Whitney Houston: If I should stay I would only be in your way

February 11, 2012

Whitney

Singer Whitney Houston's untimely death at the age of 48 today has derailed the political clown cars off Matt Drudge's top of the fold and filled the Twitter stream with currents of emotional angst revealing more about the twitterers than Houston herself. We'd never thought much about the legendary singer one way or the other till tonight, when we heard of her passing, googled and discovered the transcendence of her Gospel-trained pop sound: I will always love you. We'd heard it before, just never made the connection. Breathtaking.

By Sissy Willis of sisu

It was going to be all about Mitt Romney's twofer tonight and tomorrow on the Sunday talk shows — winning the CPAC straw poll and then the Maine caucuses! — but now a transcendent singer has died at 48, and politics will just have to wait. It's Whitney Houston 24/7 till further notice …

Read full post here.

Comments:
  1. WillieMaize24 says:

I’m sorry she passed away, and she might have been a great person, but Drudge’s opinion that she had the greatest voice of all, is absurd.. No she was not a great singer. Many conservatory voice majors could do as well or better than her. She was of the “can belto” school of singing. She could belt but had no ability to convey ranges of emotion, and used too much vibrato, which suggests she had pitch problems. Whenever I heard her voice I wished she would stop.

2. Mr X says:

Will.
    WillieMaize was commenting on the singing -pure & simple.
    I think he is right & just because she is dead in middle age does not change our opinions.
    Thank you.

3. YourMaster says:

she died after she learned the reality that 0bama and michelle are communists and have gay sex with arab children. *l*

4. Ragspierre says:

If that post was supposed to be funny…
    you missed by a mile.

5. Anna says:

My deepest sympathies to those who knew her and loved her most. She was surrounded by some of the greatest female singing talent of the last 1/2 century which added a dimension to her successes and tragedies. Many of those women are still with us and are deeply grieving today; be mindful of that. Her passing is a reminder that life is far too short…and I would say that for an unborn baby to the oldest human. We only have a limited number of sunrises, and whether you like her music or not, Whitney reached more people in song then will ever notice our passing here on this thread.

6. EBL says:

I am sorry about Ms. Houston. She was a troubled Jersey girl. RIP.
    But life goes on as do the GOP primaries. http://evilbloggerlady.blogspot.com/2012/02/warning-to-gop-candidates-no-nanny.html

7. Not bought off by Whitney's dying says:

She was not a great singer. She could bellow with the loudest or crack her voice and pretend to be emoting, all broken up by the verses. It was hollow and plastic and a bad imitation of real emotion. She was a product of the 1980s machine, just another limited performer who served its need for mechanical music and mechanical feeling.
    And I will not change my opinion just because she’s dead.
    She killed herself by marrying a professional bad boy and following him into drugs and drink. The only surprise is the moment of her death — events that happen in the blink of an eye are always a surprise and can shock — but this woman has been walking toward death for years and she chose to get on the road of her own free will.
    The lesson here has nothing to do with music or singing – it is about taking drugs – taking that first hit, snorting that first line, believing because you are delusional that how it ended for so many other people is not how it will end for you.
    And may I add that while the addict pursues the addiction, the price for it is paid by family and friends – for generations.

8. Pasadena Phil says:

There is no debate that Whitney Houston was one the major talents of our time. I never bought her albums because I just don’t like most of her songs. But watch some of those videos of her first time leading her church’s choir at the age of 15. That was talent that needs no favors. She just had “it”. Even at 15, she would have stood out against even the best of that time.
    It’s just a shame that such talented people are blessed with such gifts only to waste it by becoming another cautionary tale about self-indulgence. Her life choices may have been terrible but her talent was truly transcendental. She could stand in the middle of the room with no accompaniment nor electronics and wow the crowd under the most constricting rules. Even if she were forced to sing just one single note, it would have been special. She was THAT good.

9. Ragspierre says:

There is a lot of pathos and pathology behind the drive to be a celebrity. It is often a sick, lonely, miserable existence…that you have to REALLY work hard to achieve.
    Self-medication goes along with it, root and branch, as does self-destruction.

10. Ricky says:

Well said Pasedana P.
    I also never bought any of her music, but I heard one of her news songs last year, it spoke of pain and the never failing love and care of God during her dark hours.
    Another of God’s singers went home.
    “I like to think that before time began, before the world was created or galaxies flung into space, there was God– and He was singing a song.
    The music was so beautiful that it had to be heard. So God created… and down through the ages He’s always had His singers who picked up fragments of the melody, hummed bits harmony, wrote phrases of poetry, or danced short movements.
    No one has ever heard the whole song since that day God sang it alone. But one of these days He will gather all His children home, and one by one the singers of all the ages will lift their voices and fill in the parts life taught to them.
    At last we’ll hear love’s sweetest song as it was first conceived in the heart of the great song writer Himself. It will be perfect. What music there will be when the song of the ages is sung around the Father’s throne when all of God’s singers get home!” Gloria Gaither

11. Dwok says:

Ricky, I’m sorry but she was certainly not one of “God’s Singers”. She sold out her God given talent years ago for celebrity.
    “For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?” Mark 8:36
    It’s sad but it’s the truth and judgement and hell is going to be the price to pay for those that did not and do not recognize Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Recognizing him means you are grounded in his word not in the things of this world.
    She was an amazing talent that’s what makes it even more difficult.

12. sickofrinos says:

I hope her kid stays away from her father ” The Rocksbury Retard”.

13. EBL says:

Chuckles over at LGF is using this sad death of Whitney Houston as an opportunity to slander the right (again). http://evilbloggerlady.blogspot.com/2012/02/did-little-green-football-supporters.html

14. Ricky says:

Dwok
    She did recognize Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. You are right, she went astray, but only God knows what was in her heart. In her last day and hours of desperation she may have called on Him again, we don’t know.
    God says he is better than our earthly fathers. If we as earthly fathers know to forgive, love and be merciful unto our wayward children, how much more will our Heavenly Father forgive, love and be merciful unto us?
    If I had evidence that her heart was hardened towards Jesus, I would have thought the way you do. But the evidence I have, from hearing an interview she did last year, her heart was tender towards God, she loved him, in her weakness and sin, she was crying out to him, I heard that.
    Who can understand the grace of God – many believe people who commited suicide go to hell – I don’t – never underestimate the grace of God.
    I also know that God will not be mocked, and you will sow what you reap, but again, God only knows our hearts, our struggles and the forces of evil that work against us to keep us from victory.
    I choose to believe Whitney went home and is singing with Elvis the praises of the God they love. I know Elvis loved Him too – I listened to some of his songs- it is unmistakeable – his love for God.

15. Ricky says:

should be “reap what you sow”

16. TexasFred says:

Whitney Houston… Her friends, fans and family can take solace in knowing that she died doing what she loved to do most … Drugs.