I Don’t Want Palin At The GOP Convention

August 14, 2012

I thought quite a bit about this particular topic recently. h/t to a Tweet and post linking to this Scott Conroy item at Real Clear politics.

Palin's Absence From Convention May Expose Rift

Yeah, so? As an aside, I too was intrigued by Palin's sparse mention of Ryan in her Facebook post. I didn't give it too much thought, though I dare say it may have been different had the VP pick been female. My impression is that Palin seems increasingly focused on championing women in conservative and GOP politics. That's very much needed in my view. So long as principle isn't sacrificed, it's a good thing. But as for this rift….

The former Alaska governor has demonstrated a continued ability to wield significant influence, particularly in Senate and House primary races, but her penchant for doing things her own way has left the lingering possibility that she could either boost the standard-bearer or become a thorn in his side.

For this reason, it was notable when she initially offered only a lukewarm reaction to Romney’s selection of Ryan.

On Saturday night, the former Alaska governor posted on her Facebook page a statement that clocked in at over 1,100 words, in which she attacked President Obama’s policies and compared the nation’s fiscal mess to California’s, but offered only cursory congratulations to Romney for choosing Ryan and declining to praise specifically any of the Wisconsin congressman’s attributes as a running mate.

The following morning, two Republican sources with knowledge of discussions between the Palin and Romney camps told RCP that Palin would not attend the convention after not receiving an invitation to speak in prime time.

“They’ve got Ryan now, so they think they’ve got the Tea Party covered,” one of the sources said.

Two Palin aides did not respond to requests for confirmation that she would not speak in Tampa, but the 2008 VP nominee appeared on Fox News later on Sunday and offered up a far more full-throated endorsement of the GOP ticket than the one that she had provided earlier.

You're damned right there's a rift. What good does it do to pretend otherwise? As far as I'm concerned, Palin not being at the convention makes a better statement, than her being there in the form of an empty gesture.

The GOP establishment has spent 3 years telling Palin – and in many ways, us (speaking as a conservative,) we aren't welcome unless we behave – i.e. compromise our principles to the point where they aren't principles any longer, but merely political conveniences. The heck with that.

I trust Palin to get behind Romney/Ryan to do everything she can do to help him get elected. She did that in the Facebook post cited, as she hammered Obama. I intend to do much the same thing, support Romney/Ryan every way I can because defeating Barack Obama is the right thing to do for America and for conservatism.

Still, call it the Tea Party, the grassroots, or simply more genuine conservatives, hell, it's not a rift – there's a damned #War going on for the future of the Republican Party. And I – and I'm sure Palin – are capable of doing the right thing as best we can in and until November without some slight amount of window dressing to pretend otherwise.

We may very well elect Romney/Ryan in November. I will be ecstatic. But once we hit January and so on, make no mistake, it's still #GameOn! when it comes to taking on the GOP establishment that hasn't been doing enough of the right thing for America for decades, now.

I see Palin's not speaking at the convention as little more than an affirmation of that reality, call it a rift, or whatever you want. So, … so what? I can handle reality better than I can someone blowing smoke up my butt.

We're not at peace. We get to enjoy a stretch of detente, come together and fight for the best, right answer available for America right  now – Romney/Ryan. That's not a bad thing. But if Mitt, or Ryan, the GOP, or Congress starts up with the usual tricks and nonsense after we win in the Fall, then conservatives have to be prepared to stand up to the challenge of the same GOP establishment we've been seriously challenging since the first contemporary Tea Party broke out. And only a fool of a conservative should think otherwise.

Comments:
  1. N4cerinc says:

Well Said. Let’s stop acting like everything is okay. But first things first. Get Obama out.

2. section9 says:

I’m not sure that people have any idea what’s going on on the inside. It isn’t just Palin. More will come out as things go on.

3. Ragspierre says:

Conservatives are not the GOP.
    We have common cause with the GOP, and often use the existing structure of the GOP.
    But we have to understand that WE are the insurgents. It is a mistake to ASSume we are the party. We are not…yet.

4. You said it all, Dan. Said it all. January is Game on!

5. Sissy Willis says:

Fight like a girl! Also, don’t retreat, reload. Not to mention Shoot to where it’s going, not to where it’s been. Great post!

6. hrh says:

Here’s a thought to consider, Dan:
    We know from public statements from Palin (on Cavuto’s show with Bolling) and Priebus (on Greta’s show) that there were talks going on.
    What if Palin’s Facebook post was very much along the lines of the speech she presented to the Romney team that she wanted to give?
    And the Romney team counted the number of times Romney was mentioned. And since several public pronouncements have been made that the convention is going to be a RomneyFest and not a conservative principles fest, they said no way to that speech.
    Cuz you better know it if even you counted the mentions of Romney/Ryan, then Romney sure did.
    Here’s an example of what the goals of the convention are:
    “”The agenda of speakers reflect the priorities the campaign has going into the fall,” said Republican strategist Ron Bonjean. “If they were to put someone out there who was not helpful, who was off message or a loud mouth, it would do nothing but hurt their efforts.””
    Now – after you stop spewing liquid all over the screen because of the notion that KEYNOTE SPEAKER Chris Christie is NOT a loud mouth and NOTHING BUT a loud mouth – consider that agenda for the convention.
    IOW, we don’t want the media to be offended if we “attack Obama.”
    I believe Christie announced today that he wouldn’t be attacking Obama, that he’d be talking up the Wonder God, Mitt Romney, with a little bit of Baby God, Paul Ryan, thrown in.
    Apparently the 2012 convention will be just the opposite of the 2008 convention in that it will perpetuate the silly notion of the Establishment GOP that if they just play kissyfoot with the Democrats, the media will play kissyfoot back.
    IOW, don’t think we’ll be hearing anything like this at this year’s convention:
    “I’m not going to Washington to seek their (the media’s) good pleasure. I’m going to Washington to serve the good people of this great nation.”
    Such a statement would apparently “hurt their efforts” to make nicey-nice so the media will like them.

7. EBL says:

Yeah. You have a point.
    I do not have high expectations for Romney. I like Ryan, but he is not going to be president for this cycle. I just assume Romney will be better than Barack Obama. We need to get rid of Obamacare and winning the WH is necessary to do that.

8. Patriot says:

Sure you won’t compromise your “principles.” As evidenced by the fact that the Tea Party nominated the author of Obamacare. And as evidenced by the W years. Ragspierre is correct about one thing though – you ARE the insurgents, just like the Taliban.

9. zaugg says:

Patriot- you teh stoopid? The Tea Party did not nominate Romney, the Republican Party did. If you want to compare us to the Taliban, you really must be smokin some bad bud.

10. David R. Graham says:

Good post, thanks.
    My word for this is “re-revolutionize” the country. Throw the concept of individual responsibility into the mixture that is public thought, word and deed. It is revolutionary now. The country can’t be “saved” in the sense of being returned to a previous condition or foundation, but she can be re-revolutionized by that concept and propelled into a fresh condition and foundation topologically congruent with the original. And is being. Palin par excellence embodies it. Ryan and Romney also do.
    Not the Constituion per se but its genius, individual responsibility, is the fresh foundation. Sweep away the thieves and layabouts. There’s the action. If RR win and DC recidivates to accommodate cheats and idlers, you betcha, throw that concept at them with unremitting force. It is the winner because it is the goal of history.

11. Ragspierre says:

What I simply ADORE is that you have hate-twisted, moronic trolls like the one above invoking the Taliban on a thread about a powerful female leader of the Conservative movement.
    Precious…!!!

12. jane says:

I agree that Palin not speaking at the Convention indicates a rift but most likely it is one that the GOP establishment figures is insignificant.
    They probably figure they have covered the TP/Conservative base by picking Ryan. They may figure Palin’s base will fall in line because Obama is so much worse. This way Romney doesn’t have to have anything to do with Palin – someone he probably thinks is common and low class. Since there are plenty of GOP insiders who agree with him he may see no problem.
    Of course IF her supporters don’t march lockstep behind him and he loses – because of his own inadequacies- they will have Palin & Conservatives to lay the blame on.

13. Ragspierre says:

“Palin – someone he probably thinks is common and low class.”
    Total BS.

14. jane says:

Ragspierre – so you really think Romney thinks highly of Palin? Maybe “loe class” was a tad excessive but you can’t convince me Romney thinks Palin should be anywhere near a position of power.

15. Ragspierre says:

“…you can’t convince me Romney thinks Palin should be anywhere near a position of power.”
    I wouldn’t try, since I deal with what is rational and supportable.
    I’d be interested to see you comments predicting that Romney would pick Ryan. The point being that a lot of people were surprised at who Romney would put “…anywhere near a position of power”.
    I DO know that Sarah supports R&R, and I expect her to fight and vote for them.

16. jane says:

Did Sarah tell you that persoanlly? Apparently you were satisfied with her “tepid” support even though some Romney supporters thought it thin. I figure she’ll vote for them – fight for them? harder to say.
    I made no comments regarding who Romney would pick as VP. Ryan strikes me as someone Romney would be comfortabe with – another party insider. Personally his choice of Ryan strikes me as one of his more positive actions. Ryan brings some life to the ticket.

17. Ragspierre says:

Yeah, I take Sarah at her word.
    I mean, the ones she speaks.
    As to Ryan, who else has had the orbs to openly take on entitlements.
    …who…?

18. Mainely Steve says:

With the backstabbing done by Romneys surrogates so he could get over her to where he is and the fact that Ryan continually voted party over principle, I think the lady has shown a ton of class just to support them at all!