Politico: All Your Politicos Belong To Us!

September 15, 2009

Well, it was a nice word while it lasted, dating back to 1630. Now it seems the growing power of New Media has convinced Politico that they get to own a noun!! Man, wouldn't I love to have me one of those.

Asshats for $200, Alex, please. Yeah, that'll do.

Patterico has the details of their legal threat to College Politico. But they couldn't be content with stopping at English, nah! Talk about your global imperialism, geesh!

Sombrero del asno para 200 dólares, Alejandro, por favor.

Dear Reader: Faced with a trademark legal challenge and protracted litigation by the publishers of the newspaper and website ¨Politico,¨we have reluctantly chosen to change the name of our publication, from“La Política” to “CandidatoUSA.”

No links to Politico until this gets resolved and, as with Patterico, I'd encourage other bloggers to climb on board. I'll update if others come on line.

Comments:
  1. Russ Goble says:

So, what others will follow suit? Doesn’t this pretty much confirm what kind of crappy lawyer Glen Reynolds is. I mean, what’s the old saying? Those who can, do, those who can’t, teach? I mean, what kind of lawyer worth his salt, sits on such a great brand and doesn’t go and trademark the crap out of “insta” and “pundit.” Loser.
    (P.S. – I’m joking)

2. bc says:

Whatever you do, don’t change to Politico “R” Us.

3. WAHOO WILLIE says:

Still in Iraq, more troops to A’stan, GITMO is still open and now this:
    He has GOT to quit doing this stuff to his base.

4. BrucC says:

He has GOT to quit doing this stuff to his base.
    WAHOO WILLIE | Tuesday, September 15, 2009 at 10:49 PM
    huh..and I was thinking that he needed to keep it up. Go figure.

5. Sean Ryan says:

Where would Politico’s chief, Robert Allbritton, have learned such thuggery? Maybe from such pros as Augusto Pinochet, for whom the Allbrittons laundered money as owners of Washington DC-based Riggs Bank.

6. Micajah says:

How many publications use “Times” in their names? Maybe the NYT could use this ploy to save itself by licensing the use of the word to all those interlopers.

7. cindi says:

Seem to remember Clinton signing a bill about just this. Madonna sued some guy who used Madonna in his domain name. She sued thru the World Court and won. Trademark rights or something like that.

8. Mike G in Corvallis says:

Pikers, all of them. I’m trademarking “The”!

9. louis c says:

I call “.com”! Dan you will be getting a letter soon.

10. Tim H. says:

Attacking the Spanish-language “Politica” is particularly galling. The Spanish for “politician” is actually “politico” (!) (imagine if they’d used that, instead!), and “politica” simply means “politics.” It’s the normal word in that language! So they’ll go after Acta Politica next? The Dutch political science journal?
    I’m all for (non-eternal) patent and copyright protection, but I’ve always had a problem with aspects of trademark law, because of idiocy like this.
    On second thought, maybe Acta Politica ought to go after Politico…

11. Mikee says:

Darn I wanted “the” but will have to settle for “a” and “it” and “I” I guess….