can’t buy an acting job without his daughter’s help he’s desperate for an audience, any audience.
    Oh, and Saya, before you accuse another poster of looking “stupid and ignorant”, you might want to pull your head out of your butt and get your facts straight. The “whole money to businesses thing” as you so eloquently phrased it is called TARP and it was the Bush administration and Sec. Paulsen who failed to define proper guidelines for how the money would be used. Before Pres. Obama came on board most of the money was already out the door. Obama, btw, was one of the chief critics of AIG’s use of the funds and the Treasury Dept.’s lack of oversight.
    Nice try scapegoating, though. You can always count on the republicans for their revisionist approach to history and their own failures.

18. jd says:

…one more thing, Saya, in response to your comment: “…make sure that whatever is coming out of your mouth or through your typing, doesn’t make you look stupid and ignorant”
    Please keep talking. Whenever you open your mouth a trailer park falls out and I enjoy the laugh.

19. jaime says:

What happened to “shut up and sing?” Or do Hollywood actors’ opinions only count when they are Republicans?
    Who gives a shit what the star of Baby Geniuses 2 has to say?

20. White and Black Mixed says:

Not since “Midnight Cowboy” (1969) has Jon Voight gotten so much attention. He’d better thank his lucky stars he’s able to spew publicized contempt at such a wildly popular figure as President Obama because most people on the planet do another give a flying flag about Jon voight and that is the truth. He won’t even get another shot at Seinfield so maybe brother John Singleton will give him another shot at a movie. (“Rosewood” 1997). Even his made for cable TV days have been long gone. Sorry Jon, no one cares what you think. Really, they do not care.

21. Cattle Baron says:

“I am also happy that Colin Powell is a Republican.”
    There’s a reason why the term RINO exists…

22. WestWright says:

Wow, the Oborg is really sending the flying monkeys to the Jon voight threads…I’d like to see some analysis comparing the Jon V. vs Sarah P. flyin’ monkey comments.