Alaska Radio Station Pulls Pro Miller Host After Murkowski Legal Threat

October 29, 2010

Update: Still Googling, but I'm sure the FEC has ruled in this area and talk radio is NOT electioneering.

This just out from the Alaska Dispatch. Do you see what Murkowski is doing here? How can you accuse a radio host of electioneering, for God's sake? This is despicable. Murkowski thinks she owns that state and it looks like some people in media up there think she does, too.

Dan Fagan, the conservative talk show host who lately spends much of his three-hour radio show slamming U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski and extolling the virtues of Republican Joe Miller, has been yanked off the air.

Fagan said a member of the Murkowski campaign called his general manager, Dennis Bookey, to say that Fagan had been electioneering and should be taken off the air. Fagan said Bookey said he was off the air today and they would evaluate the situation Monday.

Fagan followed up on my post at Big Government but only after his listeners all but demanded it, or so I've heard.

Comments:
  1. Orrin says:

You can always tell a liberal, regardless of official party affiliation. Their first instinct is ALWAYS Stalinesque. I hope this horrible woman goes down in flames.

2. labwrs says:

WOw..just DAMN as a matter of fact…does the Murk family wage THAT MUCH POWER in AK that they can do this? Are the GMs who run the radio stations THAT uninformed OR do they not BOTHER to check with legal counsel? sheeeshhhhhhhhhhhh….I smell DESPERATION in the air…..”pun intended” as president present would say….

3. Yeah, having this guy yanked just before the election is going to convince a lot of voters to vote for her. I’m sure his audience is reconsidering their positions and those who never heard of him are now impressed by Murky’s classy aura. Really dumb move.
    All she did was remove any chance that his audience will sit out the election or change their vote while giving non-audience voters no reason to vote for her and a new reason to vote against her. Really, really dumb.
    If I were an Alaskan, I would vote for a stinking pile before voting for her. Oh wait! They don’t have to vote for a stinking pile! They have Joe Miller! Don’t act like Arizonans Alaska. Vote that corruptocrat out while you have the chance.

4. Hey Dan, you’ve been cited on a Washington Post link at Drudge.
    Only one step removed from your name actually appearing on Drudge.

5. Ken says:

Question: did Murkowski, knowing Ted Stevens would likely endorse Miller if he won, and having internal polling indicating he would–but having Stevens’ endorsement for the GOP primary–have his plane sabotaged so she could “preserve” his endorsement? She could have had pedophile Jessie Griffin sabotage the plane, in return for reinstating him as “assistant kindergarten teacher,” thus giving him a veritable smorgasbord of small children for his satanic lust.

6. John.Frank says:

Governor Palin has posted the following on her Facebook Wall:
    Lisa, are you going to shut down my Facebook page for writing this?
    Yesterday, Lisa Murkowski’s hired guns threatened radio host Dan Fagan, and more importantly, the station that airs Fagan’s show, with legal action for allegedly illegal “electioneering.” The station, unlike Murkowski, who is flush with millions of dollars from vested corporate interests, does not have a budget for a legal defense. So it did what any small market station would do when threatened by Beltway lawyers charging $500 to $1000 an hour – they pulled Dan Fagan off the air.
    Does all this sound heavy handed? It is. It is an interference with Dan Fagan’s constitutional right to free speech. It is also a shocking indictment against Lisa Murkowski. How low will she go to hold onto power? First, she gets the Division of Elections to change its write-in process – a process that Judge Pfiffner correctly determined had been in place without change for 50 years. She is accepting financial support from federal contractors, an act that is highly questionable and now pending before the FEC. And today, she played her last card. She made it clear that if you disagree with her and encourage others to exercise their civic rights, she’ll take you off the air.
    The concept of “electioneering” involves several issues, but typically refers to campaigning at the polls, which is appropriately banned. Under federal law, it can also mean paying for advertising on broadcast media during a federal election cycle, and it requires disclosures if done by groups and corporations. Fagan used satire to mock Murkowski’s write-in efforts and encouraged Alaskans to run as write-in candidates. That is not illegal. That is free speech.
    Individuals like Dan Fagan have a fundamental right to speak their minds without threats from the incumbent Senator from Alaska. It is hard to find a constitutional right Americans cherish more than the right to free speech. This was a right Joe Miller, as a decorated combat veteran – a tank commander tested in battle, was willing to die to defend. Dan Fagan has not always agreed with me, but I will gladly defend his right to speak freely on his radio show, which he has often used to criticize me. In fact, Fagan has actually used his radio show to attack and insult me, my husband, my children, and my family in just about every way possible. He was especially insulting to my son, who left for a war zone to defend Fagan’s right to attack our family. But when I was his governor, I never would have dreamed of threatening his right to free speech. I support him in this fight because this D.C. Beltway thuggery, as exemplified by Lisa Murkowski’s latest threat, is ruining our country. The powers that be want ordinary Americans to sit down and shut up and let the ruling class ride us right off the debt cliff we’re heading towards with Obama, Pelosi, and Reid steering the nation’s car. We can’t let them. Now is the time to put aside our past differences and stand up to the establishment powers.
    This whole episode confirms again why we need to elect Joe Miller. Lisa, you can sue me if you want (you won’t be the first). But I will not be intimidated from speaking my mind. Your intimidation just empowered us liberty-loving Alaskans. Are you really that out of touch?
    – Sarah Palin

7. barfo says:

I don’t think whoever wrote that for Palin is doing Miller any favors..her endorsement is poison.
    Did Miller ever say Palin is qualified to be president yet?

8. TaxMaiden says:

Just shows the true arrogance of these political elites. Gee, with that kind of power, Murkowski is sure to get a job offer from Obama. She is definitely his kind of people!

9. m says:

We don’t know what is going on in Alaska. Miller has a negative campaign and he does tell so many lies. I have been reading some interesting stories about Miller from Alaska Dispatch. More women in Alaska are voting for Lisa Murkowski than men. It is look like Murkowski is going to win. I hope that Sarah Palin will not run for President in 2012. Her unfavorable poll is at 64%. It because she didn’t finished her job as the Governor of Alaska during first term.

10. JLancaster says:

If there are any heavy hitting attorneys out there, please step up, and counter sue this woman for violating the man’s Constitutional right to free speech. I’ve had enough of this marxist parading around as a Republican. Orin Hatch needs to be removed for allowing this marxist liar to retain her committee position. It emboldened her. Remove him next. HEY LISA, SUE ME B……

11. JLancaster says:

m,
    You would be little Lisa, would you? Lisa’s toast. Anyone with any common sense is going to vote for the military officer over the marxist.

12. JLancaster says:

Dan,
    You need to get an edit link on you site. I know you have a preview but I’m so enraged, I’m going to break my keys from typing so hard.

13. Moobs says:

m is an obot along with that marxist idiot barfbrain
    if palin’s endorsements are so toxic than how come nikki haley won the primary?

14. JLancaster says:

I would encourage everyone to call Senator Jeff Bingham DC Office: (202) 224-5521 or senator_bingaman@bingaman.senate.gov. He is the Chairman of the Senate Energy Committee that this Murkowski person sits on. What she did is third world despotic behavior. I told them, we would be changing our party affiliation from Republican to Independent for the Presidential race if she is not removed. I’m mortified for the man she did this to. I don’t want to be tied to despots.

15. Max says:

I would love to see Miller sue the pants off those cowards at the Alaska Dispatch. They have published so many smears and lies about Miller it is utterly disgusting.
    And some of the Alaskan voters are just as disgusting. They eat up every thing they hear and read in what passes for the Alaskan media. Too lazy to do their own research. When you think about it; they deserve MeeCOKEski