Regarding Tonight

November 7, 2012

Media bias, voter fraud, dirty tricks, dishonest ads – yep, no argument there. To what extent any, or all played a part, no one will ever be able to fully nail down. And I won’t begrudge the man or woman who needs to vent, or rant and rave against them.

But an election is still an accounting. When you count up the final score, we lost – they won.

Maybe I’ll pick his effort apart one day, maybe I won’t – but my heart goes out to Mitt Romney tonight because I don’t think he left anything on the table in his effort to win – and for the right reasons, not the wrong ones.

We’ll pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and we’ll fight, again. We’ll do that because we aren’t losers – we are Americans.

Any notion that that suddenly doesn’t matter, or mean anything, or isn’t still as wonderful as it always has been is just bullshit.

I’m not having any of it, no matter how profound may be my current disappointment.

We will fight and we will win, again.  To do anything else would be un-American. But you know that, already, or you never would have saddled up in the first place.

I’m every bit as confident in my many conservative friends and most of our true leaders tonight, as I’ve ever been.

If you aren’t feeling that tonight, I understand. But I believe you, me and we all will be, soon.

That’s just the way we roll out here.

Good night, friends.

Comments:
  1. Heather Lapollo says:

Thank you Dan. You’re right, being American is and always will be a wonderful thing … but to me it is an identity much more than a nationality. The hard thing to accept is that there are far fewer of us with such an identity than I had hoped. And, that said, how can we ever rebuild? If this country was founded upon a set of ideals that only half of us continue to share, are we really a ‘country’ at all anymore? If not what are we, and what will/should we become?

• Conor says:

America would not have needed to rebuild if it wasn’t for the last Republican in office. Be thankful that the majority of Americans did not err in their judgement the way that you obviously did.

• Ragspierre says:

Sure they would, you moron.

The housing bubble was CAUSED by Collectivist policy. It was INFLATED by Collectivist policy.

Bush tried to head off that disaster.

Now, Obama is working to re-inflate THAT bubble and several others, as well.

• Conor says:

There is blame to give to both Democrats and Republicans (but mostly the latter, unless you’re a partisan zealot). The housing crash accounted for one trillion dollars of the Recession… Yes, the Bush administration worked so relentlessly to avoid it that he added an additional nine trillion dollars to your deficit… I’m sure that you enjoyed it as he granted tax cut upon tax cut to of all his business-élite contributors, most of whom assuredly needn’t have worried about the housing market, & earmarked a disturbing number bills. He also had you finance two wars (one of which was unnecessary- Iraq) and did not set specific budgetary limits to private contractor. I won’t even begin to waste my time reminding you about what that administration allowed banking executives to accomplish.

But I suppose you can just shrug those off, right? Since he wasn’t a Democrat.

Collectivism is government at its core, genius. The few decide at the behest of the many, that is why they are elected.

In the end, you’re American while I am Canadian, and while you may be wearing rags instead of robes, I still guillotined your biased “logic”.

2. LeftCoastCon says:

Um…sorry.

We won’t win again, because we can’t.

Except for 2010, conservatives have consistently been on the losing side since 2006. Not coincidentally, the GOP has aggressively opposed allying itself with conservatism in those elections. In effect, the Establishment GOP helped the Democrats kill off conservatism as a viable national ideal.

If there’s a revolution, call me. Otherwise, leave me the hell alone. I’m tired of horrific defeats followed by pep talks leading to yet another defeat.

God must hate the (struggling-to-be-)righteous. If he even exists.

3. GeorgeB says:

I wish it were so, but accept that Progressives have won – in more ways than you realize. There is no GOP. Not anymore.

Progressives control both parties. Liberalism and Conservatism do not exist in D.C., save for the few hapless souls who cling to those values. America is an oligarchy, ruled by anti-American elitists hellbent on her destruction. There won’t be further elections.

They’ve prepared for this for over 100 years and now there is no hope of stopping them short of revolution. However, few Americans have the stomach, so enjoy the downfall of our once great nation.

4. Xiaoding says:

First, welcome back Dan, I hope your stay in the hospital was enjoyable!

Now, second, I CALLED IT! Six months ago!

Despite all the delusional enthusiam whipped up by the Repubs, and FALSE conservatives, I held fast. There is some satisfaction in that.

The spectacle, of American conservatives, yet again, eating up whatever the Republicans dished out of the toilet bowl, was shameful to see. They have proven, by their behavior, their utter vapidness, their total lack of a soul, that there is nothing so base, as the Amercan Conservative. Turncoats!

They could have used this election, as an opportunity, to get rid of one of the statist parties. Instead, they embraced statism. They choose party over country, YET AGAIN.

Sadly, most of the Tea Party folks, are also in that group. Time to trash the Tea Party, good intentions, feckless membership. Lack of vision.

The Tea Party has been obliterated by the Republicans, and the Tea Party has only itself to blame.

I am seriously, really, really…really, considering writing off conservatives for good. Have they not proven, how utterly useless they are?

Romney was a terrible candidate, voted in by a terrible party. Good man, sure. This country needs more than that.

The Lords will, be done.

• angstly yours says:

Well-stated. I may not agree with all
      you said, but I certainly agree with the
      tenor. Conservatism seems to be
      fractured into subsets, which allows the
      much more cohesive liberals to win. I
      truly do not know where we go from here.
      It is disturbing, disappointing, and
      disheartening.

• Ragspierre says:

Stupid, deluded, and wrong, as usual, dingy.

Lemme know how that Dingy party (of one) works out for ya…

Romney was a far better candidate than I could have dreamed he would be, with a killer running mate and a clear message.

For reasons of their own, a slim majority of Americans made the wrong choice.

5. ltw says:

I’ve heard your analysis before. It is no different than some of my family members. Your hope lies where? Revenge?

My hope is centered in God’s love, mercy and faithfulness:

God’s loyal love couldn’t have run out,
    his merciful love couldn’t have dried up.
    They’re created new every morning.
    How great your faithfulness!
    I’m sticking with God (I say it over and over).
    He’s all I’ve got left.

Lamentations 3:22-23

6. Ragspierre says:

Thanks for your demonstration of hate-twisted Collectivist poo-smearing.

• Ragspierre's Mom says:

Son, please stop playing online. I told you to clean your room, otherwise you cannot have the keys to the minivan.

And take down that Romney/Ryan poster that you have above your bed. You’re beginning to look pathetic.

7. Xiaoding says:

Now now, give Rags time to cry. Because that’s what losers do, they cry.

Can’t be easy, watching that mirror you have been gazing into the last two years, break into a million pieces!

Obama was BEATABLE. But at no time during the last two years, was the outcome of the election ever in doubt. Not to those with eyes to see. Romney was, indeed, the best a wasted and fatuous party could come up with. And conservatives lapped it up, just as good lapdogs do.

Any hope of a Reagan/Carter moment, was sheer delusion. With the internet firmly in place, THOSE DAYS ARE GONE.

• Ragspierre says:

I certainly am not crying, dingy, and you are the loser.

You don’t have a properly wired brain, as you show constantly.

8. Ragspierre's Mom says:

Ad hominem? Does that have anything to do with the stains on the Michelle Bachman picture you have under your mattress?

9. Concerned says:

The tears and butt-hurt are epic today. As predicted. Also predictable – Clownspierre insisting that it should be listened to after its hilarious meme-creating track record.

• Ragspierre says:

No crying from me.

American voters chose…by a very thin margin…to continue the plunge toward catastrophic failure instead of reform.

Totally consistent with my understanding of our democratic republic.

People have a right to screw themselves. Sometimes they learn. With you, not so much…

10. Mike G. says:

Even when Liberals win, they whine. Must be a cultural thing.