In Memory of Mark Levin’s Dear Griffen

December 22, 2010

Long-time readers may recall when I wrote of losing my Lab, Easy, in December of 2005. I can't believe it's been five years. But I'm grateful I can remember her today without the pain I felt at the time.

I can't recall the things I said to her, though I know I said much. Whatever it was is buried somewhere deep down in my heart – where she is – where it and she will always be – so Easy, so beloved, so pure.

GriffenMark Levin fans know that my friend recently lost his beloved Griffen. He noted it on his Facebook page. There's more in the way of a tribute up at the site for Mark's show.

As a dog lover, I think they often bring out the best in us, whether we're boys, or men – or girls, or women. While little can soothe the hurt, or make up for the innocence lost, when we lose a dear pet and friend, we are all the richer for having had the opportunity to have loved them so much.

I know Mark loved Griffen very much and I somewhat know his hurt. Griffen was a rescue with a tragic past. I will share one thing I said to Mark, as I think it worthwhile. Just as Mark shouldered Griffen's burdens by rescuing him, he now shoulders the burden of his release from what had become a difficult life due to illness. That's as much a tribute to Mark, as it is to Griffen. Hopefully, his fans will keep both in their hearts and prayers.

Today, Judi McLeod has a short, wonderful tribute at the Canada Free Press site

In Memory of Griffen

No one and nothing can take away the heartache when a beloved dog dies.

But it was the irresistible Griffen, with all of his tail-wagging ways, who eased the still grieving heart of Mark Levin after his dog Sprite died.  And that’s just one of the countless reasons why Griffen was so loved by his master.

On FaceBook tonight Levin writes, “If you want to learn about my buddy Griffen, you can read the last chapter of Rescuing Sprite.”  “In Memory of Griffen Levin”, posted on his website, is really a tribute to all dogs.

Comments:
  1. Done That says:

Very touching. All who have owned and loved dogs will appreciate it.

2. Dear Dan,
    Nikita, & I, sent an e-mail to Mark, with a poem Nikita wrote back in Sept.
    Actually he wrote 2 poems of comfort in time of loss, one version for Cat Lovers, one for Dog Lovers, at a time when the Cat Blogging Community was suffering many losses in its ranks.
    We don’t know if he will ever see it, but we felt it was the right thing to do to show our support as fans of his show.
    As Nikita wrote him…”Little Grif is at peace, and no longer feels any pain, and will no doubt make it his Special Duty, on Rainbow Bridge, to watch over you, and protect you from the dastardly Far Lefties, until it is your time to join him for eternity.”
    Both versions of the poem can be read here:
    How Kind You Are: Songs of Comfort for When Furry Friends Go to Rainbow Bridge

3. Sissy Willis says:

Very sweet tribute. Tearing up now. So true about “release from what had become a difficult life due to illness.” God bless.

4. redc1c4 says:

“Dear God: Please help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.”

5. JadedByPolitics says:

There is nothing quite like the love of an animal both rescued and store bought (though I prefer rescue). When someone like Vick has no problem watching animals fight and die, I know those people are HEARTLESS, I know they have NO SOUL. Love of animals is how I decide the friends that I have, if you don’t love animals you are no friend of mine. Merry Christmas worldviewers “)

6. It will share one thing I said to Mark, as I think it worthwhile. Just as Mark shouldered Griffen’s burdens by rescuing him, he now shoulders the burden of his release from what had become a difficult life due to illness. I read all these post it is great to know about it.

7. Ron Underhill says:

Marks Love for animals is so deep, I listen to Mark speak about his pets with such devotion and
    warmth that I get choked up myself as I too have been down this road with my dogs. They are missed
    each day.
    When I’d come home after a long day, the tails wagging and the licks of affection from each one on my hands as I pet their heads says welcome home dad, now lets eat. I say that because, they wait for me to come home, then they’re happy and excited to eat something, as I too sit down to eat dinner.They’re all eating quietly as I have my meal.I love these 4 little dogs so much.
    God bless them all, they’re angels from heaven and our lives are better to have been with them.
    Our prayers go out to Mark,little Griffen and Sprite.
    You’re a good man Mark

8. Sharon says:

I’m sorry to learn that Mark has had to say goodbye to another beloved friend.
    On New Year’s Day, just 10 days ago, at about midnight our wonderful Sierra King, a 13 1/2 year old Siberian Husky, died. We have had four of the best dogs in the last 30 years, and the pain of losing them (and somehow always feeling like you failed them in not being able to “fix it” like so often they “fixed things” for us just by being there)….that pain never seems to get easier, no matter how often you go through it.
    I’m so looking forward to the Rainbow Bridge. We have a group waiting.

9. Jerrie Rimas says:

Mark,
    I am so sorry to hear all of your beloved friends have passed. I just finished reading Rescuing Sprite last night! Boy, did I tear up especially where your friends were trying to console you. I had to rehome my Lab-Sunny @ 9 months old and that was tuff. I miss him dearly. I am struggling with possibly having to put my chocolate cat down named Buster Brown who is 16 years old. He is such a lover and talker. I show him in cat shows, oh so many memories. I wanted to stuff him, because I can’t let him go. He is the best cat I have ever had. I can tell he loves me because he will come around 9pm and want to snuggle every night. After 30 minutes he is off in his bed. So, I have come to gripps that when he does pass I will take some of his ashes and have a tatoo made of my angle kitty on my neck who will be with me all the time. So, sorry to hear about Pepsi and Griffin. Your book on Rescuing Sprite was awesome and to hear you have so much passion for an animal enlightens me. I don’t find very many men out there who are that way. Oh, by the way I do work for Rescue groups and I am a Pet sitter by trade. I have my favoritte dog named Blue who is a rescue from Kentucky where I grew up and he is 10 years now. He is my buddy. Funny when he does his business he has to sit up on a hill or next to a tree. Can’t be normal.
    Take care,