Here Comes The Food Czar

June 16, 2010

We are all vegetarians, now. You're just a dummy who eats whatever they put in front of you. The real tell is in where they place the blame. It isn't the consumer, it's the food manufacturers and restaurants.

You'll pry my taste buds from my cold, dead tongue, or something like that.

As far as salt goes, the newly suggested reductions are possible, but they won’t happen overnight. “We need time for product reformulations, and this also gives people time to change their taste for sodium,” she says. “The problem is not the salt shaker, it is the food manufacturers and restaurants."

Specifically, the newly proposed guidelines suggest reducing sodium intake from 2,300 milligrams to 1,500 milligrams per day and stress a vegetarian-style diet rich in vegetables, cooked dry beans and peas, fruits, whole grains, nuts, and seeds with only moderate amounts of lean meats, poultry, and eggs.

"We have had the same dietary recommendations for 30 years and every year, we update the science but our diets are the same,” says Margo G. Wootan, PhD, the nutrition policy director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a consumer group based in Washington, D.C.

Now “we look beyond wagging fingers and saying ‘eat more fruits and vegetables’ and look at barriers and call for a national strategy to help people follow the recommendations,” she says.

“We need a fundamental shift in the food environment,” she tells WebMD. “The majority of choices at restaurants are unhealthy, but it needs to be the opposite where the majority of choices are healthy and there are a couple of splurge options for special occasions,” she says.

Comments:
  1. Mikey NTH says:

“You will do as you are told, eat your brussel sprouts, and like them,” said our national mommy.

2. MarkJ says:

I’ve got a better idea: elect lots of Republicans and Tea Party conservatives who will drive these parasitic, money-grubbing, food fascists out of Washington DC.
    Now that’s a “fundamental shift” we can all believe in.

3. CPT. Charles says:

[...but it needs to be the opposite where the majority of choices are healthy and there are a couple of splurge options for special occasions,” she says.]
    Hmmmmm.
    Like White House parties?

4. wombat-socho says:

Healthy for who? A diet high in starches and fruits would kill me, diabetic that I am. Of course, a few million dead diabetics would probably save them all kinds of money under 0bamacare. “Public interest”, my a$$.

5. mojo says:

Sorry, Doc, but you ain’t the boss of me.

6. anon says:

The very fact that a single tax payer dollar would go to such a ludicrous issue shows how bad things have become…the country is unable to tackle the big issues, but hey, we can wage war on salt and claim victory…oh how the mighty have fallen….
    The fact that there are probably millions of Americans who think its okay to force restaurants to serve only healthy food because Americans are too stupid to choose healthy food on their own is just another sign of the coming apocalypse.

7. Conservatives have to stop swiping from the sidelines or being content with just holding power. Remember, elections will change power surely over the years. You can’t depend on holding this madness back simply by being in power.
    Whats needed is a GUTTING of these regulatory monster agencies. a REAL gutting of power, and an EXPLICIT mandate, not broad-based ‘interpretation’ powers. Agency X will do Y and Y alone. No ancillary powers are granted. PERIOD.
    Repeat for FDA, EPA, FTC, FCC.
    DONT BE CONTENT WITH WINNING ELECTIONS.
    MUST.ROLL.BACK.POWER

8. ajacksonian says:

An Atkins diet type has done wonders for my type 1 diabetes: low carbs, high in protein and yes I do get in veggies, but in moderation. Keeping my HbA1c under 7.0 via monitoring before and two hours after meals, adjusting for carbs and yet allowing proteins has been a real winner not only for my overall management but for my cholesterol as well. Plus losing weight. My carb intake, per day, is about what most people get in a single meal, and yet I’m rarely hungry. Actually I am always low on sodium and no matter how much gets into my diet my low sodium levels don’t budge…
    Sorry, I don’t need Nannystate guidance on this. And you can take that pork chop out of my cold, dead hands, after I’ve expended all my ammo. My life, my health, my business and keep your nose out of it.
    I’ll add in the Dept. of Ag, Education and Energy to that laundry list of ‘must go’ federal big ideas.

9. seekeronos says:

Defund and Disband the Fed Reserve, the Dept. of Ed and the BATF and about 200 other federal agencies, and we’ll be well on the road to national recovery.

10. Teresa in Fort Worth, TX says:

It’s really funny – and totally LOST on the “experts” making these claims – that the rise in obesity and diabetes started about 30 years ago. That would be the SAME TIME that these recommendations came out (“We have had the same dietary recommendations for 30 years and every year, we update the science but our diets are the same,” says Margo G. Wootan, PhD, the nutrition policy director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a consumer group based in Washington, D.C.).
    Gee, you would think that these folks would get a clue – if our diets are “the same” now as they were 30 years ago, what makes them think that we are all of a sudden going to change our diets now? And actually, they AREN’T the same, because so many people have switched to a low-fat, low-sugar, high-grain diet. Could there possibly be a connection THERE? Nah…..
    Fat is good for you, folks. Low cholesterol is bad for you. Artificial sweeteners INCREASE the likelihood of developing Type II Diabetes by 67% (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19151203), with NO increased risk seen in people who eat regular sugar. I don’t know about you, but I have yet to see a really happy, healthy-looking vegetarian.
    I already sent my doctor a note to keep in my medical file, composed of a lot of different medical literature that backs all of that up, and absolving her of any blame if I keel over dead from a heart attack. She’s perfectly OK with that, so both of us are happy.

11. Barry Soetoro (D-King Of The World!) says:

You bitter-clingers will eat what I tell you to eat, when I tell you to eat it and you will STFU about it! Now bow your heads!!
    OsamaHusseinIslamObama 2012′
    (the terrorist-Uighur-ACORN-media choice)
    -It’s never too early to campaign-

12. Danby says:

These people evidently think most people get most of their meals from restaurants. Honestly, that’s the only way it could possibly make sense. Maybe a $200K/year bureaucrat can afford to eat that way, but normal americans can’t.

13. SDN says:

Obviously you’ve never heard of the “SUAEI clause” in the Constitution: Shut Up And Eat It!
    Hat tip to JMS and Babylon 5…