Sarah Palin 2.0

November 20, 2009

There's little point in engaging every small criticism, or attack against Sarah Palin. In most instances it would only amount to elevating what are no more than petty assaults. And no attempt to interject logic into any debate will work against those critics most desperately intent on nipping at Sarah's heels. No, unfortunately, logic will never stop the mental defective, Andrew Sullivan, from wanting to wear Sarah's heels, either, … provided they're high and bright red, of course.

What's best to realize is that there is something larger going on, not that attempts at such are all that unique. When, for whatever reason, public figures get a bad wrap for something, there often comes a time when they choose to re-emerge, to fight back. Palin has chosen her time and she's selected her path, just as she should. And while it's too early to draw too broad a conclusion, it's silly to not acknowledge, … well, so far, so good!

Going forward, it is not the Sarah Palin of 2008 and early 2009 that matters. What matters is who she is becoming now and who she will eventually be in the public's eye. And, while I already said it's too early to draw conclusions, it is nonetheless true that, for now, people appear to like what they see when they take a look at Sarah Palin. All that really does is bring them around to where a great many people have been all along. And evidence of it is quickly mounting up

Despite being characterized by many as a divisive force in her party and the nation, Americans are much more likely to give Palin a positive rating (47 percent favorable) than another prominent female leader — Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (28 percent favorable). Moreover, about six in 10 Americans (61 percent) think Palin has been treated unfairly by the press, according to the latest Fox News poll…

Heavens, if this keeps up, Andy may just have to jump ship at The Atlantic to lose himself among some seaman. Or, perhaps he'll just go back to drowning himself in something similar sounding out on the Internet as he once was, mister RawMuslglutes.

Comments:
  1. USMC says:

Dan,
    Is it me or is Palin holding back? I feel it’s purposeful. Ingraham prodded her and Hannity did on a couple of issues and she hedged. Wondering if she’s saving the hard stuff for next year.
    I agree with you “so far, so good”. I don’t know I feel like she’s a Lamborghini stuck in traffic. Just a thought.

2. southdakotaboy says:

I find myself rooting for Sarah just for the fact I want to see my Sister In Law’s head explode. I mean don’t get me wrong I love my Sister In Law but she has pictures of Obama on the walls of her house and it drives me nuts. She and her husband have completely drank the kool aid.
    I just want to go up to her after the 2012 elections and put my arm around her and go “Say it with me… President Palin.”

3. Allen G says:

USMC,
    My take has been that she’s trying to strike a tone that says “book tour” instead of “Presidential run.” When/If she decides to run for President, she’ll be more definative on some of those issues (I hope, anyway)- and you’ll notice she often is on Facebook. Right now, though, she’s on a book tour signing copies of a new book and trying to set the historical record straight.
    I think she’s just trying not to let anyone (and that means anyone) hijack her message.

4. Al in St. Lou says:

Are you becoming a Sarah Palin fan, Dan?
    USMC, “a Lamborghini stuck in traffic” seems very apt!

5. bishop says:

I think Dan, has always been, he has had somequestions about her viability as a candidate for future office.
    I avoid MSNBC like the plague, and those little blurbs remind me why I do so. They are so in the tank for Obama, that it’s not even funny

6. PA says:

Typhoid Mary’s favorables are better than Pelosi’s.

7. gary gulrud says:

Good post. I don’t know that Cuda will swing the Krauthammers out there, who are generally respected, seemingly independent thinkers.
    But I like her trend to date: support candidates, issue opinions, provide memes to the faithful battling the oligarchy, study up, pick your battles, speak widely, yadayada. Her start on the competition surprises me.
    Who are the other options again?

8. Lightwave says:

Palin’s favorable numbers are better than The One’s right now according to Rasmussen, 51% to his 46%. That gap will only widen over the weeks and years ahead.
    The best thing that can happen to the Republicans is to pick up enough Senate seats so that the Ben Nelsons and Evan Bayhs can block any Pelosi legislation that comes across. Let the Dems keep the House if only barely.
    By 2012 it will be a tossup as to which is higher, the unemployment rate or Obama’s poll numbers. Both will be in the mid teens.
    I wonder, when does Hillary make her move to primary Obama?

9. Dan Riehl says:

“fan, Dan”?
    Bishop is mostly correct. I have always been a fan. But I’m also the type to not get carried away with anyone, or anything. I supported her throughout the election, after – and still do. But I also try to mostly stay focused on the present outhere as a general rule. So, other than her book tour, the whole president, political future deal is not of too much interest to me right now. So I tend to not even think in those terms.
    For me, the sdoor to the WH has always been open to her, it still is, whether she has the stuff to get through it will be revealed over time. I don’t see anyone having an edge on her for 2012, in case that’s what you mean. And I have no candidate of choice.
    Just a cynical guy, maybe. Especially when it comes to women! lol

10. Mike2Cents says:

You wouldn’t have to look to far or deep in this forum to find plenty of critiques and jokes re: some of Obama’s fans and supporters getting a little infatuated with, ‘The One’
    Hard to sympathize I’m sure, but as an Obama supporter I had to suffer that more that any of you guys did (and when I gave a friend the Obama plate he unfortunately didn’t quite get I was making fun of him a little – not meaning it to be a genuine sentimental keepsake).
    I see Dan’s post here and similar love sonnets out there as an odd repeat of all that.
    Kinda funny, considerin’…
    Hopefully someday when someone gives Dan the Sarah plate, he’ll understand why he’s getting it.

11. Bob says:

“There’s little point in engaging every small criticism, or attack against Barack Obama. In most instances it would only amount to elevating what are no more than petty assaults. And no attempt to interject logic into any debate will work against those critics most desperately intent on nipping at Obama’s heels. No, unfortunately, logic will never stop the mental defective, Dan Riehl, from wanting to wear Obama’s shoes, either, … except that Dan prefers his shoes to be high and bright red, of course.”

12. USMC says:

“My take has been that she’s trying to strike a tone that says “book tour” instead of “Presidential run.”
    I think you nailed it chief. Thanks for the thought. I see Bob is here again talking trash. Bob needs to come out of the closet and admit deep down he’s Pro American and not a progressive. C’mon Bob be true to yourself you know you love America! Put down the Progressive Bong and sober up.
    You’re on the wrong side of history.
    However Mrs. Palin has more to prove. Like Dan I don’t run around screaming like a school girl asking celebrities to sign my chest or grab my ankles like Obama diehards do. Hopefully she is whi I think she might be and we can get the ball rollin’ and kick some Progressive ass and kick them to the ash bin of political history.

13. O! says:

Bob, thank you for that additional helping of Journolist/Axelturf talking point spam.
    2010.

14. Bob says:

“Bob needs to come out of the closet and admit deep down he’s Pro American and not a progressive. C’mon Bob be true to yourself you know you love America! Put down the Progressive Bong and sober up.”
    USMC, liberals like me don’t have to entertain the dumb pretenses of wing nuts like you. Wrapping yourself in the flag and taunting people who you imagine to be less righteous than yourself doesn’t make you a patriot, it makes you a dumb, jingoistic simpleton.
    “The Progressive movement is a disgusting and treasonous ideology. Minus Allah they sound no different than Hasan or Bin Laden.”
    See? That sounds just like something a dumb, jingoistic simpleton would say. I rest my case.

15. USMC says:

For Bob, a quick history of the Progressive movement:
    “Now to bring about government by oligarchy masquerading as democracy, it is fundamentally essential that practically all authority and control be centralized in our national government. The individual sovereignty of our states must first be destroyed, except in mere minor matters of legislation.” — FDR March 2, 1930
    “We should hire three or four colored ministers, preferably with social-service backgrounds, and with engaging personalities. The most successful educational approach to the Negro is through a religious appeal. We don’t want the word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population. and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members.” – Margaret Sanger’s December 19, 1939 letter to Dr. Clarence Gamble. Sanger is the founder of Planned Parenthood.
    The most prominent of these, the Ku Klux Klan, was formed in Pulaski, Tennessee, in 1865. Originally founded as a social club for former Confederate soldiers, the Klan evolved into a terrorist organization. It would be responsible for thousands of deaths, and would help to weaken the political power of Southern blacks and Republicans.” – from the American Experience website run by PBS, not known for its right wing slant, http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/grant/peopleevents/e_klan.html
    Margaret Sanger talked of “Eugenic sterilization is an urgent need … We must prevent multiplication of this bad stock.”
    “The undeniably feeble-minded should, indeed, not only be discouraged but prevented from propagating their kind.”
    “Conversely, services provided to individuals who are irreversibly prevented from being or becoming participating citizens are not basic and should not be guaranteed. An obvious example is not guaranteeing health services to patients with dementia.” – Ezekiel Emmanuel, health adviser to Obama
    “Adding a sterilant to drinking water or staple foods is a suggestion that seems to horrify people more than most proposals for involuntary fertility control. Indeed, this would pose some very difficult political, legal, and social questions, to say nothing of the technical problems. No such sterilant exists today, nor does one appear to be under development. To be acceptable, such a substance would have to meet some rather stiff requirements: it must be uniformly effective, despite widely varying doses received by individuals, and despite varying degrees of fertility and sensitivity among individuals; it must be free of dangerous or unpleasant side effects; and it must have no effect on members of the opposite sex, children, old people, pets, or livestock.” – John Holdren, Obama’s Science Czar
    “The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of “liberalism”, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened..”
    He went on to say:
    “I no longer need to run as a Presidential Candidate for the Socialist Party. The Democratic Party has adopted our platform.”
    I’m a simpleton? You useful idiot. This is the ideology you endorse. Who are you to talk of flags? When your peers burn and step on it.
    My last quote: “We support the troops who shoot their officers!” – Code Pink.
    How’s the above any different then what a terrorist would say or do?
    “The tone and tendency of liberalism…is to attack the institutions of the country under the name of reform and to make war on the manners and customs (and freedom) of the people under the pretext of progress.” –Disraeli, “Speech in London”

16. USMC says:

By the way Norman Thomas (November 20, 1884 – December 19, 1968) was a leading American socialist, pacifist, and six-time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America was the one who quoted what I posted above:
    He went on to say:

17. O! says:

2010.

18. Bob says:

“How’s the above any different then what a terrorist would say or do? ”
    Sorry, fool. Liberals won’t have ignorant bigoted fools like you interpreting our ideology for us. You mischaracterize it however you want. Just don’t expect any of us to indulge your presumptions or, you know, actually READ your drivel.

19. USMC says:

I feel sorry for you actually, Bob. It must suck to devote your whole life and belief system and have a “bigoted, simpleton” expose it for what it is: a racist, hateful, fascist, baby killing and demonic ideology.
    You’re a modern day Torie Bob, a modern day Torie.

20. Bob says:

“I feel sorry for you actually, Bob.”
    Like I said, go ahead and mischaracterize it however you want. It’s only about your own sense of self-righteousness anyway. So you go ahead and flatter yourself for being so important and wise and righteous. And I’ll go ahead seeing you as a fool with your head up your own ass. Deal?

21. O! says: