Emilie Parker, 6: One of many victim’s stories worth telling

December 15, 2012

All of the stories of the many victims of Adam Lanza and his madness are worth telling. And it was Adam Lanza and his madness that killed so much innocence, not any implement, or number of them, gun, or otherwise. Six-year-old Emilie Parker stood out so soon for me because it offered a glimmer of hope and inspiration amidst so much horror.

Among the 20 children killed is Emilie Parker, the daughter of Robbie and Alyssa Parker who grew up in the Ogden area. They still have family in Utah, family that like so many others boarded flights and headed to the small town of Newton, Conn., to offer and receive what comfort they can.

via ksl.com.

Her parents were actually photographed here – see below.

Robbie and Alyssa Parker leave a firehouse staging area following a shooting at the Sandy Hook School in Newtown, Conn. where authorities say a gunman opened fire, leaving 27 people dead, including 20 children, Friday, Dec. 14, 2012. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)

The photo below is from a slide show here in this story via KSL.com, with an additional story here. Emilie Parker (below, right) was the oldest of three children. The quote below is from her grandfather, Randy Parker.

“My son and his wife are tucking their children into bed, and there’s an empty bed. And it breaks my heart,” he said.

Emilie Parker’s father Robbie Parker is quoted in another story via the AP.  I can’t imagine his pain, or the vision that allows him to speak as he does there. Perhaps it’s part shock, or part needing to go on for his other children. Maybe it’s a form of grace he’s being given simply to endure. I have no idea.

Emilie Parker, 6, student

Quick to cheer up those in need of a smile, Emilie Parker never missed a chance to draw a picture or make a card.

Her father, Robbie Parker, fought back tears as he described the beautiful, blonde, always-smiling girl who loved to try new things, except food.

Parker, one of the first parents to publicly talk about his loss, expressed no animosity for the gunman, even as he struggled to explain the death to his other two children, ages 3 and 4. He’s sustained by the fact that the world is better for having had Emilie in it.

“I’m so blessed to be her dad,” he said.

There’s a Facebook page and fund set up on Emile and her family’s behalf. I’d encourage readers to visit and support Emile and her family, along with the many others impacted by this tragedy. I simply cannot imagine what they find themselves forced to endure.

A Facebook page called the Emilie Parker Fund was set up Friday, eliciting heartfelt sorrow among strangers, friends, well-wishers reeling from the tragedy.

“I’ve been crying for you all day,” posted Suzy Steed. “I’m so very sorry for your loss. I will continue to pray for you.”

Wrote Angela Hoerst, “Sweet baby … robbed of her life too soon. You have all of my tears this day little one.”

Friends say the tragedy is the second to hit the family in just a few short months. The girl’s grandfather and Alyssa Parker’s father, Douglas Cottle, of Ogden, died in October — 10 days after a bicycle crash in a race he participated in from Logan to Jackson, Wyo.

Comments:
  1. [...] Emilie Parker, Female, 05-12-06 … Emilie is on the right… Fighting back tears and struggling to catch [...]

2. Joyce Preedy says:

Dear Parker Family,and to the other families who lost their beloved loved ones:

Our deepest condolences are with you all at this very difficult time. Emili was a beautiful girl as well as the other children and faculty members. They will missed dearly. Our hearts and prayers are with you all. R.I.P. Emily and the other little angels.

Sincerely yours,

Joyce Preedy

3. Joyce Preedy says:

Our hearts and prayers go out to everyone who lost a child or parent during this horrific event. R.I.P. little angels. Will be dearly missed by all.

Sincerely yours,

Joyce Preedy

4. [...] Parker’s life is worth telling…  her father seems to be full of amazing grace as he spoke to the [...]

5. Roberta Burnell says:

Im so sorry for your lost. Emilie was a beautiful baby and God is still Good and he is able. She will always be in your heart. I ask that God be with you all always. We are praying.

6. Marsha says:

I am comforted after seeing Emilie’s dad speaking about love,forgiveness, and appreciation. I pray that we all may see things through the eyes of Robbie Parker.
    God sent this man forward to give guidance to all of us who are wandering aimlessly trying to make some sense of this tragedy. May God bless and comfort his people, all of them.

7. Mag Penn says:

God bless. Your speech gave me such an insight into our Lord, thank you . My prayers. May our God keep you, yours and all of us.(Too overwhelm)

8. Reba Wolfswinkel says:

Robbie, I just saw you spoke about your little Emilie. She looks like an angel and now is one for real. I know she would make you a card and give it to you if she could. I know she will always be with you. What a precious gift she was and her memories are. I am so very sorry for your loss. God be with you.

9. Ashlee Davis says:

Dear the Parker Family,
    I am so sorry for your loss. When I was watching the news I saw her picture and it brought tears to my eyes. My neice is that old and I dont know what I would do without her. She means the world to me and I know Emilie had meant the world to you and your family. And if there is an address I can send you my condulences to you I would be much ablided. My prayers are with you and your family. But if you think about it Emilie is in a better place, where she wont be harmed again and she will always be with you within your hearts and thoughts. May God always be with you and your family.
    Thank you.

10. Bonnie Starr says:

So sorry for your loss. I was watching TV and heard your story. I knew by your language that you were a member of the church at that time. Our prayers are with you. Thanks heaven for the plan of salvation. You will be together again with Emilie and Heavenly Father.

11. Philis Dean says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to Emilie’s Mother and Father. I have heard all the news reports talking about Emilie and how much she loved horses. Sunday, December 16th, my horse Comanche had a severe case of Colic and had to be euthanized by my Vet. I have been struggling with his loss all week until this morning. It was like God tapped me on the shoulder and said….”HELLO…Emilie, needed a very special friend in heaven and your Comanche was sent to be with her.” What a wonderful feeling came over me. This was something that I felt I needed to share with you all. God bless you all.

12. brand says:

Does anyone believe the new hamp plan will get anything done?