Mitch McConnell’s Poor Leadership Needs To End One Way Or Another

March 10, 2014

There’s a troubling pattern developing with Republican Senator Mitch McConnell here. While I wasn’t a big fan of Ted Cruz’s previous government shutdown strategy, I watched McConnell’s actions in and around it and found his behavior far more troubling than Cruz’s.

In effect, Cruz stood down and the shut down meme should have died out just as the Affordable Care Act, or ObamaCare began generating bad headlines for the administration. But that didn’t suit Mitch McConnell’s selfish purposes. Fearing a challenge from the Right – one he is in fact now facing from Matt Bevin in Kentucky – it was Mitch McConnell working to keep the shutdown meme in the news purely as a way of demonizing Cruz and any and all of the more conservative members of the Republican Party.

In essence, while claiming to be a good leader, instead of quickly putting the shutdown behind the GOP, as a good leader would, he worked to divide the party even more purely for his own selfish advantage. Those are not the actions of a good leader. They are the actions of a self-serving, small-minded power hungry politician who has already been in Washington far too long. And now, he”s doing it, again.

Republican Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell predicted the GOP establishment will destroy conservative insurgents attempting to unseat a trio incumbents in an interview with the New York Times published on Sunday.

Fresh off his CPAC silliness – McConnell waves musket, falls flat at CPAC – he couldn’t keep himself from running to his real friends and constituents at the New York Times to trash talk the very same conservatives he just the day before tried to court. Frankly, that’s such a foolish move, his judgment, as well as his leadership, is in question at this point.

Furthermore, let’s not forget, it was also Mitch McConnell behind these young punks at the NRSC like Brad Dayspring who spent the last few months telling us how these challengers from the Right were little more than a joke. Clearly that’s not the case and McConnell is now feeling so threatened he’s being forced to engage them more directly.

Taken as a whole, from his actions directly after the shutdown, to his self-serving manipulations of the NRSC, to his new quotes in the New York Times, McConnell has exposed himself as an unworthy leader of the Republican Party – even if he does ultimately win his primary.

Personally, I see no reason for conservatives to support McConnell even in any potential general election. It’s time to put an end to the divide and conquer politics of a too-long-in the-tooth GOP leadership that refuses to relinquish power to a much needed new generation of Republicans. If McConnell and too many of his fellow Republicans won’t step aside as they should, it’s time for conservatives to send a clear message that we will no longer be attacked and demonized relentlessly, only to be told to get in line at election time.

I’m quite serious when I say that I am now so disgusted with McConnell’s weak and divisive leadership, if he does beat Bevin in the primary, I would then prefer to see his Democrat opponent win in the general because I am absolutely convinced he’s the wrong man to continue to have a leadership role in the GOP going forward.

He needs to go, even at the cost of seeing a Democrat elected in Kentucky. As an actual Reagan Democrat, I am done supporting Republicans intent on betraying the limited government, common sense politics for which I initially began to support them some decades ago. I may not like the Democrat Party, but at least they are honest about what they are, as opposed to Republicans like Mitch McConnell.

More via On notice: Mitch McConnell is ready to “crush” the Tea Party « Hot Air.

Comments:
  1. BARRY says:

HERE IS THE POINT. McConnell DID NON JUST SUDDENLY BECOME A CRAZY OLD MAN. HE’S BEEN A CRAZY OLD MAN FOR OVER A DECADE. THE POINT IS THE GOP ALLOWED THIS NUT JOB, NO ENABLED THIS NUT JOB. NEITHER PEOPLE LIKE McConnell, NOR PARTIES LIKE THE GOP CAN BE TOLERTED, NO, SUVIVED BY THE NATION ANYMORE. THIS IS JUST ABOUT THE LAST CHANCE. THERE ARE MORE McConnell(S). BOEHNER FOR ONE. BUT, BUT, I KNOW WHAT YOU’RE GOING TO SAY: “THE SYSTEM.” THE SHORTEST ANSWER I CAN GIVE YOU IS THIS: YOU, WE, HAVE TO PUT THE “RISK OF LOSS” BACK IN THE GAME. NO MORE INSIDE DEAL, GOOD OL’ BOY, BUD CRAP. NONE. YOU’RE KILLING THE NATION AND OUR KIDS WITH THAT CRAP. AND, CALL A SHOVEL A SHOVEL: THE BUSHES, ROMNEY, DOLE, McCAIN, FORD, AND THEIR ILK, ROVE, ET AL, PRESIDENTIAL TIMBER? IN A PIGS EYE! TIMES UP. TIDES UP. SEA CHANGE TIME, AND FOREVER. BRING BACK A FAIR GAME AND FAIR UMPS. BRING BACK COMPETITION IN EVERYTHING AND BAN ALL FIXES. NO MORE BETTING ON BASEBALL AND BUYING THE UMPS.BRING BACK COMPETITION AND A FAIR RISK OF TOTAL AND ABSOLUTE, GO BROKE LOSS!

• BARRY says:

HERE IS THE POINT. McConnell DID NOT JUST SUDDENLY BECOME A CRAZY OLD MAN. HE’S BEEN A CRAZY OLD MAN FOR OVER A DECADE. THE POINT IS, THE GOP ALLOWED THIS NUT JOB, NO ENABLED THIS NUT JOB. NEITHER PEOPLE LIKE McConnell, NOR PARTIES LIKE THE GOP CAN BE TOLERATED, OR EVEN SUVIVED, BY THE NATION ANYMORE. THIS MAY BE A LAST CHANCE. THERE ARE MORE McConnell(S). SPEAKER BOEHNER FOR ONE. BUT, BUT… I KNOW WHAT YOU’RE GOING TO SAY: “THE TEAM SYSTEM.” THE SHORTEST ANSWER I CAN GIVE YOU IS THIS: YOU, WE, HAVE TO PUT THE “RISK OF LOSS” BACK IN THE GAME. NO MORE INSIDER’S DEAL, GOOD OL’ BOY, BUDDY CRAP. NONE. YOU, WE ARE KILLING THE NATION AND OUR KIDS WITH THAT CRAP. AND, CALL A SHOVEL A SHOVEL: THE BUSHES, ROMNEY, DOLE, McCAIN, FORD, AND THEIR ILK, ROVE, ET AL, PRESIDENTIAL TIMBER? IN A PIGS EYE! TIMES UP. TIDES UP. SEA CHANGE TIME, AND FOREVER. BRING BACK A FAIR GAME AND FAIR UMPS. BRING BACK COMPETITION IN EVERYTHING, AND HARSHLY BAN ALL FIXES. NO MORE BETTING ON BASEBALL, NO MORE BRIBING THE UMPS. BRING BACK FAIR COMPETITION AND A FAIR RISK OF TOTAL AND ABSOLUTE, GO BROKE, LOSS!

• Steve T says:

Dude,
        It is really hard to read all caps. I simply skip over all caps comments. Please don’t do it any more.

2. iizthatiiz says:

It’s time for Mitch to begin trudging off to the elephant graveyard. I agree with you Dan. At least with Grimes we’d know what we are dealing with. #Bevin2014

3. Kaye says:

I can’t believe I’m about to take issue with something Mark Levin posted on Facebook because he’s the only one I listen to consistently (having not missed a show since September 2008 and read all of his books and have a tremendous amount of respect for) but here goes…..I don’t recall Ted Cruz ever mentioning he wanted to shut down the government. Not once. In fact I recall him saying quite the contrary – that he didn’t want that to happen. Maybe I’m wrong, but the only thing I recall was him taking issue with Obamacare and defunding or delaying it. Obama and Harry Reid saw to it that the government was shut down because they didn’t want Republicans to get the credit for doing exactly what Obama just did – which was to delay implementation of portions of Obamacare that are going to lead to 10’s of millions of people losing the health insurance they already have and like. And as far as Democrats being honest? Wow, when are they ever honest? I don’t think they know the meaning of the word. I’ve never seen a group as a whole that are more dishonest. I would never vote for a Democrat – they have gone far to far off the rails and my conscience would haunt me for the rest of my life. Mitch McConnell has proven to be a big disappointment, that I agree with, but I still wouldn’t want him replaced with a Democrat who rarely stands against the leadership of their party for the good of the country. They do only what they perceive is good for the party and our country is suffering greatly because of that.

• Ragspierre says:

Yep. This…^^^^

• JimBear says:

So much for the “big tent” the Rinos claim they want when they throw Reagan in our faces. Has any party ever attacked such a significant voting block of their own base like the GOP establishment? So much for expanding the party. What clueless morons. For me its pretty clear. Vote conservative in the primary and stay home in the general if an unacceptable Rino wins (Graham). The only exception I would make is if the leadership (Boehner, McConnell, Cantor, Ryan) wins I would vote for their Democratic opponents just to cut the head off the snake.

There is no other option.
      Payback is a Mitch!

4. […] Riehl has continually pointed out what the NRSC is up to with McConnell’s blessings.  His latest piece shows just how useful McConnell is to the left by dividing his own forces and showing terribly bad […]

5. Jeff says:

I never comment on articles and yet here I am. I pledged to financially support the conservative opponent of McConnell. I hope other constitution supporting Americans do the same.

6. Robert Mackey says:

It is time to make the established un-established. Nothing will change with the RINO’s

7. Damn well put, Dan – bravo.

8. […] Mitch McConnell’s Poor Leadership Needs To End One Way Or Another Go to this article […]

9. Rick America says:

its as simple as two words…TERM LIMITS!…the cure of all political b.s.

10. countenance says:

First off, have you ever noticed that upon a very short and superficial glance, Mitch McConnell and Harry Reid look alike?

Now to the meat of the matter.

I wonder what McConnell is thinking with his little shotgun stunt. He must not realize that all the low information voters are in the other party.

11. Pat Carfagno says:

HOW IS IT NOT RACISM when over 20% of black youth unemployed, & the pro amnesty types bark consistently about how we need the labor pool that is the illegal immigrant population. Why are their lobbyists clients not hiring black males?

12. […] Over at his joint, Dan Riehl lays out the case why McConnell’s ‘Poor Leadership Needs To End One Way Or Another‘. […]

13. Sara says:

It’s the arrogance he emits. It burns.
    This man is convinced we serve him, not the other way around.
    It’s past time we set the man straight.

14. bruce.rademacher says:

McConnell would rather be minority leader than majority nothing. There are numerous spineless fence sitters that would vote against him if they thought he would lose. He knows a swap of a dozen seats to the Tea Party they would smell blood.

15. […] Over at his joint, Dan Riehl lays out the case why McConnell’s ‘Poor Leadership Needs To End One Way Or Another‘. […]

16. I think Grimes, while problematic in some respects (she’s a Democrat, and her father is Jerry Lundergan-nuff said) on balance she’s a fresh face, young (in political terms, anyway), and has come out in support of the Second Amendment. She even challenged McConnell to a shooting range contest, which is probably why Mitch made that silly musket appearance at CPAC.

You can always tell when a politician has been around too long. They think we are all too stupid to know when they’re yanking our chains. That’s Mitch in a nutshell.

17. Ragspierre says:

“…and has come out in support of the Second Amendment.”

Um… You really should have to wear a “DUPE” sign in public.