Erick Erickson: Romney Can’t Win

January 27, 2012

I'm often tough on Erick at RedState, so it's only right that I credit him for saying what needs to be said about Romney. He will never see the inside of the White House without a guest pass – and I'm OK with that.

The fix is in for Romney, which just means when he is crushed by Barack Obama a lot of Republicans will have a lot of explaining to do. Newt may not be able to win. But Romney sure as hell can’t beat Obama either if Newt can’t win. The problem remains — Gingrich supporters intrinsically know this to be so and are happy to die fighting. Romney’s supporters are still deluding themselves.

This is Rush Limbaugh from yesterday. Last night Mark Levin strongly made much the same point as regards Romney attacking Fred Thompson and Rudy in 2008. Keyword "hate." McCain couldn't even look at the man when he endorsed him this year.

If you want to know, why do these people hate Romney so much? In 2008, you recall, Huckabee and McCain hated Romney.

I believe it was Dan Gainor who pointed out via Twitter last night, in essence, the establishment may end up getting Romney through but they are quite possibly costing themselves the election to do it. Mitt Romney IS a progressive Republican who will say anything to get the nomination. The GOP sycophants that call themselves conservative in our Beltway media can shill and hide massive weaknesses for Romney all they want. Come a general election, they will be irrelevant and an Obama-friendly media will be calling the shots. Given the bias of so many GOP pundits in the primary, they will have no right to complain about it, as if it would even matter.

For Romney to attack every conservative from the Right, when he is so obviously and so far to the Left of them, demonstrates a complete lack of character and integrity. But slash and burn is all he has, as he has no core conservative principles and can't articulate them in an authentic manner. As much as I hate Obama's politics, as an individual, I have more respect for him today, than I do Mitt Romney. And I am far from alone. If the GOP doesn't realize what that will cost in soft support, or no support at all in the Fall, they are delusional.

With the advent of new media, too many people are seeing, talking and connecting today. The GOP in Washington is not the party of Reagan, it is a party on its way to the political wilderness for a decade or more without serious reform. The clearest sign of that is the support a Ron Paul pulls. It is 2 – 4 times what it should be and is a telling sign of just how many people have written, or are in the process of writing off the GOP establishment.

From RNC head, to primaries, now the primary, the GOP establishment consistently uses all its power to stomp down any conservative. Conservatives are fast approaching a breaking point. The GOP believes it will be fine because it will be all Obama come November. They are wrong. Mitt Romney has gone from unlikeable, to detestable and some of us are not going to forget it simply because the GOP thinks it can blow dog whistles around Obama.

When the GOP nominee formulated and implemented the model for ObamaCare, there's not enough distance between those two dogs to fight for much of anything come the general election. If nothing else, at least we can then finally be rid of Mitt Romney, who has been little more than a blight upon GOP presidential politics for two election cycles, now. The media structure enabling him may remain, but that too will be increasingly undersiege by grassroots-based new media. What we lack in money, we make up for in numbers. And we have the GOP's number thanks to the primary season, as well as several previous recent events.

Yesterday was a despicable day in American politics given the Romney/GOP garbage dump on former Speaker Newt Gingrich – and he wasn't even my guy. That the GOP sycophants and Team Romney will demonstrate absolutely no shame over it makes it abundantly clear that a GOP with Mitt Romney at the helm is unfit to govern America.

Comments:
  1. patrick says:

There is nothing here that justifies the Romney can’t win claims. Even if Romney is running more conservattive than he claims to be, even id he is a Ford, GHWBush, or Eisenhower, not a Reagan, that’s hardly proof of unelectability. Romney and Newt both are more articulate than any candidate since Reagan. Flawed, yes, but Obama is weak and failed. If anything, the X can’t win claims on all sides are false, Newt is the least electable but has a 50% shot, for santorum and romney it would be better.

2. Dan Riehl says:

I’m not going to talk about other candidates in this regard. This isn’t romney versus whomever. Romney articulate? ha ha You must be joking. The minute he goes off script he gets in trouble almost every time.

3. m says:

I agree with Erick Erickson’s article about Romney can’t win. It is because Romney is not conservative.

4. gary gulrud says:

But given whoever wins the Nomination, we teh Amerikkkan people, need to shut up and get behind him, because this lying POS is going to change us for the better.
    ESAD GOP.

5. Jay says:

Great post Dan, I am one of those who you can count in the “detest” Romney camp. I really had respect for him as a man, but now I don’t and frankly I don’t think it’s because Mitt is mean, but deep down Mitt is a very weak and spineless man and doesn’t have the guts to tell his sick rabies-infested dogs to cut it out. Mitt is almost identical to Obama, will say and do anything to get elected.
    As you said Dan the minute he goes off script he gets in trouble…even when he’s on script he does the same “uh uhhs” that Obama does.

6. Ragspierre says:

Romney is like giving cough syrup to a cancer patient.
    He is simply the wrong medicine. IFFFF he won…if the cough syrup worked as intended…the mortal problem remains unaddressed.

7. ljm says:

Have y’all forgotten about the 27 minute hit piece movie that Newt promoted in the debate that proceeded its release? The four pinnochio hoax that was roundly discredited by even the people who were featured it in.
    Newt has a new ad out called “Blood Money” that features Mitt portrayed to look like a vampire. I guess they think that is bad thing. The ad is basically more free enterprise bashing stuff.
    I’m guessing that by the first Wednesday in November Obama will be feeling the hate, as well.

8. Ragspierre says:

No. We haven’t forgotten anything.
    Including that you are a lying troll.

9. ljm says:

Good morning rags,
    Have you finished your analysis of Section III item C of the house ethics committee report?

10. Ragspierre says:

Yep.
    And I’ve demonstrated you are a lying troll. Several times.
    And that the entire Gingrich ethics thing was a witch-hunt from the git.
    Liar.

11. EBL says:

I have teased Newt about his space comments, because it was more pandering than vision…but there was at least some vision there. Romney? Damn if I can tell what his vision is.
    Will Romney lose the general? He might. Will Newt? Frankly Newt is so over the map and prone to self destruction…well yeah it is a debatable point which candidate is weaker against Obama. Newt has morphed and flip flopped as much as Romney has over the years. Yet, I am surprised how much the Establishment GOP has lined up against Newt, who is one of their own.

12. EBL says:

I have a problem with Newt’s womanizing: With Nancy Pelosi and Dede Scozzafava.

13. Ragspierre says:

EBL…as I said elsewhere this morning…
    I never watch these “debates”, so it is interesting to read the take of others on who won, lost, scored, etc.
    I am…disappointed…in our nomination process, which seems the near-absolutely worst possible that could be designed.
    Not one of these people really has “limited government” stamped in their hearts. (I am not including Paul, because he is just nuts.)
    A moon base? Really? Isn’t a “prize” a back-loaded subsidy?
    (Gloom)

14. Mary says:

Sorry, what you wrote about Romney goes double for Newt. He is a lying opportunist who cares only about one job-his own. His stance on illegal immigration is merely a door opener to a nightmare amnesty. Keep Newt- I’ll take Romney over him any day of the week.

15. ljm says:

Rags,
    Then for the good of history. For the good of America. Do it for Newt. Provide your counter argument of Section III item C of the ethics report. Clear his name of the charge of misleading the committee once and for all!

16. Ragspierre says:

Here’s a thought, Mary…
    Newt can’t pass any kind of immigration reform by himself, so we get a say in that.
    ObamaCare IS on the books, and will destroy this nation if it is not KILLED. That is not hyperbole.
    So…??? What to do…???

17. EBL says:

http://evilbloggerlady.blogspot.com/2012/01/romney-claims-that-gingrich-was-not.html How in the hell can Romney call Newt anti Reagan? It is like Obama calling Newt anti Reagan.

18. BR says:

If a majority of Alaskans could learn to spell “Murkowski”, I should think at least 10% of conservatives could manage to write “Sarah Palin”. That number (perhaps 3-4% of the voting population?) should be enough to tip an election. Obama won in 2008 by 53-46% of the popular vote, if I recall correctly. With the advantage of the internet, could conservatives create a measurable voting bloc by the time the Republican convention is held? Something along the lines of a website recording pledges of Former Republicans who promise they will not vote for Romney no matter what. If the establishment sees a clearly organized movement ready to cancel their ticket, maybe that would be sufficient to veto Romney et al. If they can’t get a real candidate, then lose out for another four more years (how many times would it take for them to learn?). Yes, lots of details to figure out, but could it be done?

19. sickofrinos says:

Romney Care- The only reason you need not to vote for this institutional rino.

20. Disgusted says:

If you vote for Romney you will keep getting RINOs. The Establishment know that you will vote for a RINO before voting for Democrats. So why should they give you a conservative?
    Skip the top line in November. Skip any line with a RINO. Democrat, RINO. What’s the difference? We lose either way. If necessary just stay home. Don’t vote.
    Your only chance of getting a conservative is when you refuse to vote for a RINO.

21. tired of the b/s says:

Erickson’s hypocracy:
    Perhaps Erickson needs to clean up his own website before he startes telling others what to think. He has one moderator who routinely kicks people off if they even think of not marching to his drumming.
    One poster mentioned last night that if Romney is the nominee, “Conservatives will stay home.”
    For that simple comment, Bill S., a mod at RS, came back with this retort:
    “Not one more word about staying home if Romney is nominated. We have tolerated your idiocy on this point for quite long enough. This site has two goals: electing conservatives and electing Republicans. When a Republican is in the race against a Democrat, we support the Republican.
    If you can’t deal with that simple concept, do not post here again. If you can keep your yap shut about people staying home in the case of a Romney nomination, you are welcome to stay.”
    Bill S. is the same clown (moderator) at RS that has been booting people off left and right because they don’t agree with him, and his opinion, or they call him down on his rudeness. He serves as Erickson’s mafia hit man, and is given carte blanche on who to kick off the website. Bill S. booted a number of Perry supporters basically telling them that since they were not willing to toe the line for Romney, they were outta there. Those same commentators wound up at other blogs telling how they were booted for a) supporting Perry or b) asking for a little respect when they did not enter something that was “idiocy” or demeaning toward another candidate.
    RedState deserves to go the way of LGF.

22. OCBill says:

The GOP is dead to me.
    I will switch my registration to independent or Libertarian and wait to see if anything worthwhile rises from the ashes.

23. Y-not says:

Make it simple on yourselves and vote for the guy with the best tax plan. That’s Gingrich. http://tinyurl.com/7yotpcz

24. CaliKate says:

Romney reminds me of the male version of Meg Whitman, the moderate billionaire businesswoman (former CEO of Ebay) nominated by the California Republicans to run against Jerry Brown in our 2010 Gubernatorial election. She lost by 13 points. (Jerry won 53.8% and she only received 40.9% of the votes).
    The California Republicans were so certain they could easily beat “Moonbeam” Jerry Brown with his failed record by highlighting Meg’s business experience. But in the end, Jerry Brown prevailed. I’m sure Obama’s campaign is studying just how Jerry pulled off his impressive win and will use the same tactics against Mitt. Obama has quite a California presence and support network out here. He comes here regularly to wine and dine his Silicon Valley and Hollywood donors.

25. Xiaoding says:

The GOP must die, it’s carcass burned. It’s as simple as that.
    TIME FOR A THIRD PARTY.

26. gary gulrud says:

Gallup had an extensive poll of national approval numbers a week, 10 days back given the Nominee.
    In the case of Romney, 24% of Indies said they would not support him and another 12% would voted for some one else.
    Republican numbers were about half that though the percentage willing to vote for Obama was smaller.
    The upshot is, before Romney gets hit hard is his high water mark is 41-42%. Not doing well with women, young people, Christians, people under $200K%.
    When Paul was thrown in the mix Romany garnered 32%.
    Loooser.

27. MarkJ says:

My bold prediction: Neither Romney nor Gingrich will be nominated. Somebody will be drafted instead–maybe at the convention or maybe even earlier. I’m sure a lot of people have been repeatedly viewing Mitch Daniels’ SOTU response on YouTube and muttering, “What can we do to change this guy’s mind?”
    Call it a “Maximus Moment”:
    Maximus: What would you have me do, Caesar?
    Marcus Aurelius: I want you to become the protector of Rome after I die. I will empower you to one end alone. To give power back to the people of Rome and end the corruption that has crippled it.
    Will you accept this great honor that I have offered you?
    Maximus: With all my heart, no.
    Marcus Aurelius: Maximus, that is why it must be you.

28. John says:

Tired,
    While I’m not too big on your spelling of the word hypocrisy, the direct quote you offered from Bill S. at RedState proved enlightening and rather chilling. I read the entire thread at RedState and found the responses to Bill S.’s comment quite interesting. I suggest others read the thread themselves and, as citizens of a democracy, develop their own opinions. Perhaps they’ll find it boring or just another flame war? Perhaps they’ll just laugh?
    Inspired by MarkJ, I recalled this line from a true American, Major Frank Burns, during “The Novocaine Mutiny” on M*A*S*H:
    “Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free.”
    Seems to me, and I could well be incorrect, that’s what Bill S. is pitching at RedState.

29. Publiuzz says:

Yeah, I can’t vote for Obama but also won’t for Romney. Romney’s unelectable and I hope he does lose, cause then the “establishment” GOP is DONE. The effect on sitting politicians would be like a nation-wide primary challenge, and we might just end up with a party that represents the people. Ain’t no third parties in America, this is the way it happens.

30. TPF says:

Couldn’t agree more. The GOP is no shape to govern as the House Republicans have shown since taking power in 2010. I mean… they couldn’t even keep the promise to post bills so that everyone could read them.
    I am tired. Tired of all the empty promises of limited government, fiscal responsibility. Tired of the same old game. I am prepared to risk the prospect of the 4 more years of Obama if it means the GOP finally reforming itself. Removing the phonies and cronies.

31. Xrlq says:

Erick Erickson has written some really stupid stuff in the past. Nice to see that some things never change. No, I’m not saying that nominating Mitt Romney can guarantee we will re-take the White House. Yes, I am saying that nominating Newt Gingrich, Ron Paul or Rick Santorum can absolutely, positively, iron-cladily guarantee we will not.

32. cali says:

Dan,
    your post is the best I’ve read for today – thanks!
    If I could ask plastic boy one question, it would be: Why did you by all the hard drives in the governors office upon leaving, and why did you destroy all of them afterwards? What were you hiding, that it was that important to even brake the law regarding this purpose?
    I really want to know what went on then. Maybe his masters have an answer!
    I despise any-and everything GOP, and if for some odd reason (although I highly doubt it)the GOP get their boy, I will not vote this time or even again for them.

33. artark says:

Some people like the fool, others the clown. A few go for the one who’s name has taken on a meaning of its own. A couple like Crazy Granpa. It doesn’t make any difference. They’ll all end up on the side of the road looking for a ride home.