My Warning To The Establishment GOP

June 30, 2010

Yesterday was something of a turning point for me. I've begun un-subscribing from my GOP-related feeds and telling Hill-based sources to remove me from their email lists. I'm not going to stop blogging politics. But I'm done giving the benefit of the doubt to the GOP establishment.

I don't believe the insurgency from the Left the Democrat Party experienced served that party well. They may have elected a president, but they are going to be hurt badly in the fall. The problem is, I think they are going to be hurt because of themselves, and not because of anything the GOP has to offer.

Oh, they'll try to claim credit for it. But it will be another instance of voters opting for the other guy, or the lesser of two evils. A majority of GOP wins in the fall will be more because of Democrats, than Republicans – no matter how the GOP tries to spin it.

A big part of my thinking in coming to DC was to try and help to create a synergy between the Right on-line and the establishment GOP. I had hoped to forestall anything like an insurgency from the Right by finding common ground. What I didn't realize is that today's GOP is interested in no such thing. It can't hear anyone outside the Beltway echo chamber and isn't interested in listening to them even if they could.

And I don't believe today's Beltway entrenched GOP is going to bring about the kind of change America needs. The leadership is weak, wasteful, misguided and out of sync with the people. The signs are all there, from Dede Scozzafava, to Charlie Crist – and worse.

And even if they reclaim this, or that majority in the fall, we will most likely see the same old politics as usual that so frustrated the Right under Bush. You don't really believe they are going to repeal ObamaCare and tell millions of people expecting health insurance at taxpayer expense they can't have it, do you? That will be politically imprudent to our Beltway ensconced GOP.

Illegal immigration? Led by soon to be ex-border cop John McCain, assuming he's re-elected, they will be calling us racists and haters, again. They have to worry about that Hispanic vote, after all.

I'll still support candidates, but they will be fewer and further in between. And I will need to be convinced that, unlike the current establishment GOP, they mean what they say, and say what they mean. Today's Republican Party is broken and corrupt. And they are not my friend, any more than they are yours. They are only interested in themselves.

Only a Reagan-like insurgency that throws out the current leadership and many of these corrupt careerists in Washington can ultimately save the GOP. It isn't like it starts here today with me. But from now on, instead of trying to work with the establishment, I'd rather be part of any insurgency, successful, or not, because today's Republican Party is just barely more worth supporting than the Democrats on the other side.

Today's establishment GOP is a reasonable conservative's enemy. They are not our friends.

Comments:
  1. David says:

Very interesting post. The argument from the media focuses on the straw man of Democrat and Republican not the real issue of ideology. The party label is a mask, the real issue is Progressive big government versus constitutionalists limited government. To your point on immigration my post on May 8th, http://tuesdayafter.com/?p=172, lays out a simple plan many can rally around. A link in the post reveals why it will never come to pass. We need to start supporting ideology not party.

2. Steve says:

Had this conversation with someone last night. The Republicans will win, its what they do with that win that matters. The problem for Republicans and more importantly voters/citizens is that, unlike Obama, conservatives don’t hold on to their core principles.
    “id rather be a good one term President than a bad two term President”
    If we had that attitude from elected “conservatives” maybe the country wouldn’t be as screwed as it is. Well ………. if everywhere else but New Jersey, had conservatives like that, because Christie seems to have that same Obama attitude when it comes to his agenda.

3. Dick Nixon says:

Great post and kudo’s for your position.

4. steveegg says:

Feel free to borrow the “bipartisan Party-In-Government” (PIG for short) phrase.

5. zaugg says:

Major fail Steve. “conservatives don’t hold on to their core principles.” That is horsecrap. Core principles are the root of Conservatism. You can make that stereotype about RINO’s if you must but take that BS to the garbage can.
    There is a third option to your “I’d rather be a good one term President than a bad two term President” Obama is a bad one-term president.

6. zaugg says:

Dan- I am in your posse on this post. Business as usual by the Republicans ‘will not stand’. We are going to take our country back from the progressives, the RINOs, the populists and etc. or we are doomed to a fate like Zimbabwe.
    Smaller government, debt reduction, balanced budgets also know as adult fiscal responsibility have to be first. Only a rich country can afford the luxury of being the world’s traffic cop and environmental sugar daddy.

7. astonerii says:

That is why Riehl World View is above establishment sites such as redstate.

8. ReaganTMan says:

“Only a Reagan-like insurgency that throws out the current leadership and many of these corrupt careerists in Washington can ultimately save the GOP.”
    I agree with that.
    But, I am a Republican. I don’t believe leaving the party is the answer. I believe fixing my party requires having people who think like you infiltrate it and become it. Everything I believe the Republican party should be is out there in conservative America.
    First we take over the party and then we win the national election and govern. In order to be ready to govern, we should think of ourselves as the “new establishment” meaning that our conservative principles become engrained as part of the new/fixed Republican party.
    “Don’t get cynical. There are still millions like you who want it… voice crackles… want it to be a shining city on a hill.” – Ronald Reagan to disappointed supporters after losing the 1976 GOP nomination.

9. Sydney Carton says:

I suppose you can’t be faulted for coming late to this understanding; it happens to all of us. Otherwise, I’d be tempted to ask, “what took you so long to realize this”?

10. Welcome to the Dark Side, Dan. Though I think rather that you’ve been here for some time. Recall your going at Newt’s throat for his febrile, counter-productive support of Scuzzi over Hoffman: Your reasons were sound and clearly expressed.
    Cheers,
    Ran

11. Tully says:

Point of grammar, Dan: There’s a big difference between “lessor” and “lesser.” Though I can’t say your usage isn’t correct in context …
    “Miss W? Hell, I’m starting to miss JIMMY!”

12. hrh says:

Second look at Sarah Palin, Dan?
    Because inspiring – and working hard toward – a Reagan-like insurgency is exactly what she’s doing with all of her travel around the country, her speeches, her Facebooks, her tweets, her endorsements, her campaigning.
    See: The $200,000+ she helped raise for the CA university last Friday.
    See: Her speaking fee minus taxes that she donated back to PURE ministries for special needs families last night.
    Oh.
    And word just came out that the TransCanada/Exxon natural gas pipeline is moving forward and another step closer to reality.
    A giant leap toward energy independence, baby, energy independence.
    Because of Governor Palin’s AGIA (Alaska Gasline Inducement Act) legislation that passed 59 to 1. That’s bipartisanship.

13. Brad Schwartze says:

Dan, it sounds as though you’re coming to a conclusion about the last 6-10 years of politics that I came to. Namely, this: The most successful and most beloved Presidents in the GOP’s history were gentlemen (in every sense of the word) that were the LEAST partisan, ESTABLISHMENT Republican in their dealings.
    Think about it: Teddy Roosevelt busted trusts, Eisenhower gave us the Interstate Highway System, and Reagan worked hand-in-glove with Dems to help close down the Cold War. ALL OF WHICH were against a lot of what was considered establishment Republicanism for their times.
    These last 6-10 years should have shown all of us on the Right that Karl Rove is a horrid example by which to engage in the politics of the day. The last two, in particular, should also show us on the Right the promise of Sarah Palin, and her most decidely unestablishment way of thinking.

14. Brad Schwartze says:

“But even if the GOP won’t have her / the MSM succeed in Quayling her once and for all, she will still have done good work in the meanwhile.”
    Oh, the GOP will have Sarah Palin, if for no other reason that the consequences of saying no to her candidacy for President in ’12 (and it will be 2012, make no mistake of it) would be infinitely worse for EVERYONE even tangentially associated with the Right and the GOP.

15. unseen says:

Dan,
    been trying to tell you this for about a year now and the main reason I fully support Palin for 2012.
    I had this fight with idiots at Free republic. It does not matter what footsoldiers we send to DC. the McCain vs JD battle? It does not matter as long as the liberal GOPers continue to have the leadership positions. The wat Dc is set up the foot soldiers will always vote the party/leadership line when the chips are down. be it medicare part D, obamacare, cap and tax. It is the leadership that needs changed. That means we have to get rid of the Mitts, the McConells and the Boehner’s. The Jeb’s the Danials, the Ryans. sure they say some good things but thier votes and their record are one a different matter.
    We need leaders not only that say good things but their votes show they walk the walk. As of now Palin is the only person that has not been shown to be a two-faced GOPer.

16. ReaganTMan says:

I agree Brad. If everyone just got behind Sarah and pushed her to the top, the GOP insiders and the establishment wouldn’t be able to stop her. Right now, the doubters on our side are keeping open minds. So I give them credit and won’t bash conservatives who haven’t embraced Sarah as long as they are not bashing her. We can show how much balls we have and overcome the “Qualyzing” this time and stick it to the media by telling them eff you, we’re voting for her anyway. In fact, we should vote for her just to stick it to the MSM! I’d probably feel this way even if I wasn’t a staunch Sarah supporter. With no other good candidates to choose from, I’d say let her have at it.
    It’s only fair in a democracy that we have the primaries in 2012, though. Some people think she won’t have enough support to win, but I think she can continue to build on her hard work. Competing in the primaries could actually be a good thing for her because it will either be her opportunity to prove herself as the hardest working campaigner out there with the right message and show she’s deserving of the nomination (that will help her win over the non-PDS inflicted doubters, especially those on our side) or at worst it will be an opportunity for her to hone her national campaigning skills without the idiocy of a Steve Schmidt running things and come back again another time (although I would prefer the former to the latter).

17. Lee says:

This may be your best post in all the years I have been following your blog. I completely agree with you. The only thing you omitted was the need to remove the civil service protection that gives us so many useless bureaucrats who can never be fired, but who are right there ready to screw with you if you spill some gas filling your lawnmower.

18. seekeronos says:

The national GOP is as dead as the Whigs were in 1856.
    Support the Constitution Party, the clear choice for conservatives and Christians.

19. Barry Soetoro (D-King Of The World!) says:

Mommy,, make it STOOOOOP!!!
    OsamaHusseinIslamObama 2012′
    (the terrorist-Uighur-ACORN-media choice)
    -It’s never too early to campaign-

20. Lightwave says:

Agreed.
    The good news is that after the smoke clears and the establishment GOP is gone, the Dems will still be too busy fighting over which side lost them Congress and the White House in 2012.
    We’ll be ready then. The party that is emerging from the ashes of 2008 will claim the mantle of leadership.

21. jakee308 says:

Ding, ding, ding.
    What Dan Said.
    We have a winnah!!
    You took the thoughts right out of my head. Until Jan/Feb, I still had hopes for the Republicans; not anymore.
    They showed their true colors when they had the majority AND the Presidency from 1994 to 2008. What did they do? They wasted opportunity after opportunity. They continued KNOWN failed economic policies, cooperated wit and were coopted by the Democrats on certain financial rules and regs and they helped put us in the economic toilet we’re in now.
    After the Democrats won, they went back to their old and tired mantras and claimed they would do what they didn’t do before; i.e. THIS TIME. WE PROMISE. HONEST, WE’LL REALLY, REALLY CUT GOVERNMENT SPENDING AND DECREASE TAXES. HONEST, WE WILL. JUST ELECT US ONE MORE TIME.
    {spit}
    A pox on all their houses and senates.

22. leilani says:

I agree generally with what you’ve said, but it’s inaccurate to hang Dede Scozzafava around the necks of the inside the beltway crowd – she was actually selected by a group of 12 local GOP county chairs with no input from DC & they got stuck with her as much as the voters in that district were.
    Which leads us back to square one: the GOP national leadership can’t change until it gets changed at local precinct & county levels. An organization is only as good as its grass roots & if the only people willing to run for those positions are of the dem-lite or even the full-monty dem persuasion like DeDe & the folks who promoted her, then NOTHING will change because the dirty little secret is that THEY are the ones who cumulatively run the show.
    We can spend all of our lives complaining online about how out of touch with us the guys in DC are, but unless we do more than complain online & actually infiltrate the system from the ground up OFFline, the Beltway crowd is only going to reflect the ideological preferences of the people who win those positions.
    In fact, that’s what the higher-ups are supposed to do because representing the lower-downs is their job – that’s how large organizations work in the real world.
    If conservatives keep letting the dem-lites win by default because nobody else is challenging candidates at the bottom margins, then the upper eschalons have no other choice but to assume that’s what the rank & file prefer, I don’t care how many individual righty blogs are firing off the outrage everyday.
    In order to change the top, we’ve gotta change the bottom by personally going in ourselves with pickaxes & fumigants, county by county from coast to coast, because all the diddling around at the upper margins through social media et al will still never get us the reform we want or need.

23. Mega-dittoes, Dan.
    The wishy-washy McCains and Gingriches just won’t go away. We need principles, not politicking. The Scozzafava debacle (she WAS endorsed by Gingrich) should have been a wake-up call, but we still are faced with the possibility of Charlie Crist backstabbing the GOP and somehow becoming a senator. The establishment Republicans who backed Crist contributed to this.
    All this disorganization and dissent makes me think that maybe Michael Steele should step down. He seems to be an effective communicator, but I’m not sure he sees the big picture.

24. gary gulrud says:

Alright, this shows promise, Dan. I’ll dig out my ice pick and order a dumpster drop. Whaddya say?

25. Dave in Alaska says:

Now Dan on this we agree, this appears to be nothing more than your run of the mill, hand shaking, back slapping, baby kissing bunch that is at the head of the GOP in Washington…
    ..My own Senator quit answering my e-mails until the conservatives in Alaska put up someone to run against her…now the e-mails are election hype…egads…
    ..now she is running a full out smear on the guy…
    ..I cannot tell the difference between these parties anymore..

26. David R. Graham says:

Good!

27. PA says:

I will simply vote against incumbents whichever party they are, and keep doing so. They all need to become terrified of the voter’s wrath and willingness to unseat the whole rotten bunch wholesale, and REPEATEDLY, until such time as a batch appears who shows some sense.

28. ReaganTMan says:

Dave in Alaska, Murkowski is a great example of what’s wrong with the party. She’s a party insider. She’s gotten drunk on the Potomac water. We need Tea partiers, outside the box thinkers who are going to understand it’s not about pork and keeping the good ole boys happy, but rather about keeping the people free and prosperous.
    We wouldn’t be talking about party insiders if we were in power within the GOP and keeping the party off the RINO trail on the Constitutional trail. Joe Miller is one of us who is infiltrating. We have to support that.

29. Look, it’s a big tent party, and that’s the way it is. There is no perfect world, and you’re going to have to accept that the party has moderates in it. That means you need to work hard to put in place a lot of conservatives and libertarians to balance out those moderates, but I’d rather have them in the party and be the party in power, then have them out of the party and be out of power. That doesn’t mean I support moderates- it just means I don’t waste breath ranting against them like some sort of child. Accept them, move on, and make your enemies not within the GOP, but outside of it.

30. Henry says:

Dan, welcome to the club. The GOP establishment is a total loss. They, including McCain, need to go away. We’ve had it to HERE with them.

31. Tennwriter says:

Teacher,
    Its a conservative party. Moderates are welcome to bring the parts of themselves that are conservative. Just like you wouldn’t wear a football jersey to a wedding, so you shouldn’t bring RINOism to a conservative party.
    We’re glad to have moderates inside the tent, and even RINOs. They just can’t have control of the steering wheel and drive it off the cliff like they did in 2006 and 2008.

32. Bob says:

This is another reason we need “None of the Above” on every ballot, for every position — federal, state, and local. Why should we always have to choose between the lesser of two evils? Better no representative than an entitlement-minded representative.

33. Ralph says:

Welcome to the trenches. Hopefully not all GOP primary voters will require a personal insult from the GOP establishment to realize what they are all about.

34. SenatorMark4 says:

So totally on point! I walked a resolution from the Precinct Convention in Burnet County Texas, through the County convention. I politicked it the entire time sending out emails to the Texas State Republican Executive Committee(SREC) for weeks and got to the convention in Dallas where EVERYBODY knew who I was…but…NO subcommittee had been tasked to look at my resolution. Basically, government accountability requires tracking outlays…1099-GOV for all the recipients of “income, redistributed” (government parlance). This totally avoiding the grassroots should be illegal. I had to ask the Rules Committee chairman to ASSIGN my resolution to a subcommittee so I could: signup, speak 3 minutes, and be told they’d have the vote on it later that night. I did speak at one committee (there’s no limite to signups to speak to subcommittees) where they had a vote and knocked it down. The idea made friends and it was introduced in front of the entire Rules committee with probably 100 spectators watching as it was: introduced, called for comment (gavel close 3 seconds), vote yea/nea (10 seconds)..done. Grate.
    There is OBVIOUSLY something that we don’t understand about out current leadership and they should be tossed! Hundreds of people talked to me in the halls saying they liked the idea. Oh well.

35. mitydk says:

Dan,
    “I don’t believe the insurgency from the Left the Democrat Party experienced served that party well. They may have elected a president, but they are going to be hurt badly in the fall.”
    What do you mean? Are you obliquely comparing the conservative wing of the Republican party to the hard left progressives of the Democrat party?
    Are you saying that if the conservative republicans took over the party and kicked out the establishment GOP that would be a short term gain but a long term loss, like it looks to be shaping up to be for the marxist/progressive wing of the Democrats?
    I’m not sure what you are suggesting. You just seem pissed off to discover that the establishment GOP guys aren’t really that interested in smaller government, lower spending, securing the borders, repealing obamacare, or other associated “tea-party” issues.
    I guess better late to the party than never.
    Obama beating Hillary was a disaster for both the Democrat party and the American people in the short run. In the long run it will be good because it has highlighted how totally shitty the marxist/liberal/progressive confiscatory corruptocracy ideology of big government is with the total fail of the Obama administration and all his infantile cronies.
    A conservative/tea-party candidate victory over establishment GOP hacks like McCain or other big government Republicans would be great for America in both the short run and the long run. In the short run for breaking up the TAX-CUT and SPEND Republican leadership cabal and in the long run for scaling back big government to limited principles and more 10th amendment based original intent constitutional style governance which is the only hope for America’s future.
    The only difference between the establishment GOP and the Democrats is that the Dems are tax and spend, eGOP is taxcut and spend. Both of them are proponents of leviathan Federal government, which is killing America.
    Cheers

36. Rich Vail says:

Dan, I agree with your post completely…
    Remember November, vote ALL the bastards out.

37. yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
    More Chris Christie please.

38. Hatless Hessian says:

Dan, I called Senator Grassley’s office yesterday about the news on Kagan’s manipulation and materially false statements in the Nebraska Partial Birth Abortion law that was taken to SCOTUS. Shockingly, Grassley’s office claimed they “knew nothing about such concerns about the nominee” and worse yet, promised to give Kagal a “fair and impartial hearing.”
    Rolling over and playing dead is a strange strategy. Might as well be dead, and I guarantee Conservative voters can help ensure that. So I’m with you. Obama was elected not due to any surge by the Left toward an utterly incompetent, unaccomplished Void, but rather a lack of confidence of a majority of the people of this country in the fat-cat, self-enriching, out-of-touch Republican institution.
    McCain, Grassley, Graham and all their ilk should get the hell out of the way if they can’t stomach the tough fighting that is necessitated by the Progressive’s extreme escalation.

39. James says:

Dan is moving in the right direction. However, he has not yet figured out the biggest problem of them all : That the GOP supports feminism to the same degree as the left does.
    Most Republicans will support any and all socialism that can be packaged as ‘chivalry’, the opponents of which are ‘misogynists’. A Republican would rather die than be called a ‘misogynist’, and Republicans are sufficiently ignorant about women that they think feminists are fair, reasonable, and concerned with equality (in reality, they are a brutal supremacist ideology).
    Steve Forbes, for example, is a strident pedestalizing feminist.
    Read this :
    Democrats and Republicans unite to form Misandry Party.

40. Rich Vail says:

I also added you to my blog roll.
    Rich

41. wuzrobbd says:

Welcome to the outer darkness with the rest of us. The view from here is startlingly clear, no?
    agape,
    robb

42. Jim Oz says:

Republicans are the Big Government seat warmers. It’s not fair to call them RINOs. They are who they are. Last year during the summer Tea Party town halls, John Boehner jetted off with a bunch of Congressional cronies to Europe for a luxurious vacation on the taxpayers’ dime. And we peons are supposed to be thrilled that he will be Speaker? ObamaCare will not be repealed, because there are hundreds of ‘no show’ political patronage jobs in any big government program, that is irresistable to politicians. Got to take care of the campaign supporters. The ONLY answer is to shrink the size of the Federal Government, and you won’t get that from either established party. The Republican Revolution of 1994 lasted exactly 4 years, and then the ‘Real Republicans’ lined up at the pig trough. It took them that long to get rid of the honest conservatives, like Matt Salmon (AZ), et al. I’m surprised that Tom Coburn has lasted as long as he has in the Senate. BTW, when it was discovered that Clinton was selling secret missile technology to China in exchange for campaign contributions, the story was quickly atifled. Mitch McConnell was the Senate Campaign Committee Chairman then for the GOP. How much Chinese money was he trying to launder? Nothng to see here, move along… move along.

43. Pat says:

The GOP in Ohio spent a million bucks to defeat a Tea Party candidate. We’re long done supporting the GOP. We support individual candidates. By some strange coincidence, Governor Palin supports many of the candidates we choose to support, like Col. Allen West.

44. Beck says:

I salute you.

45. Subotai Bahadur says:

They have learned nothing from Spector, Crist, or any of their failed endorsements of pseudo-Republicans. Senator John Cornyn, chairman of the NRSCC has taken sides in another primary.
    Here in Colorado; Ken Buck swept the Republican State Convention. He is a staunch Conservative and has the backing of the TEA Party movement. Running against him was Gale Norton. Seeing that she had absolutely zero chance of making the Primary ballot at the Convention, she petitioned on. She is a Washington insider by career choice. She had ties to Jack Abramoff, and was investigated for corruption in connection with the awarding leases to Royal Shell while she was Secretary of the Interior. After leaving the Secretary of the Interior position, she was a supporter of Colo. Governor Bill Owens, who epitomized the concept of RINO. Guess which candidate the NRSCC and Senator Cornyn is supporting?
    The Institutional Republican Party is part of the enemy. There being no such thing as a moderate or conservative Democrat; they all are the enemy. But we have to fight just as hard against the Republican leadership.
    Subotai Bahadur

46. Brian says:

My long-time hope has been that the Democratic Party would tip off the far left end of the spectrum and start hemorrhaging members, permitting a new, true conservative party to emerge on the right. The GOP would then be the foil from the left of this new party.

47. 4rc says:

I agree with this post. I’m sick and tired of the establishment GOP. I’m now hearing rumors that they may not want to repeal obamacare or making it difficult for those who are trying to push it. The GOP leadership is not even leading on this issue. Sarah Palin is the ONLY one out there doing the rallying and speaking against Obama. Wheres the rest of the GOP leadership for gawd sacks
    Who were the 10 GOP county chair that picked Scozzafava?!?!?! How they get that position? Who paid their salaries? They need to be fired!

48. Becky says:

Agree. We may need to vote the least bad alternative GOP candidates in in November if only because they have to pretend to answer to their consituents and as such will weaken the Pelosi/Reid cluster fiasco. The far left only offers their constituents the bone of hating and blaming the right for all that is wrong in this world. Once elected, their voters give them a pass on anything bad they do because it was never about values or issues but rather about allowing the dem voters to accept inaction by finding someone “ELSE” to blame. At least the GOP players will get no such pass from voters on either side of the isle. Good riddance, don’t let the screen door hit ya.
    That said, we need to break the stranglehold of power that the Dems currently have with control over all the branches of government and the media. So we will need to leave some of the moldy oldies in place for now and then pick them off one by one as the new conservative movement exposes the entrenched GOP’s blatant unwillingness to represent their constituents rather than themselves.
    So take note entrenched GOP. You are no longer “entrenched”.

49. Vader says:

You have forgotten Reagan’s 11th Commandment, haven’t you?
    Which was: Never attack another Republican. We need them all.

50. Mike H. says:

What if we elect the GOP and then treat them as we are treating the current administration. Having a new crew of people is fine but they all succumb in time. We need to be on their case to keep them honest.

51. Susan Watts says:

Vijay Kumar for Congress: http://www.kumarforcongress.com/
    Politically incorrect, and wonderful man.

52. Michael says:

+1 The party of Reagan died after Newt squandered the 90’s moment. For all of Bush’s foreign policy courage, he forgot “it’s the economy stupid”.
    I’m throwing my lot with what comes next – hopefully a Citizen Legislature.

53. I’m utterly thrilled that you have seen the light regarding the GOP Dan. I’m not sure how old you are, but I came of age in the era of Reagan, so I too held out hope for the Republican Party for a very long time. It took me years to understand why there wasn’t fifty more Reagans standing in line waiting to take his place instead of the Bushes and their ilk. It was very hard accepting the truth about the GOP, that they were institutionally oriented to a political vision in which individual freedom was secondary to other interests. I know it was hard for you too, Dan. But time’s a wastin.’
    The GOP has been dead since at least the late nineties. Currently they have no ideas, no candidates, no nothing. They have nothing that makes them worth “taking over from the inside” or otherwise parting out; all of the seals leak, all the bearings are worn to nothing. They have nothing we can use to return our government to it’s founding principle of individual liberty. WE NEED A NEW POLITICAL PARTY.
    Notice I didn’t say “third” party, but rather a NEW first party. This can be done because the truth is the Democrats are as spent as the Republicans. We need to replace one of them as contenders with a party based on personal liberty, economic liberty, and a Jacksonian attitude toward defending liberty (the last being one of the reasons the Libertarians don’t cut the mustard).

54. Brett Rogers says:

Vader said, “You have forgotten Reagan’s 11th Commandment, haven’t you? Which was: ‘Never attack another Republican.’ We need them all.”
    Um, sure. We need all Republicans, like Iowa’s Chuck Grassley, who voted for the Democrat Financial Reform bill. Somewhere in the ranks of the uber-stellar GOP is always some Big Government Christian/Moderate who makes the liberal agenda just possible.
    Less “What Would Jesus Do” in the halls of Congress and more “What Would Jefferson Do.” That way, we don’t bankrupt our kids.

55. Dan Riehl says:

“Are you saying that if the conservative republicans took over the party and kicked out the establishment GOP that would be a short term gain but a long term loss,”
    No, I didn’t mean that. I had hoped there was enough Left in the establishment to genuinely correct itself, and shift at least a bit more Right. I no longer think that, as it is, it is too far gone.
    I also didn’t say I am leaving the GOP. Just because I no longer trust the establishment line on anything, doesn’t mean I’ve gone Dem.
    I also didn’t violate Reagan’s commandment. He too had to break with the Nixonian, or squish, wing of the party. All I am doing is re-invigorating that sentiment myself.

56. Carl Hardwick says:

>Posted by: Vader | Thursday, July 01, 2010 at 12:44 AM
    >”Only a Reagan-like insurgency that throws out the current leadership and many of these corrupt careerists in Washington can ultimately save the GOP.”
    >You have forgotten Reagan’s 11th Commandment, haven’t you?
    >Which was: Never attack another Republican. We need them all.
    I agree with Vader. Working with all Republicans worked for Reagan, it can work for us today.
    The times have become desperate, leftists have taken over public schools, colleges and universities, the MSM, TV and Hollywood. We don’t have the luxury of demanding political purity. It’s time for all hands on deck.
    I’ll support Republicans, even RINOs, if they’ll repeal Obamacare and roll back federal and state spending. Scott Brown is pro abortion, but he’s also in favor of Obamacare repeal and fiscal sanity. That’s good enough for me.
    Never forget that Jack Ryan had to drop out of the Illinois Republican senate primary because sealed divorce papers were ordered by the court to be opened, over the objections of both Ryan and his wife, Jeri Ryan. Unproven allegations were revealed and Ryan had to drop out. Conservatives demanded a candidate with unblemished morals, even though the he was married and nothing actually happened. Keyes was parachuted into the state and the GOP lost.
    Sounds about right for unyielding and demanding Republicans. We demand candidates of higher quality.
    But do you know what the price was? Guess who won the senate seat that year. Obama!
    Was the demand for ideological and moral quality worth that price? I used to think so, but no longer.
    We need conservatives in office, even though they may not be perfect.
    The current GOP establishment isn’t great, but relative to Obama, they’re fine by me.

57. Angus says:

Very bold — declaring that you are against corrupt Washington insiders. Really going out on a ledge with this one, aren’t you? About as daring as being against “waste” or violent crime.

58. Georgiaboy61 says:

Mr. Riehl:
    “What I didn’t realize is that today’s GOP is interested in no such thing. It can’t hear anyone outside the Beltway echo chamber and isn’t interested in listening to them even if they could” and “Today’s Republican Party is broken and corrupt. And they are not my friend, any more than they are yours. They are only interested in themselves.”
    Correct; you have reached the same conclusion I have – that America has only a de jure two-party system. We have Washington’s version of the “skins and shirts,” two teams, one labeled blue, the other red, who appear to argue and stand for very different things. However, the reality is very different. De facto, we have a one-party system, wherein the “opponents” go into the backroom, and stick the knife between our ribs. Real differences exist between conservatives and liberal-leftists, but these are in essence a red herring designed to distract us from the biggest divide in American life and politics – that between the elites, the powerful insiders who run things, and the rest of us, the common folk who make up this nation. Administrations come and go; individual pols come and go, but the insiders remain. They are praying that we the people will not wake up and take back our country from them. They are frightened that we will discover the horrible truth – that they do not know how to govern, that they do not know how to solve problems (indeed they create them or make them worse), and that more-often-than-not, the leviathan of big government hurts the people it is supposed to serve.
    Naysayers – including many prominent conservatives – say that America’s two-party system is working fine, but we know the truth. Both the GOP and the Democrats are in a race to the bottom. We need honest alternatives badly, and the business-as-usual parties show no sign of providing them. Voters know that the choice between two equally-corrupt parties is no choice at all, when either or both would sell you out the moment you turn your back. If not a genuine third party to keep the other two at least somewhat honest, the voters deserve a “none of the above” choice on all ballots, which if it got a plurality of votes, would automatically vacate the ticket and force a new election with new candidates until a candidate inspires enough confidence in the voters to win outright. We the people also must face the fact that many, if not most, of our public institutions are broken. They are not only insolvent, but ineffective, obsolete and incapable of being reformed to meet the challenges of the 21st century. From the tax system to the post office, to the military, to federal intelligence agencies, and on down the line – our institutions fail to do the jobs for which the public pays them. Worse yet, many agencies and their leaders remain blind to their staggering ineffectiveness, and smugly go about their business as if nothing need be changed. To use John Robb’s terminology, our state is being hollowed out from within, leaving only a shell for appearances, while global elites steal the nation our forefathers struggled so hard to build for us. Events are rapidly coming to a head; America is headed directly for a day of financial reckoning; we are broke but refuse to change our ways. The elites, who are busy looting the temple, just want time to finish the job and make a clean getaway before being discovered. We used to know how to handle such thieves in this country; we put them in stocks in the town square, or tarred-and-feathered them. If that didn’t work, a lenghty prison sentence at hard labor or the hangman’s rope. Draconian medicine? You bet – but that is what it may take to stop the runaway train that is our govt. from careening over the precipice and into the depths below. We are approaching system failure, a tipping point when things could head south very rapidly and badly. We’ll be lucky to survive intact or with a few bruises. Things might get ugly in ways few of us are old enough to remember. I hope and pray I am wrong, and that I am only a cynical, middle-aged man.
    There are few glimmers of hope in people like Jan Brewer, who hold out the faint promise that the GOP will come to its senses. The hour is late, and November is fast-approaching. There isn’t much time for the GOP to grow into the heavy leadership duties and very hard choices that await it. Get cracking!

59. Thomas Hazlewood says:

Dan, In truth, you may be coming late to the party! Why do think the GOP has had such problems raising contributions from the rank-and-file? A lot of folks, like me, have already decided that we were merely being mulcted for cash so they could go back to ignoring us, after they were elected.
    Now, looking at the Crist leading in Fla. and McCain leading in AZ, it seems we’re being undermined by our own, the public. There are but a handful in Congress who promote sane policy and they are not the leading pols. Our ‘leaders’ are the same folks who led the GOP to its present diminished position. Electing/Re-electing the same types does not seem to be the path of correction.
    But, I understand your frustrations, I really do.

60. Georgiaboy61 says:

Steve wrote, “I’d rather be a good one term President than a bad two term President” and “If we had that attitude from elected ‘conservatives’ maybe the country wouldn’t be as screwed as it is. Well ………. if everywhere else but New Jersey, had conservatives like that, because Christie seems to have that same Obama attitude when it comes to his agenda.”
    Steve, I couldn’t agree more. The GOP are infected with a terminal case of timidity at a time when bold, confident action is needed. The funny thing almost no one seems to realize is that the elections will take care of themselves if your party/candidate leads well and gets down to the people’s business, solving problems and returning us to the values upon which our nation was founded. A classic case of misplaced priorities. I loathe Obama, but have to hand to the man – he knows exactly what he wants and what his priorities are. He apparently feels a sense of urgency (does he know something we do not?), too bad most of the GOP does not.
    How many times do voters have to send them to the woodshed before they wise up? I hope that they acquire wisdom or some semblence of it soon, the leftist radicals are rapidly dismantling our country right before our eyes.

61. Georgiaboy61 says:

Reagantman wrote, “But, I am a Republican. I don’t believe leaving the party is the answer.” I am Republican also, but very, very dissatisfied over what passes for conservatism these days within the GOP establishment. Leaving the party may not be the answer, but unless some “third-way” movement like the Tea Party can break the GOP establishment and their status quo ways, we are doomed to more of the same as we’ve been getting. Our only power as voters is the ability to walk out the door, so to speak, and pull the lever for the other fellow. If the GOP establishment ceases to fear that outcome, they won’t come to heel. The problem, IMHO, as I alluded to in my earlier post, is that judged on results and not sound bites, the Dems and the GOP really haven’t performed all that differently on problems like the budget deficit, economic growth, the border and illegal immigration, fiscal responsibility, the culture wars, and other issues. As Larry Elder, a libertarian, says, “About a dime’s worth of difference” between the two parties where the rubber meets the road. At the state and local level, maybe things are different, but at the federal level, I stand by my characterization of the problem 100%.
    Wonderful remarks all, many thanks…

62. John Thacker says:

“Illegal immigration?”
    I would do the same thing as Reagan on illegal immigration. As would Chris Cristie of course, too. ( http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/39208.html )
    Those who want to crack down on illegal immigration are just friends of Big Government. I see you as no different from the other socialists and Democrats. I’m tired of these conservatives-in-name-only who pretend to care about Big Government, but really just want to seize the power of Big Government and use it in their preferred way.

63. Georgiaboy61 says:

Peter Jackson wrote, “Notice I didn’t say “third” party, but rather a NEW first party. This can be done because the truth is the Democrats are as spent as the Republicans. We need to replace one of them as contenders with a party based on personal liberty, economic liberty, and a Jacksonian attitude toward defending liberty (the last being one of the reasons the Libertarians don’t cut the mustard)”
    Let me add another reason the libertarians don’t cut it: many do not favor control of our borders or immigration generally.
    BTW, wonderfully stated and you hit the point I missed. Better to replace the corrupt and spent shell of the GOP with something newer and better. Third party would risk dividing convservative voters at a time when they need to be united. But as far as “blowing up” the existing GOP, and starting over – count me in! For that matter, why stop there? We need a legitimate opposition party, and the Democrats haven’t been one since they were co-oopted by the hard left in the 1970s and early 1980s.

64. Richard says:

Nice to see that you’ve finally figured this out, but I’d say you’re about 20 years too late to the party. The signs were all there 20 years ago for anyone who was paying attention. Its been a long, slow, slog through the marshes since then as we sink further into the muck. But its nice to see that eventually people wake up from their sleepwalking and start realizing that its people not parties that matter.

65. Dan Riehl says:

“you may be coming late to the party”
    Actually, I’ve understood well that the party was going on. What I actually said is, I had hoped for a broader bridge between the two sides so we could be more united. Don’t get me wrong. The GOP must win big in 2010 to stop the statists. But our work will not be done, then. There will be much more to do to take the GOP back for the people. If anything, the establishment GOP will cause us to not win as big as we all should in November. That cannot be allowed to continue to 2012.
    Unite and elect the best Repubs for now, fight where we can. Just don’t think the battle will be over in Nov, because it won’t.

66. davidt says:

Kudos on the excellent post, Mr. Riehl.
    Primaries are where the insurgency is taking place this midterm cycle, and will again in 2012.
    Palin is doing a great job of leading the way. Don’t let the Democrat Media tell you otherwise.

67. happyfeet says:

well said Mr. Riehl you’re bang-on right and furthermore I think Palin’s endorsement of McCain was as jumpy a moment with respect to a shark as there as ever been in American politics.

68. Chuck Pelto says:

TO: Vader
    RE: Nope
    You have forgotten Reagan’s 11th Commandment, haven’t you? — Vader
    He hasn’t.
    Why?
    Because these AREN’T ‘Republicans’. Not anymore.
    Regards,
    Chuck(le)
    [A tree is known by its fruit. -- Some Wag, around 2000 years ago]

69. higgins1990 says:

McCain, Graham, Lindsey, Snowe, Collins, Steele, Rove…barf.

70. lonetown says:

As an independent I made many votes, actually most votes for the least repugnant candidate, mostly Republican. They were wasted votes.
    Where are the citizen office seekers who are in it for the country?
    Why is all we get are these venal, feckless and lets face it, stupid dirtbags?

71. Chuck Pelto says:

TO: Vader
    RE: Well….
    “You have forgotten Reagan’s 11th Commandment, haven’t you?” — Vader
    I don’t think that has been forgotten. And that in this situation, it doesn’t apply.
    Why?
    Because these people are not ‘Republicans’. At least not anything like the Republicans of Lincoln’s day.
    Regards,
    Chuck(le)
    [A tree is known by it's fruit. -- Some Wag, around 2000 years ago]

72. Jabba the Tutt says:

To Conservative Teacher: “Look, it’s a big tent party, and that’s the way it is.”
    Not in DC it isn’t. And that’s Dan’s point. The vast majority of GOP voters are conservatives, libertarians and traditionalists. The GOP establishment are RINO socialists. The RINOs are all chiefs and no indians. They have no votes. They have no voters. They run Obama-like phony campaigns as conservatives to win elections, then join with the socialists in DC. If Arizona GOP voters nominate McCain, you can write off the country. Just buy gold, stock food and ammo and prepare.

73. Chuck Pelto says:

TO: Dan Riehl
    RE: [OT] Did Anyone….
    ….ever tell you that this system has SERIOUS issues with consistency?
    I mean in terms of posting comments in a manner similar with most other systems? Systems where you don’t have to go to another page in order to see MORE comments?
    Regards,
    Chuck(le)
    [Consistency is the hobgoblin of good user interface.]

74. JadedByPolitics says:

I think the majority in the House will be CONSERVATIVE, I would like to see ALL the freshman vote for someone other then Boehner for Speaker and I think some of the “old timers” need to be REMOVED from their cherry picked seats in the House as well. That to me will be the will of the people! The Republican’s getting elected though will be because of what they are running on (the new one’s) however the old one’s you would be correct about.
    The next two election cycles are as much about getting rid of the OLD guard as it is about getting rid of the Socialist Democrats!

75. egoist says:

Problem is more fundamental than the political level, and won’t be solved until enough people come to the conclusion that all welfare is a death trap for all; and that the altruism that underlies it is a completely flawed ethic. The GOP is no less supportive of welfare than the left, they just have their tweaks. When I see them having common ground with anti-carbon creatures of the left; when they even hint they could support an anti-individual rights Kagan (“yes, we could ban books” – or something like that), I know I have zero in common with these primates. They all must go.

76. M. Simon says:

Hayek explains it:
    Short version. Since conservatives have no direction the only tactic they have is to slow things down. Conserve. The libertarian wing (mostly on line) has a direction. A positive message. Some where to go instead of just holing back the tide.

77. Chuck Pelto says:

TO: M. Simon
    RE: Yeah….
    “The libertarian wing (mostly on line) has a direction. A positive message. Some where to go….” — M. Simon
    ….like straight to ‘Hell on Earth’. That’s somekinda place ‘to go’. And taking the rest of US with them on the ride.
    But that’s another story.
    RE: A ‘Positive’ Message….
    ….for what comes out of the demise of this form of Republicanism, would be getting US back to personal liberties and prosperity. Instead of the continuing road to a Jerry Pournelle reality of the Co-Dominion where the masses of unemployed are ruled over by an elite that controls them with cheap drugs. [Note: And what's with this back-door approach to legalizing marijuana for 'medical' purposes? Denver now has a chain of 'dispensaries' on Colfax. Who new so many people were 'hurting'? Must be the despair....]
    Regards,
    Chuck(le)
    [The Truth will out.....]

78. ajacksonian says:

There is another pathway out of fiscal mess in America, of how to take out a corrupt federally backed institution and the grounds to argue on that point that part of the Democratic Party that walked out on it. It is a surprising concept to many that you do NOT have to continually grow government, that you CAN give a clear and sound Constitutional basis for removing parts of government grown odious. Yet we do not teach this to our children, we do not read it ourselves and so we miss the opportunity of the lessons taught by those who came before us. Not many Presidents could or can encapsulate the whole working of our Nation’s finances into a compact form easy to read and understand: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/ajveto01.asp
    When you walk away from the doctrinaire parties, those that meld into each other on so many levels to represent so few, it becomes necessary to figure out exactly what you do believe in and state it. Why did we emasculate representative democracy in 1911? Wherefore does the power of imposed regulation come from while the actual verbiage makes regulation a cross-State agreement from the beginning, not imposed from the top at the start? How did we do so well, for so long, to the benefit of so many with so little government? And why is it good to have ‘power brokers’ inside government work with powerful establishments outside of government to then foist legislation upon the people? Just what are the differences between natural rights, civil rights and legal rights? What is a Nation State and why are they necessary not from a top-down imposition stand-point that we get today, but a bottom-upward stand-point as it actually is?
    None of these can be given quick’n’easy answers, and when you get a glib response, you get an uncaring authoritarian speaking it who has no love of liberty, individual rights or you.
    Those that concentrate solely on the 20th century then go on to overlook what came before that and how that worked before it was intruded upon by those concepts that would lead to so much tyranny, so much blood and always, without fail, come under the banner of ‘doing good’ to help the ‘common man’ while enriching and enshrining the power hungry in politics and outside of it to no good end. One can admire a man like Teddy Roosevelt for his character, but his political philosophy sucked like an electrolux…and I get that from reading his own words in his autobiography, not from some lovely re-interpreter and latter-day TR acolyte’s say-so on what he did that was good. Even HE admitted he messed up more than once, yet try to find a GOP politician who does NOT try to make-out like they are a saint, only to fall with feet of clay time and again.
    Stepping away from backing the system as it is makes a great first step.
    The second is clearly describing what it is you want to see, why that is important, backing that and then implementing it in your outlook which comes from that.
    The third is to keep an open-mind, reach out to those who are civil in disagreement and may have variations on what they see, but can actually be worked with towards common goals. Our greatest flexibility as a people is to do that, share the common Nation and common support while not draining it with an over-burdened infrastructure that represses us. When you need government to ‘make things right’ you then become beholden to it in that area… instead of taking care of it, yourself. Yet we agree as The People to do just that – take care of things on our own and keep limited tools limited so we do not suppress each other with them.
    To make something better than the current leadership, or even the current enshrined parties of self-interest for the elite power sturcture, you must DO something better and MEAN IT when you do it.
    Do as you say.
    Say what you mean.
    Mean what you do.

79. Doc Merlin says:

Regan’s insurgents didn’t end up staying in power. The old Nixon guys took back over after Regan left, we need more staying power.

80. Terrye says:

Only a Reagan like insurgency will make a difference? Please… Reagan was part of the GOP establishment. I think that a lot of people out there who are complaining about everything from immigration to spending money have totally over looked the fact that the people did not consider immigration an issue until the last couple of years and they obviously did not give a damn about spending, If they did care Obama, Pelosi and Reid would not be running the country. And say what you will about the GOP establishment, they would not bankrupt the whole damn country. Besides, why should I trust some guy who swears he is new and wonderful and special..after all, that is how we got Obama.

81. dianneb says:

i started this rant in 2006 when all rnc mailings refused to even broach the subject of illegal immigration. the rest of the party faithful were going nuts about it – but party machinery refused to even acknowledge our concerns. no renewal of rnc membership – no money to the rnc, etc. now – the ultimate insult – when the party telemarketers call for donations – they have caller id blocked!!! and no way to email the party website. i hate to say it – sounds so trite – i didn’t leave the party – the party ignored me. i will give to individual candidates – but no money to the party ever again……

82. Dan Riehl says:

Chuck – it’s Typepad. The other option is new at top. That brought even more complaints. Hot Air and others have the same set up btw. Only so many comments per page – fifty here.

83. Dobby says:

Vote out every Republican and Democrat that voted for TARP. They didn’t listen to the people. They voted for the bankers.

84. TMLutas says:

I just got voted in as the first chairman for my county’s Republican Liberty Caucus this summer (Lake County, Indiana). We got formally approved last week. I took the job because I wanted to be able to identify the dead branches in the party and find better precinct committeemen and leaders to staff the party, and better candidates to run. This is not attacking Republicans, but working internally, where it is appropriate to upgrade the party.
    One method of upgrade is education. I attended a town meeting last night where their slogan is “Be Smart, vote Republican” which is fine but when I asked what makes voting Republican being smart they had no answer. That’s not another faction. That’s tribal Republicanism.
    Tribal Republicans are not automatically the enemy of ideologically committed conservatives and libertarians but you can make them so if you go at the party infrastructure with a dull ax. I’d rather recruit them to our side by educating them. I believe that this would actually be a proper GOP insurgency that respected the 11th commandment. More importantly I think it would work and work faster than a lot of the alternative proposals.
    Now if a GOP member actively rejects small government solutions, actively advocates socialist ideas, is smoked out as an ideological leftist, at that point it’s time to find somebody to contest that seat. The small government republican should win at that point. But unless you smoke them out personally, they’re going to duck and weave and try to invoke the 11th commandment inappropriately.
    You have to lay the groundwork, and that’s best done from inside the party.

85. Peter says:

This bunch isn’t good enough to shine Reagan’s shoes. Emasculated girlie men. GOP women like Palin and Bachmann have more stones than Boehner, McConnell, et al.

86. sookie says:

>> Today’s establishment GOP is a reasonable conservative’s enemy. They are not our friends.< <
    You’re just now figuring this out? :)

87. Chuck Pelto says:

TO: Dan Riehl
    RE: [OT] Advantages & Disadvantages
    TypePad?
    Hmmmm…..
    May I recommend going to ExpressionEngine…..
    Regards,
    Chuck(le)
    [If a man can write a better book, make a beter speech or build a better mouse-trap, no matter that he build his house in the middle of a woods, the world will beat a path to his door.

88. Dave Fry says:

I’m sorry but it’s time to rid ourselves of the current batch of leaders. Ron Paul had great ideas more akin to Goldwater. Paul Ryan is showing us the way as well.
    We shouldn’t get bogged down in social issues and focus on the economy and small government. In addition, we should reexamine defense spending since over 300 bases around the world have become unaffordable.

89. M. Simon says:

Chuck,

90. Lina Inverse says:

After Sarah Palin said this in early April:
    “I support Michael Steele … I think he’s doing a great job. Michael Steele is an outsider. The machine, is tough, I think, to penetrate … I think it’s been good to have an independent outsider trying to create some change in the Republican Party.”
    It became clear to me that she at best lacks the acumen necessary to do a lot of what we’d hope she could do.

91. David says:

This is exactly why I have believed for quite some time that a new political party is needed. The Republican Party had its chance and proved itself incapable of being true to its principles and able to resist the lure of Washington centralized power. That’s why we have Obama and every leader in the GOP at the time of the “financial crisis” and Obama’s election deserves to be run out of town on a rail.
    My fear has been and continues to be that if the Republicans regain power (and I hope they do), the party leaders and power brokers will believe their fortunes were just the normal ebb-and-flow of DC political power, as was Obama’s election. They didn’t do anything wrong and they don’t need to change. I’ve seen precious little evidence to contradict those fears and some to confirm it (Crist, Scozzafava, McCain, Whitman, etc).
    Everyone says a new party will split our power and allow the Democrats to run wild. Perhaps, but it doesn’t have to be. We can focus on getting conservatives chosen in primaries (for both parties), put up conservative candidates where none exist, and have our candidates drop out and support the next most conservative candidate if polls show our favorite having no chance. The key is to get a solid core of conservatives in the both houses, but particularly the Senate. A small group can still be the spoilers, especially in the Senate where a minority can stop legislation through the filibuster. Don’t think of a third party as running a third party candidate for President, but a third party forcing the major parties to be more conservative in general. Such a third party, if divorced from the Republicans, stands a good chance of bringing in those “Democrats In Name Only”, those who support the Demos not because they believe in the party platform but because they would never be Republican (FDR Demos) or because they have bought into the idea that Republicans don’t “care” about normal people.
    The Tea Party may eventual fulfill this role. I have a tiny bit of hope the Republicans might be reformed…we’ll have to see after the 2010 elections. But if they fail to meet their responsibilities, it’s time to commit to abandoning the Republican Party and building something to replace it.

92. PhilosopherKing says:

Dan –
    I have been saying for a long time (though not as long as one of my best friends, who opened my eyes to this in the first place) that such a large part of Washington is so irredeemably corrupt that the system will need to come down before anything will actually change. The only difference I see now between the parties is that one side (Left/Dem) appears to be trying to bring this about (Ref: Alinsky, Cloward-Piven), while the other (RINO/Rep) is just playing defense so they can maintain their personal perks and privileges. It seems to me that we are like Rome was as the fall was taking place (which by the way took hundreds of years) – poseurs and charlatans are grabbing what they can while they can, and the ordinary folks in the position of nothing more than drones there to be looted and enslaved.
    All that said, I think your observations are right on target, except one for one thing – I think the stuation has passed the proverbial “point of no return.” We should not be focusing on how to save what is here but what the new system will look like after the inevitable implosion of the old one. Unfortunately, it is going to be ugly.

93. gary gulrud says:

“Never attack another Republican. We need them all.”
    There you go again, equating pillar replacement with putting his head on a pike.
    Anyone think Speaker Boehner is the knight to lead us on the holy crusade to dismantle regulation by fiat, restore States primacy to federalism and decaptitate the Federal bureaucracy? Anyone at all?

94. Patricia says:

If they don’t repeal Obamacare and all the other thousand-page bills the left rammed through, I don’t know what will happen to this country.
    I think the pushback has to come from individuals and companies suing to revoke these awful things. The Repubs appear to be too in love with the power and money too.

95. What I Think says:

Welcome to the club!

96. david says:

Knucklehead, when did the GOP establishment ever do anything except ensure their reelection?

97. Gartrell says:

Great post and only too true.
    Like most of you, my wife and I spend most of our time working and spending time with family…the rest of the time we worry about the fate of the country. One of the main problems we face is the low quality of congresspersons. (not a new problem – Washington complained about the incompetent, lazy and unintelligent congresses he had to deal with). As a part of her job, she reads reams about congress and their actions.
    I asked my wife to name 10 Senators that she respected. She could only name 5 and that list included Lieberman (she might not agree with all he does but he has integrity).
    Out of 100 senators, 5 you can respect.
    We could do better than that throwing darts at a phone book. My take is that we must need term limits.

98. AD - RtR/OS! says:

A GOP win in Nov?
    Just think of the new tanning machine Boehner can buy with that promotion to Speaker?

99. Chuck Pelto says:

TO: M. Simon
    RE: ‘Libertarian Wing’
    “I note: “back to personal liberties” in your comment. That would be the libertarian wing of the Republican Party. Glad to have you aboard.” — M. Simon
    I never was ‘off-board’. Ask my county and state level chairs. I’ve been a pain in their fourth-point-of-contact for quite some time.
    Regards,
    Chuck(le)
    [Politics is a deleterious profession, like some poisonous handicrafts. Men in power have no opinions, but may be had cheap for any opinion, for any purpose. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson]

100. Chuck Pelto says:

P.S. Christians, and I mean REAL ones, are the original ‘libertarians’. BUT they are not ‘libertines’ about it.
    [God made the Earth and everything therein for Man. Our problem is trying to figure out how to use it all for our benefit. Not our destruction. -- CBPelto]

101. Linda Szugyi says:

I have recently come to the same conclusion, while watching the train wreck of a GOP primary and anticipating the 3-way race in VA’s 2nd Distict in Nov (Nye incumbent).
    Voting for libertarian-minded independent Kenny Golden may be “throwing my vote away,” but I can’t back the GOP anymore. They seem more interested in preserving their own fiefdoms than in preserving our great nation.

102. ginaswo says:

agree with your insights. that is how it looks from the outside. As a recovering Dem voting GOP last yr and going forward, I am disappointed that there seems to be lack of fire ie passion about the issues, and a total dearth of any signs of the establishment getting that the movement of the American people underway is HUGE! and SIGNIFICANT! and way more important than any stale ways of dealing etc.
    I am a lifetime Dem and Tea Party Patriot who bitterly clings to my Clintons. I believe in fiscal conservatism and the Constitution and small government too. I think BIg Dawg gave us all that and Hillary would too. Her big government ideas are in a few areas and would not have been introduced in this economic environment. And she certainly was more open on her healthcare plan, more honest, and they listened when the people said no and backed off.
    Obama doubles down again and again. And why not? Pelosi gave him his chair and the two of them are sheer disaster.
    So millions of we PUMAS voted MAC Palin in 08, where was the GOP? Staying home to teach em a messxage. Well I call BS. Now we are ALL learning a painful lesson that may take generations to recover from.
    Why the fear to say no citizen outside the US has a God given right to an American job. Just say it. It is something every American agrees with. We are generous, we are welcoming, we are NOT rolling over to be assimilated and invaded here in the Southwest. Things are out of hand and the GOP is putting MAC back in the US Senate. I voted for him in 08 but even moderate Dem that I am I would rather he did not take that seat.
    Instead of SELLING OUT the CURRENT VOTERS for MYTHICAL future blocks of latino voters, how about you SERVE THE PEOPLE NOW. Then you would KEEP the Indies and recovering Dems like me who will vote GOP in 10 and 12.
    If you dont, well more room for Hillary in ’16 when we will all swing back to DLC centrist Democratic leadership.

103. jb says:

Albeit very late, glad to see you finally get it.

104. Mike Mc. says:

I agree with you. The GOP establishment is weak and pathetic.
    Palin is more of a man than any of them.
    We need a ground up roll them out campaign where the Tea Partiers and Palin-like common sensers sweep to power from school boards the the halls of Congress.
    The United States of America needs the Mitch McConnells of the world (or any of them) not at all.
    When the great tide comes in, sweep them out.
    Not as bad as Dems (who are truly malicious and hate America), but bad enough from weakness and lack of vision and virtues, like courage.

105. Xiaoding says:

TARGTET AND DESTROY ALL REPUBLICANS.
    Dude, took you long enough.