Photo: Von I. Meyer, 60, threatened killings at elementary school, many guns were collectibles
Can you say copycat? It’s also more likely purely rhetorical, given that he made a threat and didn’t simply act on it. But his guns are what the media will highlight. That’s the narrative.
Early Friday morning, police were called to the home of Von I. Meyer, 60, in 9300 block of West 133rd Avenue, after it was reported that he threatened to set his wife on fire after she fell asleep, according to a statement from Cedar Lake police.
Meyer also said he was going to enter the Jane Ball Elementary School – less than 1,000 feet from his home – and “kill as many people as he could before police could stop him,” the statement said.
Police notified school officials and security measures were taken at all local schools on Friday, the statement said.
Hidden in his 2-story, “historic” home, authorities found 47 guns and ammunition with an estimated value of over $100,000, the statement said. Many of the guns seized during the search were collector’s items, the statement said.
Saturday morning, formal charges were filed against Meyer, who police said is a known member of motorcycle gang, and a search warrant was issued.
That afternoon, West 133rd Avenue was closed while authorities entered Meyer’s home, which is connected to the school by a series of trails and walking paths in a wooded area, and took custody of Meyer without incident.
More RiehlWorldView News
- Several Influential Conservatives Favor Comcast Merger
- Why Did Dylan Byers Discreetly Change His Mike Rogers Cumulus Story?
- Cue the Outrage Mongers: AmSpec – Michelle Malkin Is Wrong
- Why Romney’s Attack On Obama Is Misguided
- Dateline 4/11/2007: Why Chris Hayes was “quietly crying” into his sweater
- Ukraine Calls Up 40,000 Reservists
- US Navy SEALs Take Oil Tanker From Libyan Rebels
- PA Teacher Emily Nesbit, 31, ‘performed sex act on student, 18, in classroom, ‘sent partially nude photos’
- AFP: Ukraine reports Russian ‘invasion’ on eve of Crimea ‘breakaway’ vote
- Iowa Dad Stan Syring, 37 Busted For Craigslist Offer to Suck the Chrome Off A Trailer Hitch