Fretting Feminists Attack Classic WWII Times Square Kissing Photo As Rape

October 9, 2012

The fretting-ly frustrated feminist brigade doesn’t need a reason to go after me. They instinctively sense I’m the enemy. I believe it’s pheromone based. So, I’ll just hand it off to Victory Girls and let them biatch slap da … gals at Feministing, among others.

…Far from being a kiss between a loving couple, we learn that George and Greta were perfect strangers. We learn that George was drunk, and that Greta had no idea of his presence, until she was in his arms, with his lips on hers… It seems pretty clear, then, what George had committed was sexual assault.” [Emphasise mine.]

Comments:
  1. […] …Unless you’re a member of the radical left who wants to deconstruct one of the most iconic images from the conclusion of World War II to score cheap rhetorical points: Fretting Feminists Attack Classic WWII Times Square Kissing Photo As Rape. […]

• gobsmacker says:

When asked to comment by the press, the sailor said, “I did not have sexual relations with that woman.” [/snarc]

• Micha Elyi says:

Don’t know what feminists call a “mini-rape”, do you? It means she was subjected to “the male gaze” (another feminist term you might not be familiar with). Uh huh, he looks at her and the knows-all-her-doctrine doctrinaire feminist is sure she’s been raped. So yes, in the land of the feminist mind, a woman can be raped in broad daylight in the middle of Times Square.

Very 1984 that sort of thinking is, isn’t it? There’s a reason George Orwell dressed the young women of the Junior Anti-Sex League in sashes reminiscent of early 20th century suffragettes (hat tip to the Martian Bachelor Scientist).

2. bobbymike says:

Has anyone seen other WWII video when the allies entered Paris and women were running up to our GI’s and kissing I mean ‘sexually assaulting’ them.

Works both ways feminist dumb asses.

• crackermike says:

Oh no it does NOT work both ways for the Feminazi’s. They like and demand it only work ONE way, and that is to their sorry ass’s advantage. THEY think THEY are the arbiters of everything. In reality, they are too damn dumb to figure out how a penis and vagina fit together.

3. Mike C says:

Wow… just, wow.

Let me frame what I’m about to say: I scored a 1520 out of 1600 on my SATs. My family and friends consider me a pretty smart guy with an extensive vocabulary. I run my own business in a field which requires top-notch writing skills, data management skills, critical-thinking skills, and a lot of creativity.

However, in this situation, profanity is the only appropriate response.

F@&k you, you f@&king f@&ked-up “feminist” f@&ks.

• jgreene says:

I heartily concur. STFU! Excellent post.

• Kilgore says:

I’m guessing your family and friends who consider you such a “smart guy” never taught you to be humble. I can see the logic in trying to defend such an iconic image, especially one which encapsulates one of the greatest moments in American history, but if the women didn’t give consent then it shouldn’t be a stretch to consider a random stranger grabbing her and kissing her sexual assault. And this is coming from a straight male not a “feminazi”.

• Danielle says:

Watch out! They might screen cap the bottom part and take it out of context!

4. Iudicius says:

Rape? How about they are about to start the baby boom?

Like you could actually rape someone in Times Square back in the forties!?!

5. Milhouse says:

Sorry, you’re wrong on this one. How was that *not* a sexual assault? It’s not that she gave the fellow no verbal assent to kiss her; it’s that she gave him *no indication at all* that a kiss would be welcome. He had no permission of any kind, explicit or implicit, to kiss her, so what exactly was he doing if not assaulting her? Can there be any question that today he’d be arrested and convicted?

And the fact that the woman never reported it, and didn’t make a big deal of it, is powerful proof that it was indeed a “rape culture”. It was a time when women simply had to put up with men assaulting them, when no woman could walk in the street safe from being molested by some stranger, and the men knew that they were taking no risk while the women knew that they could do nothing, so they had no choice but to try to ignore it.

Not everything in the past needs to be defended. And even a screeching feminist is right twice a decade.

• Doug says:

Go k#ss yourself.

• gobsmacker says:

To claim that her failure to report is “powerful proof…of a rape culture” is quite a stretch of the significance of this iconic photo. That the woman never reported it could indicate, instead, that she simply enjoyed it. Unless it was you or a relative of yours who appears in the picture, how do you know how she felt? It would be like me claiming you are easily offended without my knowing you, just from reading the one comment you’ve posted here. Are you, in fact, easily offended? Maybe you are, maybe you aren’t. Should I rush to judgment based on a single comment of yours? Or a single photo?

• Tashlan says:

Go bite yourself troll.

• jvon says:

Here she is, clearly traumatized by her horrific experience:

Twit.

• gobsmacker says:

“Everyone was kissing everyone else,” Shain said. “I was kissed twice. If I’d stayed any longer, I would have been kissed more. They kissed any female they could find.”

No surprise there. Beautiful at age 91, she must have been absolutely stunning at age 27 when the picture was taken.

• mot57 says:

There you have it, I would say that ends
        this whole idiot discussion…good work
        Jvon!

• ErikZ says:

From an interview with the woman: “I thought it was good,” said Davis, who was dressed Tuesday in his uniform, which still fits 55 years after he was discharged. “It gave a good feeling, that people were still human.”

So is this the problem Feminists have? Relating to Humans?

• Pettifogger says:

No question one should not go around kissing strange women on the street, and if one did, it should be punished–as a general rule.

But there are exceptions to every rule. My understanding of what was occurring was an impromptu celebration of the war’s end. People were jubilant. That this guy expressed his jubilance in a way that would ordinarily be inappropriate does not make him a rapist. Anyone who says it does is an ideological extremist.

If the woman were offended, it would have been fine for her to slap him. But she didn’t. I suspect she was jubilant at the war’s end, too. As long as the kiss was the end of it, under the peculiar circumstances, I see no harm.

• Paul Zummo says:

It must really suck to go through life so humorless and uptight. I truly am sorry for anyone in your immediate vicinity, because they are really dealing with a true charmer.

• Sigivald says:

Concur, at least on the first paragraph.

Note that the quoted analysis doesn’t call it “rape”, but “sexual assault”.

Rape? That’s the headline here.

(To be fair, if you drill down, they do blame “rape culture”, but that’s a different (stupid) beast than claiming this kiss is rape. Which they do not claim, contra the headline here.)

But a tongue kiss from some stranger you didn’t give permission to?

I’d call that “sexual assault”, albeit of a minor sort.

• Millstreet says:

Near the end of the movie Groundhog day, there’s a scene where Bill Murray gives some newlyweds tickets to wrestlemania. The woman (unasked) kisses Bill Murray, the man going for equality, kisses Andie MacDowell. Did Hollywood just film two sexual assaults?

• mot57 says:

You truly need help, seriously!

• Danielle says:

I hope you know that the woman in that article was not the woman in the photo. The duo in the photo was George Mendosa and Greta Zimmer Friedman. But don’t worry, this wouldn’t be the first time a ‘screeching feminist’ doesn’t get their facts straight.

6. Dismuke says:

I’ll bet you you won’t hear this crowd complain about what the virtuous Soviet sons of Stalin did to the women of Berlin at the end of the war.

• New Class Traitor says:

They all knew two German words/phrases:
      “Uhre!” ([I want your] watches)
      and
      “Kumm Frau” (come here woman)
      And it wasn’t “kissing” but actual rape.

7. jack says:

If “sexual assault” equally describes a kiss in the street and a gang rape in the street, the term has been made useless.

8. Kevin M says:

Bet you this would have been OK:

9. Muggeridge’s Law strikes again.

There are some interesting faultlines in the looney liberal left. One is that between the neo-hedonists who consider Brave New World an utopia (with universal casual promiscuous s3x), and the neo-puritans who consider 1984 an utopia.

10. Joe says:

How dare they slut-shame this sailor.

11. Byond Politics says:

Sexual assault encompasses rape, as well as other things. Equating the two is nonsensical.

12. Louis Wheeler says:

Take a look at her left hand; was she resisting? No.

Yes, people can get carried away by the moment. There once was a time when women liked passion in a man. Soon enough, she would let him know what the limits were.

Her body posture, her very relaxation, said he wasn’t even close to offending her.

13. […] “sexual assault” is not “rape” as some do, doesn’t save the classification. Sexual Assault serves as the misdemeanor […]

14. Manavelin says:

Ok, I’ve meet BOTH of these people in person and had the pleasure to talk with them both at length TOGETHER. (BTW, the ladies name is Edith Shine, not “Greta” have some respect) NEITHER of them thought there was anything wrong about their kiss. (As a side note Edith died last year and George died the year before so all this is a mute point) So ALL OF THIS IS COMPLEAT LOAD OF STEAMING HORSE CRAP!

15. E.V.C. says:

okay so this picture is old, the couple in the picture are old, and this argument is old. if your really going to go and proclaim he had “raped”, or “sexually assaulted” the woman, well i do believe you are not that woman. if she really thought it to be rape this picture would never of been known to the world. so please excuse my language and Shut. The. Fuck. Up. cause your argument is older then your grand parents, and this is coming from a 17, female who took the time to read your posts and see your all going on about something that isn’t your choice to decide whether or not its rape or not its was hers and his to decide and i hate to break it to you but i don’t think they minded much :/