Sarah Palin: They Just Don’t Get Her, Or Us

August 2, 2009

No, I'm not just trolling Sarah Palin links today to generate traffic, though it often does. This weekend's episode has generated many informational, or otherwise worthwhile, thoughtful posts about Sarah Palin. Say what you want, this woman captivates like no one else, especially the GOP-aligned political class and the Left. But she does more than just that.

She engages the Right, somehow, or, actually, causes them to engage on a level they don't with most politicians today. In short, they think about her. I know enough psychology that such a thing suggests they do it as it somehow connects to them. Try as we might, we are and will always be relatively self-centric, not to be read as self-centered, as human beings.

While we have our sense of family, friends, and even God … when we look out at the stars alone at night, there is, in the end, only us. Politically speaking, conservatives don't feel very well understood today by the media, the elites and much of the political class – call it the world. And that is no superficial thing.

And like us, I believe many feel those classes above don't understand Sarah Palin very well, either. So, perhaps it's that, more than anything else, that causes many conservatives to think both of and about her the way they do, as they see her as a reflection of the real them. It's a thought, anyway.

And with that, a more thoughtful post from Sissy Willis, someone whose thoughtful and delicately refined blog presence I've admired for years out here, without ever acknowledging it, or connecting, such as it is – self-centric, all to varying degrees, like I said! And sometimes I'm bad that way. heh!

Sarah Palin = 1, Saul Alinsky = 0

Like President Obama when it comes to the rationale behind police work in Cambridge, when it comes to the rationale behind Sarah Palin's stepping down from her Alaska governorship Sunday, Palinologists have a nasty habit of rushing to judgment in a fact-challenged cloud of psychological denial and projection, curiously incurious about what makes "the other" tick.

Comments:
  1. sisu says:

Sarah Palin = 1, Saul Alinsky = 0

Less is fewer? Why would you write “in less than” 140 characters when you knew the proper grammar would be “in fewer than”? [see Usage Note] Because you were twittering and honing your prose to keep the tweet count to…

2. Sissy Willis says:

Dan Riehl = 1, Palin haters = 0
    Thanks so much for the linky love! :-)
    Have linked you in an update.

3. Dan Riehl says:

You’re welcome, Sissy. Thank you for the ntelligence and subtle wit of your blog.

4. Rich K says:

I remember reading long ago one of Ayn Rands observations on egoism vs egotism as it relates to the self-centric viewpoint you mention. All men by our nature are egoistic ( concerned for self). Egotism is an aberation where men are concerned about thier apparance before other men ( do they like me,am I worthy etc). Sadly, men of low or no values seek the collective as a safe haven and men of high values seek security in thier own works and if others benefit,thats a bonus to them but not the motivation of the originator of said works. And that my freinds is as brief an explanation of the difference between Conservatives and liberals as I can state with out writing a tome.
    Enjoy your sunday everyone.

5. Lisa Graas says:

With all due respect to Rich, his analysis is an oversimplification. Countless things drive individuals.
    Now watch as I simplify even further. ;-)
    Sarah Palin has two primary things going for her. Conservatism and integrity.
    While some may try to preach about the conservatism and integrity of the other two guys (Romney and Huckabee), Palin has lived them so boldly and “mavericky”, if you will, that she would be unstoppable…….unless you (1) make her look less conservative than she really is or (2) charge that she has less integrity than she actually possesses or (3) really go overboard and call her an idiot, but to do that you have to make things up.
    Example:
    While Palin was getting AGIA going (things that people in Alaska could only dream about for decades), and went on with Matt Lauer and Wolf Blitzer to talk about it……..they were really only interested in…….David Letterman.
    Most people critical of Palin can’t even tell you what AGIA is (let alone ACES, the petroleum oversight commission, the nature of the ethics reform she championed, not to mention her record on reform) because they are more concerned about the fact that she’s a Christian mother who went to some obscure university (like Reagan?) than they are about effective government. While Lauer and Blitzer beclowned themselves before the so-called “ignorant” Palinistas, the Palinistas were all listening to her explain the gasline because we knew what was happening in Juneau.
    It’s laughable to be called an idiot and have your candidate called an idiot by people who have the attention spans of gnats and can’t stop talking about David Letterman. If that’s what America has become, America doesn’t deserve to have Sarah Palin as President.

6. RAH says:

Dan has worried about conservatives falling into the trap of hatred toward Obama. But we just do not think of starting totally false rumors as easily as the Palin haters.
    This Birth certificate crap was started with the Democrats. But I think it is best to lay it at rest with the long form. Maybe reveal it to SCOTUS so they can say with finality that he was born in Hawaii legally.
    However this is good training for Palin since if she plans on a political future to crush rumors before they get legs.

7. Lisa Graas says:

I agree with RAH to a point, but it’s not that we aren’t willing to start false rumors. It’s that we aren’t willing to talk about the seedy details that are actually true. I mean, did anyone read Pamela Geller’s blog today? If you haven’t heard about it yet, you probably will….but she’s not the only one. Another blog just started by someone who will probably get some traffic that is going after the liberal Alaska bloggers on a personal level. Something snapped, I think, when that Ethicsgate video was released by Naked Emperor. Truly, I have my finger somewhat on the pulse of the Palin blogs and many of them feel it’s time to play dirty. I will not.
    Palin has said all along, and she emphasized it, I think, in her Fairbanks speech, that we have to be the alternative in that we have to build up the positives rather than tear down the negatives. I’m following her leadership on that one. It’s the right thing to do.

8. Dan Riehl says:

Just a side note to you, Lisa. I’m very happy to see you in comments. Great blog you have. But you do need to know one thing about the riehl world in which we live here.
    Unlike some Right-side bloggers I try to ban and limit commenters as little (corrected) as possible, though profanity and racism etc are off limits.
    But we do keep some resident liberals around as sort of punching bags that punch back. So, if you see some of that … don’t be surprised! lol We keep it riehl here … sometimes very much so. It can be a lively crew, often on Sarah Palin posts, or one in which I point out what idiots liberals are! ; ) Other than that, have fun.

9. Roy Lofquist says:

From a comment I made on an American Thinker post. I think it has some relevance.
    “The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.” Robert Jordan (b. James Oliver Rigney, Jr.).
    Live long enough and you catch glimpses of the wheel. Right now it feels like I’m back in high school. You know. Big man on campus, the cliques, the vicious gossip, the in crowd, the untouchables. We now have personality cults in lieu of statesmen. Our cultural elites have become boorish and arrogant in the manner of the French aristocracy that birthed the guillotine.
    American politics goes in long term cycles of about thirty years. This is evident if you peruse the the Congressional majorities for the last 200 years. Or look at the dates of our major military conflicts going back to the Revolutionary War. These cycles are generational. The rebellion of youth matures into political power in middle age.
    So, we are back to the future – 1980. The parallels are uncanny. A President demonized by the press succeeded by a feckless incompetent. The answer then was Ronald Reagan. He was derided by the intelligentsia as a B-actor who said rash and dangerous things. My God! He went to Dixon College and was a sports announcer!
    Remind you of anyone? Sarah Palin has been savaged by the self styled elites of both parties. They are sore afraid. They sense the awakening of an ominous discontent in the land. The “Tea Parties” are new and jarring – millions of ordinary people showing up in places not seen before. They are pleasant people of all stripes who have no burning issue save that of profound annoyance. And they are not going away. Beware he who is slow to anger.
    Sarah Palin is a hick, a yokel, a bumpkin, a hayseed, a Bible thumping Neanderthal. She actually owns guns, catches fish from an open boat in Alaska and shoots game to feed her family. She talks funny and is something of a broodmare. She is a cowboy, a maverick – pejoratives to our betters but endearing to us. She also slays dragons. Witness the smoldering remains of the Republican establishment in Alaska.
    “The Wheel of Time turns”. Someone will catch the tide. That someone just might be Sarah Palin. Who’d a thunk that Ronnie would come back as the hottest chick on the planet?

10. Slide says:

Hey Lisa I am one of those punching bags that punches back. Welcome to the Riehl Palin cult. You will find nos end of post by Dan on Sarah. A cynical ploy to get traffic to his blog? or does he truly see those little starbursts the Rich Lowery talked about? Who knows but the ratio of Palin post is skyrocketing these days… We may have to do an intervention soon.

11. narciso says:

No, Slide, you slither there is a difference. We admire Sarah for all those positive qualities
    and accomplishments that Lisa Graas pointed out. We have a healthy disdain for Obama precisely for his lack of accomplishment. I don’t hold any grief for his family, in fact
    I feel a little sorry that his father left him
    at an early age; yet he dedicates all his admiration to both him and Lolo Soetoro.

12. Rich K says:

Like I said Lisa,I dont write tomes ,especially on a sunday but your comments are just more grist for the mill and welcome as any other.Oh,and next time remember to brings cookies for our contrarian friends here like the S man.

13. Lisa Graas says:

Maybe some background is in order. I’m the youngest of six with no sisters. At the dinner table, if I couldn’t get through the flying elbows of five hungry teenage males, I would starve. Capiche?
    I do appreciate the heads up on the proverbial “rules of order”. I did leave Red State because the rules were not followed in the comments section. As long as I know what the rules are (or the lack of them?) and as long as no one breaks them, I’m fine. Going in, knowing rules are few, I’m fine.
    I’m a former crisis pregnancy counselor — toughest job I ever had. Best job I ever had? Barmaid.
    I’ve been a lobbyist (volunteer basis for Right to Life) and co-chair for a statewide PAC. I’ve knocked on doors for candidates and I’m an experienced Catholic apologist. I once seriously considered putting a lighted sign on my front lawn that said “Free Lemonade for Jehovah’s Witnesses”.
    I’m also a mother of four and I trained my own service dog.
    I think I can handle it. ;-)

14. Rob Crawford says:

“She engages the Right, somehow, or, actually, causes them to engage on a level they don’t with most politicians today.”
    Palin is not one of the New Aristocracy. She didn’t attend an Ivy League school, she hasn’t spent most of her adult life in DC, she’s worked real jobs that depend on serving customers and managing employees. In short, she’s a real person, the kind of person who should be in office, in place of the mandarinate.

15. FeFe says:

Everything must be defined in political terms. No fun for you!

16. Rogue says:

You are right. I just don’t get Sarah Palin. I don’t get someone who pretends that it’s better to quit than to fulfill her commitment to her state without having a good reason for quitting. I don’t get a woman who pushes a teenage mother to promote abstinence. I don’t get a woman who attacks unknown bloggers for petty reasons, thereby insuring that whatever the bloggers said or did would receive national attention. I don’t get a woman who would endanger her unborn special-needs child by flying extensively in her last trimester, even after leaking amniotic fluid. I don’t get a woman who claims to be a special-needs advocate, and yet her own sister stated that she did not understand the needs of an autistic child. If my sister had an autistic child, I would have been researching the issue when the child was young, not paying lip-service to the issues when the child was already a teenager. I don’t get a woman who claims to be a special-needs advocate, and yet her own special-needs child could not get the early intervention therapy recommended for him because he was being dragged all over the country. I don’t get a woman who claims to be a devoted Christian, and yet when you examine her charitable giving, she neglects to tithe. I am obviously missing something, because I just cannot reconcile her actions with her words. Where I come from, that’s called be a hypocrite.

17. I don’t get someone who pretends that it’s better to quit than to fulfill her commitment to her state without having a good reason for quitting.
    The state was going to be out millions of dollars defending against frivolous ethics lawsuits by Obama Party members who were plainly out to destroy her personally and prevent her organization from working.
    “I don’t get a woman who pushes a teenage mother to promote abstinence.”
    Do you also disagree with using former drug addicts to promote abstaining from drugs?
    “I don’t get a woman who attacks unknown bloggers for petty reasons, thereby insuring that whatever the bloggers said or did would receive national attention.”
    It’s called making it clear that people tell malicious lies about you at their peril. It also involves making it clear that Barack Obama is paying these people to tell malicious lies.
    “I don’t get a woman who would endanger her unborn special-needs child by flying extensively in her last trimester, even after leaking amniotic fluid.”
    Are you her doctor? If not, please list your credentials to demonstrate why we should give a flying f*ck what you think. I’ll be curious to note if you yourself are a doctor, because if you are, you’ve just broken a rule of medical ethics and can have your license revoked.
    “I don’t get a woman who claims to be a special-needs advocate, and yet her own sister stated that she did not understand the needs of an autistic child. If my sister had an autistic child, I would have been researching the issue when the child was young, not paying lip-service to the issues when the child was already a teenager.”
    No, you would have committed infanticide once the child had been found to be autistic. Any other speculative games you want to play?
    “I don’t get a woman who claims to be a special-needs advocate, and yet her own special-needs child could not get the early intervention therapy recommended for him because he was being dragged all over the country.”
    Again, are you Trig Palin’s doctor? If not, please list your credentials to demonstrate why we should give a flying f*ck what you think. I’ll be curious to note if you yourself are a doctor, because if you are, you’ve just broken a rule of medical ethics and can have your license revoked.
    “I don’t get a woman who claims to be a devoted Christian, and yet when you examine her charitable giving, she neglects to tithe.”
    Oh really? Why don’t you post your link to that source and prove it?
    “I am obviously missing something, because I just cannot reconcile her actions with her words.”
    Of course you’re missing something. You’re a prejudiced, lying bigot whose only concern is attacking Sarah Palin, and as a result, you’re not capable of intelligent or intellectual thought concerning her, nor are you able to review evidence as do normal people.