Murdered Gamer Sean Smith Casts Doubt on Administration’s Non-Denial Denial of Awareness in Libyan Embassy Attack
Murdered gamer and FSO Sean Smith has been mentioned in multiple posts here for a reason. The administration has hastily issued a non-denial denial to Politico in response to a scandalous report in the Independent.
A U.S. official told POLITICO: “There’s no intelligence indicating that the attack in Benghazi was premeditated.”
I’ll assume it was done without Obama’s knowledge, as we already know he doesn’t mind sleeping through events of great national import.
The president was updated throughout the evening, and notified late Tuesday that Stevens was unaccounted for. Obama learned Wednesday that Stevens was confirmed dead Wednesday morning, the official said.
Powerline parses the language of the denial, calling it a non-denial of a sort.
… if you look more closely, it isn’t much of a denial.
But we already know at least one Foreign Service Officer, Sean Smith, – and likely more – suspected pre-meditation. He told the director of his Internet gaming guild hours before the attack. Note the “we” in Smith’s message. That alone immediately calls into question security procedures at the location – a location for which Hillary Clinton’s State Department bears responsibility.
Murdered FSO Sean Smith, “Assuming we don’t die tonight. We saw one of our ‘police’ that guard the compound taking pictures.”
Potentially even worse, the individual Smith identified may well have been the same one who, or part of a group that, later tipped the extremists to a “supposedly secret” safe house. As CBS reports, someone did.
Infiltrators within the security forces may have tipped off militants to the safe house location, he said.
This begins to raise all kinds of questions. Sean Smith sounded like someone in a heightened state of awareness that night. He was an experienced Foreign Service Officer. It was the anniversary of 9/11, for heaven’s sake. We had recently killed a key al Qaeda figure.
The Independent: “There were definitely people from the security forces who let the attack happen because they were themselves offended by the film; they would absolutely put their loyalty to the Prophet over the consulate. The deaths are all nothing compared to insulting the Prophet.” … That the attackers knew the safe house’s location suggests a “spy” inside the security forces tipped off the militants, he said. / CBS: According to security sources the consulate had been given a “health check” in preparation for any violence connected to the 9/11 anniversary.
Given the date, other recent anti-al Qaeda actions and additional dynamics, including on going instability in the region, a novice could conclude heightened security was needed. An FSO on location suspected something was up. The location passed a “Health Check,” at the very same time it now appears to have been infiltrated. That, and more, indicates we’ve only begun to ask the questions needed to learn what actually happened with regard to the Benghazi murders.
We also have a right to know who, besides Obama, who was in bed while all this played out, may have been asleep at the wheel at State, or elsewhere, as several Americans were attacked and murdered on the equivalent of American soil abroad. The administration’s hasty and weak non-denial denial is far from an adequate response to multiple reports coming from foreign journalists in the Middle-East because the American media is playing along with a game of misdirection thanks to the Obama administration, more interested in some silly movie no one has seen in full, or is even sure has actually been made – one that likely has nothing to do with the atrocity in Benghazi on the anniversary of 9/11.
Senior officials are increasingly convinced, however, that the ferocious nature of the Benghazi attack, in which rocket-propelled grenades were used, indicated it was not the result of spontaneous anger due to the video, called Innocence of Muslims. Patrick Kennedy, Under-Secretary at the State Department, said he was convinced the assault was planned due to its extensive nature and the proliferation of weapons.
There is growing belief that the attack was in revenge for the killing in a drone strike in Pakistan of Mohammed Hassan Qaed, an al-Qa’ida operative who was, as his nom-de-guerre Abu Yahya al-Libi suggests, from Libya, and timed for the anniversary of the 11 September attacks.
Thanks to an American media that would rather play ball with the Obama administration, giving it cover and endangering yet more Americans by exposing them, as opposed to getting to the bottom of the murders of several Americans abroad on technically our own soil, it is most likely going to require Congress to step in if we ever truly want to get to the bottom of events in Libya on September 11, 2012.
In fact, given even newer warnings of a domestic nature, Eric Holder’s DOJ may well have helped to all but put a target for Islamic extremists to hit on the back of an American citizen. The American people deserve and should demand more than the wild goose chase our media seems intent on pursuing at the behest of the very same Obama administration that now needs to start answering some questions, as opposed to feeding them to the media to be asked of others.
A U.S. intelligence bulletin warned today that the violent outrage aimed at U.S. embassies
spawned by a movie mocking the Prophet Mohammedcould be spread to America by extremist groups eager to “exploit anger.”